Yay or Nay to Dining Plan?! Feeling overwhelmed...

susanab

Earning My Ears
I'm currently planning my daughter's first trip to DW in 2011 (I haven't been in 20 years) and I'm trying to decide if the dining plan would be worth it. My boyfriend will also be joining us on the trip. We will be there for 5 days (4 full days at the park) and 5 nights.

Looking into doing three, maybe four character meals (2 breakfasts and 2 dinners) and from what I've been told it would be better to pay out of pocket for them instead of using the plan. I do know that CRL is 2 tickets from each. And please tell me if I'm crazy to be planning three/four meals. :rolleyes:

We are getting a family suite at ASM so we'll have the kitchenette - I've thought about getting groceries and doing a couple meals there and also get some snacks to take with us. :confused3

Sorry to ramble, I just don't know which decision is best so I guess I need to hear from those who were in this boat! Thanks a bunch!

I have not used the dining plan.

My answer depends on your DD's age. Will you be returning to the resort for a nap?

I would get breakfast foods for eating in the room for sure. This helps everyone get out the door happy and faster.

I plan one ADR per day, either lunch or dinner,so we are assured a meal without much wait time.

As far as, buying other food for the room, only do it if you are going to spend a lot of time at the resort, like for naps or pool time.

Since you haven't been to WDW in 20 years, I'm thinking you will spend a lot of time in the parks, so you will not be taking the time to return to your resort at mid-day, unless DD requires a break. My point is don't over buy food.

I like the dining plan, personally. I've gone with it and without it over the years, but for me, the regular dining plan doesn't really change the way I would already eat when in the parks and I really enjoy having my food paid for up front and not having to worry about it once I'm there. The big complaint with the dining plan is that people feel like they're tied to their ADR's, but in my case, I always like to do one sit down meal a day which is what you get with the dining plan. I think most people, especially kids, need that one sit down meal a day to take a break. Just my opinion.

I liked having the dining plan, it was nice knowing the meals were already paid for. We had the regualr dining plan, and it worked out for my crew of me, my wife, and 2 kids (6 and 2).

I'm currently planning my daughter's first trip to DW in 2011 (I haven't been in 20 years) and I'm trying to decide if the dining plan would be worth it. My boyfriend will also be joining us on the trip. We will be there for 5 days (4 full days at the park) and 5 nights.

Looking into doing three, maybe four character meals (2 breakfasts and 2 dinners) and from what I've been told it would be better to pay out of pocket for them instead of using the plan. I do know that CRL is 2 tickets from each. And please tell me if I'm crazy to be planning three/four meals. :rolleyes:

We are getting a family suite at ASM so we'll have the kitchenette - I've thought about getting groceries and doing a couple meals there and also get some snacks to take with us. :confused3

Sorry to ramble, I just don't know which decision is best so I guess I need to hear from those who were in this boat! Thanks a bunch!
If you are planning on doing that many character/table service meals then yes, the Basic Dining Plan will save you money vs. out-of-pocket.

Depending on where you are going to eat the DDP can save you some money. For us (Me, DH, DS9, & DS5) there are trips when the DDP saves us money and there are other trips when we would have lost money on the DDP.

I am a spreadsheet geek and have one set up for planning ADRs and figuring OOP vs. DDP. We set up our ADRs and then go to AllEarsNet to look at the restaurant menu to guesstimate what we'd order and how much the meal will be if paying OOP - sometimes that means adding an appetizer to our estimate or eating at a non-DDP restaurant. I figure in any discounts, DVC or AP, add in the tax & tip and, viola, I have a pretty good guesstimate. Do that for each of our days, add in an average for CS meals and snacks and we then can see approximately how much we will spend in dining each day. Then I run a DDP cost (with the tips from the OOP estimate) to see which would benefit us the most. On our last two trips we didn't use the DDP but for our Nov. trip we probably will since we are doing a few buffets and character meals. This might seem like an anal way of doing it (and it is) but I like seeing which is the better way to go money-wise. When the DDP included the gratuity I didn't use a spreadsheet since I wasn't having to add the gratuity total onto the daily cost of the DDP.

you can't be there 5 days and 5 nights. Its either 6 days and 5 nights or 5 days and 4 nights. It's the # of nights you are booked that determines how many credits per person you get, not the # of days in the parks.

I agree that, if you're doing that many character meals, you may as well get the reg DDP. It will save you some $.

I have not used the dining plan.

My answer depends on your DD's age. Will you be returning to the resort for a nap?

I would get breakfast foods for eating in the room for sure. This helps everyone get out the door happy and faster.

I plan one ADR per day, either lunch or dinner,so we are assured a meal without much wait time.

As far as, buying other food for the room, only do it if you are going to spend a lot of time at the resort, like for naps or pool time.

Since you haven't been to WDW in 20 years, I'm thinking you will spend a lot of time in the parks, so you will not be taking the time to return to your resort at mid-day, unless DD requires a break. My point is don't over buy food.

My daughter will be 6 when we go. I do plan on returning to the room mid-day so we can either take a break or go swimming.

I am a spreadsheet geek and have one set up for planning ADRs and figuring OOP vs. DDP. We set up our ADRs and then go to AllEarsNet to look at the restaurant menu to guesstimate what we'd order and how much the meal will be if paying OOP - sometimes that means adding an appetizer to our estimate or eating at a non-DDP restaurant. I figure in any discounts, DVC or AP, add in the tax & tip and, viola, I have a pretty good guesstimate. Do that for each of our days, add in an average for CS meals and snacks and we then can see approximately how much we will spend in dining each day. Then I run a DDP cost (with the tips from the OOP estimate) to see which would benefit us the most. On our last two trips we didn't use the DDP but for our Nov. trip we probably will since we are doing a few buffets and character meals. This might seem like an anal way of doing it (and it is) but I like seeing which is the better way to go money-wise. When the DDP included the gratuity I didn't use a spreadsheet since I wasn't having to add the gratuity total onto the daily cost of the DDP.

I'm also doing something similar to that to see what is more cost effective and to get our itinerary in place.

You should check and see if the New Free Dining offer for 2011 is during the time you are going. Then you would get if for free. We have done FD 3 times and I love it. It's well worth it. All you have to pay for is tip which if you paid OOP you would still have to pay. I love being able to eat what you want and not having to worry about how much it cost.

I too love the dining plan... for these reasons:

1. It is already paid for before I go! No stressing about how much to budget for meals, no worrying about going over our amount or having to keep track of what we have spent / what we have left, etc.

2. I LOVE not having to look at prices on the menu... to be able to just order what I want, rather than think about the price. I'm one of those "thrifty" people that looks at a menu, thinks "hmm... the ribeye sure looks good! But GAH!! $28? Hmm... maybe I'll just order the pasta for $14..." With dining plan, I get the food I WANT and love it! I don't want to feel guilty during my vacation, and I want to enjoy it by getting what I really want. It feels like such an indulgence to me. :rotfl: So, I love the dining plan... LOL

3. Because I'm "thrifty" I don't think we'd do many snacks in the parks. With the dining plan, I get to treat myself and our family to fun things I wouldn't normally get, like dole whips, etc. :thumbsup2

In the end, does it save us money? Well, I don't know... I'd likely order cheaper food OOP than I would on the dining plan, and I likely wouldn't order so many snacks. We certainly wouldn't do as many table service places. But I think our vacations are much more enjoyable WITH the dining plan. The first time we went to DW last year, we paid for the dining plan and loved it. This year we are going during free dining and looking forward to it!

I am a fan of the dining plan! We always get the deluxe dining plan actually! I think it would be worth it if you plan on doing Cinderellas Royal Table (one of my favorite meals, and our first meal of each trips :cutie:)

It seems overwhelming at first, but it really is quite simple to use! Just keep coming back here and we can help you plan out super awesomeness! For me character meals are half the fun! Eating in Disney in general is half the fun!

Definitely check to see if the dining plan is free when you are going. I'm not sure I'd pay for it, but I definitely :love: it when it's free! ;)

We love the dining plan and always upgrade to the deluxe plan. Then we do 2 character meals a day and save some TS credits for 2 credit meals, like CRT and MBYBB. We find it saves time meeting characters that way, and our meals are already paid for (except tips). From our perspective, 3 or 4 meals is not at all crazy and hopefully would give your daughter some wonderful experiences. If you do go with the dp, don't forget to make ADRs at 180 days out. ;)

We're fans of DDP also! I don't know that there is much savings in it anymore (unless you go during free dining) but it is nice to have it all prepaid. I like only needing to bring souvenir & tip money with us. You definitely "splurge" more on the kiddos with DDP because you let them have a treat everyday plus desserts since they're included in your plan. My kids think that's awesome as we seldom do that in the real world. We always pack breakfast foods for the room but I refuse to cook when I'm on vacation. Pop tarts, granola bars, donut sticks, honey buns, etc. Yep, pure junk food - good thing vacation only comes around once a year! :)

I too love the dining plan... for these reasons:

1. It is already paid for before I go! No stressing about how much to budget for meals, no worrying about going over our amount or having to keep track of what we have spent / what we have left, etc.

2. I LOVE not having to look at prices on the menu... to be able to just order what I want, rather than think about the price. I'm one of those "thrifty" people that looks at a menu, thinks "hmm... the ribeye sure looks good! But GAH!! $28? Hmm... maybe I'll just order the pasta for $14..." With dining plan, I get the food I WANT and love it! I don't want to feel guilty during my vacation, and I want to enjoy it by getting what I really want. It feels like such an indulgence to me. :rotfl: So, I love the dining plan... LOL

3. Because I'm "thrifty" I don't think we'd do many snacks in the parks. With the dining plan, I get to treat myself and our family to fun things I wouldn't normally get, like dole whips, etc. :thumbsup2

In the end, does it save us money? Well, I don't know... I'd likely order cheaper food OOP than I would on the dining plan, and I likely wouldn't order so many snacks. We certainly wouldn't do as many table service places. But I think our vacations are much more enjoyable WITH the dining plan. The first time we went to DW last year, we paid for the dining plan and loved it. This year we are going during free dining and looking forward to it!

Here, here! I second all of these opinions, as they pretty much match my own. DP is so worth it in terms of budgeting, stress, and convienence. I especially agree with point #2.

A lot of people think vaule has to mean $$$. It doesn't. Value to me represents less worrying about the cost of what we're spending on vacation.

I think the 'free' DP for ASM, even suites, is the QSDP, so if you go @ a free dinning time you might want to upgrade to the regular dp. I like the DP because it's already paid for and I don't care if someone orders the most expensive thing on the menu - so I must be one of those frugal sorts who gets to let loose on ordering when on the DP. Even with breaking midday you can use your CS @ ASM to grab lunch.

I am finding I like having the dining plan. But it depends on how much your budget is. When I am low on funds, I won't add the dining plan and get the best room rate I can find (usually they will be a decent room discount or I use my AAA). I bring breakfast with me and have a strict food budget which will not include any table service meals.

However, like the majority are saying, if you are planning that many character meals, I would add the plan. I like that it's all paid for up front (except for tips). Enjoy your holiday !!

It's really impossible for anyone to tell you whether it'd be worth it for your family. We're doing the DxDDP this year because we felt like - with as many TS restaurants as we did last year - it would just work out better and be more cost-effective in the long run to do the DDP. But, that's just us.

To be honest, I thought I'd do more cooking at WDW last time we were there, and so I bought A TON of groceries to use in the villas...and then brought a bunch of them back. I was just too tired at the end of the day to even think about it. I did do some breakfast cooking, but - in retrospect - it would've been more fun to go somewhere for those meals.

So, it's really a personal preference. Maybe you could go through the menus and figure out what you might spend on food while you're there, and then compare it to what it would cost you to but the DP. I did that, and it was about a $700+ savings.

Enjoy your planning, and have fun at WDW!

Each family is different, so I can only tell you what works for us.

I have enjoyed the DDP and will continue to do so until is no longer is cost effective.

First we do cereal/bagels etc in the room for breakfast before hitting the parks.

Then usually do counter service for lunch in the heat of the day.

Last we do our Table Credit and make ADR's as late as we dare to eat, then I am usually tired and head back to the resort for R&R, will let teens go ahead and do more park. (some of our meals are 2 TS credits and we plan accordling to make up for that.

If I were paying Out of Pocket for all meals, we would be doing counter service and I would be worrying did I bring enough money and not really enjoying myself. But by buying the DDP, all major meals are prepaid and I can relax and enjoy, with the added benefit of not all our meals require standing in line at a counter, but being able to relax and be served.

So in short it really depends on your outlook on the $$$$ and how much planning you want to do, you really need to make ADR's in advance, so you need to plan what park or resort you will be in or near at the time to report for your ADR time.

I am a planner and worrier, so ADR's fit me perfectly.

In short, we like it. We do not use snack credits much until the end of our stay, then get non perishable snacks and take them home for gift giving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter