Yeah We'll Be At The MK During Xmas Parade Taping, But...

jhaig

Not The First To Pass This Way
We have no interest in the parade. We will be there on a surprise trip for my daughter's 13th B-day. Her favorite park is the Magic Kingdom, so that's where we're going. Having never been there during parade taping, and using the valuable info gathered from my fellow Dis members, here is our plan:

- Get there early for breadfast ADR at Crystal Palace at 805am
- Hit rides all morning and avoid Main St
- Lunch ADR at Tony's Town Square
- More rides until mid-afternoon
- Leave MK around 4pm before the parade throngs hit the queues
- Dinner at Cali Grill 530pm, grab a cab to DD and see La Nouba at 9pm

Sounds like an awesome birthday right?:thumbsup2

But we all know how what happens to the best laid plans, so is there any way I can improve on this masterful plan?

We have no interest in the parade. We will be there on a surprise trip for my daughter's 13th B-day. Her favorite park is the Magic Kingdom, so that's where we're going. Having never been there during parade taping, and using the valuable info gathered from my fellow Dis members, here is our plan:

- Get there early for breadfast ADR at Crystal Palace at 805am
- Hit rides all morning and avoid Main St
- Lunch ADR at Tony's Town Square
- More rides until mid-afternoon
- Leave MK around 4pm before the parade throngs hit the queues
- Dinner at Cali Grill 530pm, grab a cab to DD and see La Nouba at 9pm

Sounds like an awesome birthday right?:thumbsup2

But we all know how what happens to the best laid plans, so is there any way I can improve on this masterful plan?

I'd dump Tony's (unless the ADR is for after 2:00PM.)

Dump Tony's because it's not that good or just a pain to actually get to?

Dump Tony's because it's not that good or just a pain to actually get to?

Both, IMHO.

But, as I said above about the timing, mostly because it could be a zoo to get to before 2PM, or so.

Could there be the same issue with Crystal Palace at 8am?

Could there be the same issue with Crystal Palace at 8am?

Not so much if you arrive plenty early.

You'll still have to get through the Main Street crowd, regardless, so since the CP is past the main mess, why not stop there?

Of course, another thought is to (upon first entering MK) immediately go up to the train station platform and take the WDW Railroad to Frontierland (or even Storybook Circus) and skip the Main Street zoo altogether that morning.

Dump all your pricey ADR's inside MK (or move them until later in the day after the parade zoo.)

Not so much if you arrive plenty early.

You'll still have to get through the Main Street crowd, regardless, so since the CP is past the main mess, why not stop there?

Of course, another thought is to (upon first entering MK) immediately go up to the train station platform and take the WDW Railroad to Frontierland (or even Storybook Circus) and skip the Main Street zoo altogether that morning.

Dump all your pricey ADR's inside MK (or move them until later in the day after the parade zoo.)

We plan on getting there by 7am (staying at Contemporary), but the train is a good idea.

We plan on getting there by 7am (staying at Contemporary), but the train is a good idea.

The parade crowd will already be inside MK by about 6:30-7AM (they have an early call for the show.)

So, expect congestion on Main Street from the time you are let into that area.

The parade crowd will already be inside MK by about 6:30-7AM (they have an early call for the show.)

So, expect congestion on Main Street from the time you are let into that area.

So outside of Main St. should the rest of the park be somewhat less crowded?

During an event like this, wouldn't they consider opening the "back lot" path in order to steer additional congestion from Main Street?

Have you already made your ADR's? I just looked at those dates and everything is already booked up due to Free Dining.

Did my ADR's at 180 days out:thumbsup2

Never been there on parade taping day though and didn't know how congested it would be if we weren't going to watch the parade.

During an event like this, wouldn't they consider opening the "back lot" path in order to steer additional congestion from Main Street?

Yup. But not necessarily, and not necessarily early in the morning.

So outside of Main St. should the rest of the park be somewhat less crowded?

Yes. Until they finish the taping early-midafternoon and release everyone into the rest of the park.

Sounds like a great surprise birthday! If you go to www.easywdw.com, there is a review from last years parade taping by the guy who does the site (josh is his name I think?). He's got lots of photos of the trip and detailed info of what happened. This could help you in getting an idea of what goes on and if you need to modify your plans slightly. It's a very good read in my opinion.
As you're staying in contemporary, I'd get to MK via the walkway. Also, what Robo says about either cancelling Tony's or trying to get a later ADR would be best, simply as main st. will most likely be very, very busy and getting through the crowds could be tough to get to your ADR on time, especially if say, you're on a ride and it breaks down or if you have a FP that is close to the ADR. Maybe try Liberty Tree?
Good luck with it and hope you have a great time!

Did my ADR's at 180 days out:thumbsup2

Never been there on parade taping day though and didn't know how congested it would be if we weren't going to watch the parade.

DH and I were there last year on parade taping day and the crowds didn't bother us. (And my DH cannot stand crowds. In fact, I asked him what he thought about the crowds when I read this thread and he said it wasn't bad at all.) We don't remember having a hard time getting down Main St. and once we were past that, the rest of the park was pretty empty. (Got there at park opening.) I have a "deserted" pic I took, but I don't know how to upload it on here. I'm not sure about later in the day, though. I can't remember how late we stayed. And on Christmas Day when the parade was televised it was cool to watch and know we were there that very day!

DH and I were there last year on parade taping day and the crowds didn't bother us. (And my DH cannot stand crowds. In fact, I asked him what he thought about the crowds when I read this thread and he said it wasn't bad at all.) We don't remember having a hard time getting down Main St. and once we were past that, the rest of the park was pretty empty. (Got there at park opening.) I have a "deserted" pic I took, but I don't know how to upload it on here. I'm not sure about later in the day, though. I can't remember how late we stayed. And on Christmas Day when the parade was televised it was cool to watch and know we were there that very day!

That's kinda what we're hoping for too. We may stay til about 3 or 4pm then get out quick. When you got there at park opening, was it the same as every other opening, with the show and everything? Or was it different since the parade was going on? Just wondering because we have an ADR at CP for 8am.

What a fun day! I would dump the Tony's reservation too. You have a sit down meal for breakfast and dinner. I would just do a QS for lunch to make the most of your time in the MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter