Yea! Free dining and got exactly what we wanted

global_mom

DIS Veteran
I just booked a "last minute" trip to WDW in Sept. during free dining. We are going in June and then again in Jan but I thought that we would need a quick 4 night trip in between.

I called today to book our dining. I was afraid that there would be nothing left and there were a few places that the children really wanted to do. Well, much to my surprise I got everything we wanted, for the days that we wanted, and at the time that we wanted. The only one that I had to be flexible with was Crystal Palace dinner but I still got the time that I wanted.

Now to be fair, I was not trying to book the biggies like Le Cellier and CRT but I had no problem getting: Crystal Palace dinner, Cinderell'a Gala Feast, Kona Cafe and Marrakesh (this one is always easy to get). These choices are not usually too hard to arrange but since it is Free Dining that could have made it tough.

We are soooo excited! :cool1:

I just booked mine a few nights ago, and I thought I was going to have issues too, but besides CRT, it was pretty easy. I just had to change the date of breakfast at Tuskerhouse...here's what we decided on (we're on the Deluxe Dining Plan):

09/06/2008
Dinner - Hollywood Brown Derby

09/07/2008
Lunch - Yak and Yeti
Dinner - Jiko

09/08/2008
Lunch - Crystal Palace
Dinner - Narcosees

09/09/2008
Breakfast - Cape May Cafe
Lunch - Marrakesh
Dinner - Yatchsman

09/10/2008
Lunch - Akershus
Dinner - Rose and Crown

09/11/2008
Lunch - OPEN
Dinner - Flying Fish

09/12/2008
Breakfast - Tuskerhouse
Dinner - California Grill

09/13/2008
Breakfast - Ohana
Lunch - GF Tea Room

I just booked mine a few nights ago, and I thought I was going to have issues too, but besides CRT, it was pretty easy. I just had to change the date of breakfast at Tuskerhouse...here's what we decided on (we're on the Deluxe Dining Plan):

09/06/2008

09/07/2008
Lunch - Yak and Yeti
Dinner - Jiko

09/08/2008
Lunch - Crystal Palace
Dinner - Narcosees

09/09/2008
Lunch - Marrakesh
Dinner - Yatchsman

09/10/2008
Lunch - Akershus
Dinner - Rose and Crown

09/11/2008
Lunch - OPEN
Dinner - Flying Fish

09/12/2008
Breakfast - Tuskerhouse

09/13/2008
Breakfast - Ohana
Lunch - GF Tea Room

:thumbsup2

Glad you got what you wanted!!!

Friends of mine just booked this week for free dining for late Sept and she was shocked making her ADRs this week that they got 85% of what they wanted right off the bat. She even got Le Cellier for dinner at prime time. She only had to compromise a bit on her times. She's still tweaking her ADRs but was thrilled she got most everything in one phone call.

Heck, I was surprised when I called yesterday for end of June that I had my choice of times for Crystal Palace and had a choice of times for Ohana dinner on the days I wanted it. And this was with a party of 3 which I know is sometimes hard. I was half tempted to press my luck and ask for a Chef Mickey or CRT breakfast...but didn't. I might call back today!

We are going the last 11 days of free dining I made the majority of our ADR's at 180 days, I did decide to change a few things around and got the places I wanted we just had to eat at 9:00pm which does work for us because the kids are older. We will rent a car so we can get back to our room before 11pm. I wanted to add Chef Mickeys for breakfast and had to chose between very early or late times. Unfortunately we are going early on a R&R day. I am always up at 5am. so it works for me. Husband and daughter wont' be thrilled.

09/06/2008

09/07/2008
Lunch - Yak and Yeti
Dinner - Jiko

09/08/2008
Lunch - Crystal Palace
Dinner - Narcosees

09/09/2008
Lunch - Marrakesh
Dinner - Yatchsman

09/10/2008
Lunch - Akershus
Dinner - Rose and Crown

09/11/2008
Lunch - OPEN
Dinner - Flying Fish

09/12/2008
Breakfast - Tuskerhouse

09/13/2008
Breakfast - Ohana
Lunch - GF Tea Room

Just had to comment that we will be there at the same time. I know it's weird but I always think it is neat when I see someone on the DIS going at the same time we are.

WOW maybe won't be to crowded in the restaurants for Sept. Maybe only the Disers know about free dining. We ,made ours at 180 days but made 1 change the other day had to cancel our first ADR cause change in plane schedule we will be getting in too late for our first day to make dinner so we changed to Toyoko Dining for lunch and had no problem.

:disrocks:

WOW maybe won't be to crowded in the restaurants for Sept. Maybe only the Disers know about free dining. We ,made ours at 180 days but made 1 change the other day had to cancel our first ADR cause change in plane schedule we will be getting in too late for our first day to make dinner so we changed to Toyoko Dining for lunch and had no problem.

:disrocks:

Wouldn't it be great to have lite crowds? :love:

Seeing as others have had great ADR success, I may get really bold and call back to add a couple of things. You never know when Chef Mickey's might be available!!

beroh2253 said:
I actually think there is some truth to the lower crowds/dining plan.

I think a lot of people were turned off by the changes to the plans (I'm in different).

Then we have the economy issue, so some people who might have been able to afford it on free dining last year, might not be able to this year or may need to downgrade rooms.

We also are seeing an uptick on foreign visitors, but I really don't think their as big of users of the dining plans (just a guess).

So I really think there are many driving factors, but it's just a guess until people start heading off on their vacations.

Just had to comment that we will be there at the same time. I know it's weird but I always think it is neat when I see someone on the DIS going at the same time we are.

We arrive around 11:30 AM on 09/06/2008 and leave around 5:00 PM on 09/13/2008. We're going to be at the Poly (in the process of changing rooms with our travel agent).

I called Saturday and got everything I wanted except for California Grill - I got it - just much earlier then I want. I'll keep calling and see if anything opens up! But considering I'm trying to be there to see Wishes on an MK EMH night - I figure I'll have to give that one up!!!

We went Labor Day weekend 2006 for free dining and had no problems at all. It was not crowded and we ate wherever we wanted! I think we made several ADR's once we got there.

I called Saturday and got everything I wanted except for California Grill - I got it - just much earlier then I want. I'll keep calling and see if anything opens up! But considering I'm trying to be there to see Wishes on an MK EMH night - I figure I'll have to give that one up!!!

We went Labor Day weekend 2006 for free dining and had no problems at all. It was not crowded and we ate wherever we wanted! I think we made several ADR's once we got there.

Our free dining trip is also to POR, I love your ticker!

Think that I will make a call right now to try to get Cali Grill, I did not have it in mind earlier today but now I want to add it!

I just called to try to get Cali Grill timed to watch Wishes and then dine. Got the exact time that I wanted on the exact night that I wanted! :cool1:

I never would have thought that I could book much of anything during Free dining and certainly not what I really wanted. Now I am so excited about this trip!!

Woo hoo! I think sometimes we think EVERYONE must be making all these ADR's - but most of the world doesn't come to the DIS!!

I love POR - I think it and CSR have the most beautiful grounds at WDW!

Woo hoo! I think sometimes we think EVERYONE must be making all these ADR's - but most of the world doesn't come to the DIS!!

I love POR - I think it and CSR have the most beautiful grounds at WDW!

OK now you got me thinking...........I did not correlate any meals with parades or fireworks shows etc. I guess I need to look at the calendar/schedule again to see, what will work but where do you eat to get good views etc? I never have done this part of the planning.

We are staying @ POR 9/4-9/9, have not actually started a countdown yet though, I guess with work, housework, volunteering with DD's school etc.....I really better start movin' huh???? Can anyone give me a few suggestions? I may just move my ressies around.

California Grill is the only one I'm trying to "coordinate" with fireworks. I'm sure there are other monorail restaurants that people do that with - but I"m only going to try for that night and if I don't get it - that's okay!:hippie:

California Grill is the only one I'm trying to "coordinate" with fireworks. I'm sure there are other monorail restaurants that people do that with - but I"m only going to try for that night and if I don't get it - that's okay!:hippie:

The one we try for a specific time is Rose and Crown for about 7:30. Then see if we can get a table on the outside lower patio to watch Illusions. Last year this worked out perfect (best spot we have seem to watch Illusions). Got 7:30 again this year, I hope we get the outside patio, if not they take you to an outside location to see Illusions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter