Yet another borrowing example question

princesslover

DIS Veteran
For some reason, I am struggling wrapping my head around the banking, borrowing and UY. I am so frustrated with myself for not getting it.

Here is my example. We just came back from Disney last week, April of 2019, where we used banked points and have a balance of 0. We would like to plan a December 2020 trip, in one year and 8 months if it is feasible. Our UY is December. We currently have 100 points due in our account December 1. So it will look like this:

12/1/18 -11/30/19 UY= 0 points
12/1/19 - 11/30/20 UY = 100 points
12/1/20-11/30/21 UY 100 points (our potential vacation would be in this UY)

When looking at borrowing points, is it based on the UY the vacation will fall in? So our vacation would ideally fall within the window of 12/1/20-11/30/21. Can we borrow points from the December 21 UY? When I make the reservation at the 11 month window, I will only have 100 points. But my understanding is that the booking window does not come into play when borrowing points, it is the use year the vacation is in. I am wondering if we could potentially have more than 200 points to work with, since it is premier season.

Sorry if this is confusing.

When you borrow/bank points, they go into the use year you are borrowing/banking from/to. The effectively become that use year's points, forever. If your trip is December 2020, you would be banking (not borrowing) from your 2019 UY into 2020 UY. Since your next trip is December 2020 - You will not be using any of your 2019 points and will need to bank all of them to 2020 by July 31 next year. Or you could borrow 2021 points at time of booking if you needed to. The word borrow is weird though. It's permanent.

You must use points for the given use year that your trip falls. So in your case, you will be using 2020 points. At the 11 month window, you can either choose to borrow points from 2021 use year, or bank points from 2019 use year. For you, it is especially confusing considering your use year is technically 1 year after you get the points (because you technically only have 1 month in your use year...as in 11 out of the 12 months of your 2020 use year are in 2021).

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
When you borrow/bank points, they go into the use year you are borrowing/banking from/to. The effectively become that use year's points, forever. If your trip is December 2020, you would be banking (not borrowing) from your 2019 UY into 2020 UY. Since your next trip is December 2020 - You will not be using any of your 2019 points and will need to bank all of them to 2020 by July 31 next year. Or you could borrow 2021 points at time of booking if you needed to. The word borrow is weird though. It's permanent.

You must use points for the given use year that your trip falls. So in your case, you will be using 2020 points. At the 11 month window, you can either choose to borrow points from 2021 use year, or bank points from 2019 use year. For you, it is especially confusing considering your use year is technically 1 year after you get the points (because you technically only have 1 month in your use year...as in 11 out of the 12 months of your 2020 use year are in 2021).

I hope this helps.

Yes - thank you. The December UY is really confusing to me in some respects with the changing years, and add to that a December vacation and it makes my head spin.

I should have said that I would be baking the 2019 points for use in 2020. My question is whether I could still borrow some points from 2021 if we were short, or is that not allowed since I am already using banked points. Thank you for your help. I know I should know this.

You can bank and borrow points into a single use year. So, potentially, you could book a reservation with 300 points if you wanted (as long as you had the points to bank and borrow).

So you will bank 100 points from 2019 UY into 2020 UY. That will give you 200 points for your December 2020 trip (2020 UY). If you need 220 points for your reservation, you can take the extra 20 from 2021 UY, leaving you with 80 points starting on Dec 2021.

i totally get it - December is tough to keep track of!
@stewart715 is correct, you can bank and borrow into a single use year, but once you do that there's no going back.
Also, you're correct that it doesn't matter what points you have in your account on booking day, the system knows/calculates what points will be available during the vacation's UY. You would need to bank them before booking so that the system knows you want current points to be used for the next UY. You can borrow points during the reservation so that you are borrowing the exact number you need.

I have a December use year and I get confused too. It’s handy to use the online booking section of the DVC website. I just booked a trip to Aulani in January 2020 and was able to borrow from Dec 2021 use year, I’m still confused about it, but I’m happy I have the room reserved

You can bank and borrow points into a single use year. So, potentially, you could book a reservation with 300 points if you wanted (as long as you had the points to bank and borrow).

So you will bank 100 points from 2019 UY into 2020 UY. That will give you 200 points for your December 2020 trip (2020 UY). If you need 220 points for your reservation, you can take the extra 20 from 2021 UY, leaving you with 80 points starting on Dec 2021.

Thank you! That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear. It just feels weird that I can book at 11 months with only a measily 100 points, but book up to 300. That is pretty cool though. I told my daughter that we had to have the points when we booked, so I thought we'd be limited. She'll be happy! Unfortunately, we are limited to school breaks, and that puts us in magic or premier almost always, and the points are killing us. Thanks again!!

I have a December use year and I get confused too. It’s handy to use the online booking section of the DVC website. I just booked a trip to Aulani in January 2020 and was able to borrow from Dec 2021 use year, I’m still confused about it, but I’m happy I have the room reserved

It is confusing. I get the 2020 in points December 2020, but I am booking the end of January 2020 (11 months window) with only 100 points, and booking using both 2020 and 2021 points. I kept thinking: "this can't be the right way to do it." I am glad it worked for you!

Last edited:
i totally get it - December is tough to keep track of!
@stewart715 is correct, you can bank and borrow into a single use year, but once you do that there's no going back.
Also, you're correct that it doesn't matter what points you have in your account on booking day, the system knows/calculates what points will be available during the vacation's UY. You would need to bank them before booking so that the system knows you want current points to be used for the next UY. You can borrow points during the reservation so that you are borrowing the exact number you need.

In this case, I will need to bank 2019 almost as soon as I get them, because I am booking the next month. It still feels weird to me that I can use 2021's points (borrowed) when I haven't even got 2020 points yet, but it is because my vacation itself is booked during the dec2020 UY. That is the hard part for me to wrap my head around. But it is nice to have that flexibility when you are dealing with magic and premier season and may need an extra cushion. Thanks for your help!

In this case, I will need to bank 2019 almost as soon as I get them, because I am booking the next month. It still feels weird to me that I can use 2021's points (borrowed) when I haven't even got 2020 points yet, but it is because my vacation itself is booked during the dec2020 UY. That is the hard part for me to wrap my head around. But it is nice to have that flexibility when you are dealing with magic and premier season and may need an extra cushion. Thanks for your help!
This is why when you sign into dvcmember.com and click 'My Vacation Points' in the 'My DVC Membership' menu they will show you point allocations for 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021. They show you this because these are use years that you can in some way, shape or form move points around to and from. So whatever years you see in that list are the use years you can potentially bank/borrow from/to.

I should also note: better to not think of it as "I haven't gotten those points yet." You don't get points on the first day of your UY month. Reservations after the first day of your UY month are simply applied to that UY. So maybe it's that line of thinking that is confusing you. The points are loaded into your account already for every use year, you have them all. It's simply which UY does this reservation pull points from?

I just booked a trip to Aulani in January 2020 and was able to borrow from Dec 2021 use year, I’m still confused about it, but I’m happy I have the room reserved

Wait.
Unless it’s too late for me to be doing UY math...

December 2021 points can only be borrowed back to 2020 UY, so that’s December 2020 through November 2021.

Your January 2020 trip would be in your 2019 UY.

Please recheck what was used...

I told my daughter that we had to have the points when we booked, so I thought we'd be limited. She'll be happy!

If you realize that “having”
the points in the way you’re thinking would mean that you can NEVER use current UY points for a trip, maybe it’ll help you see how it works?

If I’m interested in a February 2020 trip, and I am using my February UY, then I’m booking March 2019 and wouldn’t “have” the points in the way you understand. No one would ever be able to book like that.

Make sense to see it from that angle?

So it doesn’t work that way.

These are the steps:

1. What UY does this planned trip happen in?
2. When can I book that?
3. Do I have points that can be used for that trip?

If you still had, and only had, 2018 points, the answer is NO, those can’t be used for the December 2020 trip.

As it is, you have points from the UY before that can be banked, you have points from the UY after that can be borrowed, and you have points that are naturally usable for your trip.

It still feels weird to me that I can use 2021's points (borrowed) when I haven't even got 2020 points yet, but it is because my vacation itself is booked during the dec2020 UY.

You have them. They are available to use. We *have* all our points. They only appear as available to use once they can be available to use for trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter