Xmas trip, has anyone gone over xmas? Good bad ugly

tinkerpea

DIS Veteran
Hi
So I've always wanted to go over Xmas we've done many many trips in October September may etc and one where we seen the Dec's go up in November,
But I haven't done a actual xmas trip that I can remember ( a few as a child)
I know it's crazy. But so crazy that it's not enjoyable at all?

We was thinking of a split stay onsite and emerald island as I just got a great price for 21 nights at emerald £1050 for 21 nights, 3 bedroom no private pool,

So I may make that 2wks and do a wk on site with free dining ( us deal) at the start, mind you with the dollar rate maybe paying more to be onsite with free dining ( if US deal is out) I know that you get free dining up until the 20th but that sometimes as long as your onsite before it ends they cover it all,or if they don't maybe paying for ddp might even be best to know our food is covered at least.

I'm excited and dreading it.
I can't take the kids out of school this year, apart from the few days were thinking in December,and they all hated the rain over summer months.
Husband is deployed xmas 2018 so thought this might be special.

So the truth From those who have done it. Will it all be horrible and too busy to be enjoyed at all?
Our dates will be 13th December to Jan 3/4 so hopefully first wk won't be too bad,
What did you do on xmas day?
What is the weather like is it warm?
Any help tips much appreciated

The closer to xmas you get the busier it gets, with xmas week being hella busy (hey, look at me being all funky and using hip new slang! ;) ).

So, expect heavy crowds, long waits, cranky people, etc. Not the best time to go.

But after saying that, if it's busy Disney or no Disney I'd take busy Disney any day of the week!

Make sure you make good use of Fastpasses, get a good touring plan (funnily enough, I recommend touringplans.com :) ), and get up for rope drop\morning emh to make use if the 'quiet hour' you tend to get first thing as people have a lie in and it's manageable.

EDIT:

Another tip is to eat your meals outside normal peak hours (so, 12 - 1 for lunch, etc) again, it helps with avoiding the worst of the crowds.

As to weather, December - Jan are very 'variable' for want of a better phrase. We've been and it's been beautifully warm one day, then the next the good ol' polar vortex hits and it's -3 outside and you have to defrost the car. So pack layers.

Last edited:
We're going for 3 weeks this year, 10th Dec to 1st Jan, we're staying onsite with DDP which we paid for. We were also thinking of holding out for the free US DDP deal but with the exchange rate it just didn't make any sense, especially as its not guaranteed.

We have been over xmas/New Year about 7 years ago and remember it as been crazy busy but the boys were younger so things we more difficult. I obviously plan on making an ADR for EVERY evening meal with the priority be xmas day. We have absolutely no intention of going into a park xmas day, hopefully we'll have a character breakfast at Cape May, then play some crazy golf and end up with dinner at Cali Grill so we can watch Wishes.

For NYE I hope that the Mexican restaurant in EPCOT will do their special NYE event which I know is expensive but i think will be so worth it. By the time we get to NYE there will be 18 of us ranging in age from 2 to 82 so somewhere out of the extreme crush where we can sit and have dinner but those that want to can wander out to the fun stuff going on around world showcase.

As for weather all I can say is pack a bit of everything and wear layers. When we were there last time we had to de ice the car before we used it. Usually it is a bit chilly first thing in the morning and once the sun goes down but it can be shorts and tshirt weather during the day.

Hope that helps ...... I'm sure other will be along with much more handy stuff.

We have been twice at Christmas. The fist time in 2012 we stayed for 2 weeks at OKW ( rented DVC points). Our dates were 13th - 27th Dec. Our first few days the parks were fairly quiet, and the weather was warm. Then a cold front arrived and we needed long trousers / fleeces. By Christmas day it had started warming up again. We spent Christmas day at MK. We got there early - we were on Main street by 7.30am! It started getting really, really busy by around 10am. Yes, it was wall to wall people, but we went to that day just happy to soak up the atmosphere and do a few rides. We had lunch at CP, and then went back to OKW for a swim in the afternoon.
We then went again in 2015. We flew out on 16th December, and stayed at OKW for 8 nights. The weather was gorgeous. Really warm, and only rained one morning . The crowds were manageable, and of course by now we could use FP+. On 24th December we boarded the Disney Dream for 4 nights, and the weather was beautiful (and it still was in Orlando too). We arrived back in Orlando on 28th, and stayed at AoA for 2 nights before flying home. The roads were really busy, and the Disney bus had to go a different route to MK from AoA than normal. The parks were really busy too. The weather was still glorious!
I think if you go with the mindset that you will not be able to do everything then its ok. It takes an age to get anywhere on the roads, and also to walk anywhere in the parks due to the sheer volume of people. I would advise making ADR's if you are planning to eat in the parks over the main holiday days, as even the lines for the CS places are huge!
There is nothing like rocking upto MK on Christmas day in your shorts and being wished a Merry Christmas!!

We are going for Christmas again in 2018. We may do cruise again. If we are at WDW actually over Christmas then we are definitely going to be in MK on Christmas day again!

HTH

Claire :)

Thanks this definitely helps,
I would absolutely stay onsite for the whole trip is I could. ( we always do normally) however with my mum coming and we end up paying for everything two rooms is just soo expensive.

I'm actually worried that with it being a all offsite trip or at least half of it. We will spend so much time stuck in traffic, I'm guessing the rds are bad all the time?

I just know that every yr at home I say I wish I was in Disney! And feel that for once I could actually do it. Lol

Due to some issues we had last trip, we actually will have 6fp each a day for our trip so I'm hoping these will help,
However if we are offsite I won't be able to book them until 30 days and I'm really worried I won't be able to get anything decent.
Aa they will have all been taken by onsite guests

Our first trip to any Disney park was a Christmas trip and we enjoyed it so much we did it again the following year - however that was over 20 yrs ago.
No fast passes and not as much urgency to make ADRs - in fact we managed to eat in the Mexican restaurant in Epcot as a walkup on Christmas Day.

The first year we spent Christmas Day at Typhoon Lagoon which was nice and relaxing and the nearest we'll get to having christmas on the beach.
The 2nd year we had planned to do the same but the weather was cloudier so we opted to go to Epcot for the day instead.

We went virtually the same dates as you're planning in 2009. Our first few days were really quiet, we then went on the Wonder for 3 nights and when we got back on the 23rd it had got busy. We spent Christmas Day in MK, starting with breakfast at Crystal Palace and ending with a late lunch at Tony's. I know everywhere says avoid MK on Christmas Day but we wanted to be there and it was very manageable, I think the torrential rain that day helped keep the crowds away! We spent New Year's Eve at Epcot, it was absolutely packed but the atmosphere was so worth it. We stayed offsite but treated ourselves to a two night stay at the Yacht Club over New Year so we could walk to/from Epcot easily. On the whole we found the weather warm but it got very cold at the end. I remember us wearing shorts and Tshirts on NYE, the next night we were in our winter coats, scarves, gloves etc for the dessert party at MK and only took our gloves off to eat our desserts!

We were just there over Christmas, I think I replied to your flight price question. We have been about 5 or 6 times over Christmas and as our daughter has got older we have done different things.

This year on Christmas Day we played mini golf on the Fantasia course, then walked for some lunch and has an ice cream from the Boardwalk. I booked a "holiday meal" at WCC, which we all enjoyed. Christmas Eve, we went to Sea World for the day and watched all the Christmas shows at night, it wasn't that busy until later. We also enjoyed HDDR on Boxing Day.

We also like to go to MK on Christmas Eve and stay until it closes, but we could only do this once DD was older, and the crowds only lessen after the fireworks.

As others have posted, the first week will be the best week to get things done, and then just go for a more relaxed pace once it gets busy. We did breakfast in AK at Tusker house one year, and remember when we left the park in the afternoon there was a 4 hour wait for the safari, so it can get crazy! From Emerald Island you will be able to go on Sherbeth Way to get into Disney, we have never found it to be that bad. But the I4 this year was like a car park getting to SW and Aquatica.

Again, as has been mentioned the weather can vary a lot. This year was really warm, but dropped 20 degrees overnight 1 day, then warmed back up. We have been and needed trousers, coats and hats some days, so you need to pack some warmer clothes too.

We were just there over Christmas, I think I replied to your flight price question. We have been about 5 or 6 times over Christmas and as our daughter has got older we have done different things.

This year on Christmas Day we played mini golf on the Fantasia course, then walked for some lunch and has an ice cream from the Boardwalk. I booked a "holiday meal" at WCC, which we all enjoyed. Christmas Eve, we went to Sea World for the day and watched all the Christmas shows at night, it wasn't that busy until later. We also enjoyed HDDR on Boxing Day.

We also like to go to MK on Christmas Eve and stay until it closes, but we could only do this once DD was older, and the crowds only lessen after the fireworks.

As others have posted, the first week will be the best week to get things done, and then just go for a more relaxed pace once it gets busy. We did breakfast in AK at Tusker house one year, and remember when we left the park in the afternoon there was a 4 hour wait for the safari, so it can get crazy! From Emerald Island you will be able to go on Sherbeth Way to get into Disney, we have never found it to be that bad. But the I4 this year was like a car park getting to SW and Aquatica.

Again, as has been mentioned the weather can vary a lot. This year was really warm, but dropped 20 degrees overnight 1 day, then warmed back up. We have been and needed trousers, coats and hats some days, so you need to pack some warmer clothes too.

Hi no it wasn't my question but I did read that thread,
Did you stay off site or on? I'm trying to work out if it's a bad idea to do off site when it's such a busy time,
Or make it a cheaper trip and go with low expectations.

We stayed at WL for 1 night when we first arrived, went to the gulf coast for a week and then returned to Orlando for 10 nights. We stayed at Windsor Hills which isn't far from Emerald Island. The last few times we have been offsite and I have never seen it as a problem. It is nice to get back to somewhere quiet where you can spread out and have a bit of space. If you do a split stay then you will have the best of both worlds.

We've been over Christmas for the last seven years and it's our favourite time of the year to visit. We first went in 2009 and it was freezing apart from two warmish days. Since then the weather has been pretty good. This year was really warm, to the extent that we were in the pool for most afternoons. We always stay on site, usually at the BWI for the first half so walking into Epcot is easy. We then stay at a MK resort and always do MK on Christmas morning. It's simply a case of do our fast passes, watch the parade and leave! With careful planning it's a fabulous time to visit.

We stayed at WL for 1 night when we first arrived, went to the gulf coast for a week and then returned to Orlando for 10 nights. We stayed at Windsor Hills which isn't far from Emerald Island. The last few times we have been offsite and I have never seen it as a problem. It is nice to get back to somewhere quiet where you can spread out and have a bit of space. If you do a split stay then you will have the best of both worlds.

Thank you that's great, did you struggle getting the fast passes you wanted at 30 days out? I don't want to be left with nothing we want, if you see what I mean

We've been over Christmas for the last seven years and it's our favourite time of the year to visit. We first went in 2009 and it was freezing apart from two warmish days. Since then the weather has been pretty good. This year was really warm, to the extent that we were in the pool for most afternoons. We always stay on site, usually at the BWI for the first half so walking into Epcot is easy. We then stay at a MK resort and always do MK on Christmas morning. It's simply a case of do our fast passes, watch the parade and leave! With careful planning it's a fabulous time to visit.

It's so good to hear positive views of xmas, everyone you speak to usually says they would never go. It's awful, only idiots to xmas etc etc lol.
Which makes it hard to get excited, at most we would split stay, and be onsite for Xmas day.
We always stay onsite for the last 12yrs at deluxe resorts so it will be very different, but it's so expensive over xmas as a family of 6.
When we have a 3bed condo for just over £1000 for 3wks.
Now if it was free dining it would be a no brainer and I would be onsite lol.

We did December 12-26th onsite in 2015. The first 4/5 days were relatively quiet, the next 4/5 were busy and the last 4/5 were REALLY busy. We made sure we covered a lot in the first few days and then (generally) just soaked up the atmosphere and utilised our fastpasses for the last few.

I packed for all weather but generally it was lovely - hot during the day and then maybe jeans/cardigan in the evening. We had just the one properly cold day when my husband really regretted not wearing his coat (the only day he might have needed it).

Christmas Day was magical - we were the first people to enter Epcot through the International Gateway (much to the cast members' excitement) and had a special ride on Soarin' when just the front row was used and the safety instructions were sung to the tune of Good King Wenceslas. We rode Test Track (and I think something else), met the Epcot VP, had some photos taken and then went to Trattatoria (sp?) Al Forno for breakfast. After breakfast we moved on to Hollywood Studios and used our FP+s for Toy Story, Tower of Terror and The Comedy Warehouse Christmas Special. We had a swim and a relax by the hotel pool and then dinner at Flying Fish.

It was weird being away for Christmas but I'd visit Disney in December again in a heartbeat.

Been out there for 5 Xmas'
Never before Xmas day as I am in retail so have to open the business till late Xmas eve. Always flown Xmas day or Boxing day.
The bad, 1st Xmas we arrived to find they had run out of cars at the airport, not just Alamo but every single rental company. We had to taxi and go back a couple of days later to get one, imagine how many cars are on the roads, a 10 min journey takes 30-40 mins etc, crazy busy.
Getting into the parks some days is impossible, they close in stages, offsite first. Even if you do get into the parks the lines for popular rides can be 3 or 4 hours long. Quick service food can have 45-60 min lines.
You get the picture. On the other hand its the most magical time to go. Don't go to do rides between Xmas and New year, visit all the amazing resorts, fantastic trees, gingerbread house etc. Relax and chill and watch everyone else get stressed.
I say after every Xmas visit, never again but it really is a great time to go, I am sure one day we will go back for a 6th Xmas trip.

If you stay on site,even for part of your stay, you will be able to book at 60 days out.

I thought they stopped this? So you could only book at 60 days out for the nights you was onsite? And then the nights you was off it went bk to 30.

Sorry if that was wrong, but we did a split stay in August 2015 and we managed to do it. This Christmas we had tickets for SW/BG/Aquatica and only visited Disney resorts, Boardwalk, golf etc

Do you want to go for Christmas day (maybe because of school holidays) or because you want the Christmas decorations and atmosphear?
Because if you're flexible with your travel dates you could go the first two weeks of December to get low(-ish) crowds, cheaper hotels, all the decorations and show up everywhere, parks and resorts. It used to be "best kept Disney secret", but now it's not a dead period anymore, but nothing compared to Christmas week. When I'm at home during the week between Christmas and NYE I always think what would be being at WDW. Then I open the app, check the wait times and say "Never!". :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter