XMAS or NEW YEAR

CHEK

DIS Veteran
Definately going to be in WDW on the 1/1/09 for my DH's 40th, BUT do we travel just before Xmas or do we leave after Xmas and stay for the 1st week of the New Year:confused: , I've read that after New Year the park's are generally quieter, can anyone please advise me? thanks:goodvibes

I have been there from New Years through the 2nd week of Jan. It is Great being there for New Years but the Parks are PACKED. It will quite down after the Marathon which is anywhere around the 4th - 8th. I think the parks are manageable from the 4th on. The 2nd week was great.

I've done Disneyland on New Years, and it so so packed that you had to sit 3 hours early to see the countdown.

As for XMAS, WDW was good last year up to the 26th. from 26-30 it was a mad house. That is why we switched this year to the week before.

The holidays are PACKED at WDW! I would pick neither! Sorry, my opinion. Seriously, it's scary packed!

Good luck!

I value your thought's, BUT I have a DH who's obsessed with Disney and your only 40 once :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: .

If your schedule alouds it, get to Disney on Dec. 30th and stay that week. This way you can enjoy New Years and still get sometime without all the heavy crowd. You will not regret being there no matter how crowded New Years is. It was the best time we ever had and we will do it again and again and again. The crowds will lighten up as the week goes on. I hope this helps you. We are considering that year too for New Years. We have gone 3 times and Love it.

We have always gone the first to second week in January and we love it. I was there this past January to celebrate my 50th B.D. with friends. We have had consistently great weather during that timeframe for each of our trips. We normally fly a redeye from CA. and arrive about midmorning on NYE. We don't even bother going to the parks that day due to the crowds. It's our time to gradually acclimate to the WDW atmosphere. We check in to our resort then we go resort hopping to check out all the holiday decorations at each. This past year, I booked a lunch reservation at the GF and a dinner reservation at Ohana at the Poly. Then we watched the fireworks at midnite from the lawn area in front of the CR. It was a great start to our vacation. On one of our previous trips, we booked our first night in one of the highrise hotels near Downtown Disney. My sister asked for 8th floor or higher with views towards the parks. At midnite, we were able to go out on our balcony and watch the fireworks going off at DD, MGM, Epcot, and MK all at the same time. To say the least, it was quite breathtaking. The hotel was nothing like staying on property, but that view was worth it. We transferred the next day to BWV for the remainder of our trip. Great memories!

Definately going to be in WDW on the 1/1/09 for my DH's 40th, BUT do we travel just before Xmas or do we leave after Xmas and stay for the 1st week of the New Year:confused: , I've read that after New Year the park's are generally quieter, can anyone please advise me? thanks:goodvibes

Hi CHEK. It seems that were going on holiday at the same time again. We are going next year for Xmas and New Year. We were planning to go out on the 22nd Dec but we got a price for Xmas Day and it was £1200 cheaper for us to go which means we don't travel back untill the 8th Jan 09. My kids are really excited about flying Xmas Day and it is also my DH birthday that day. Were really looking forward to it. Let us know what you decide to do.

Hi CHEK. It seems that were going on holiday at the same time again. We are going next year for Xmas and New Year. We were planning to go out on the 22nd Dec but we got a price for Xmas Day and it was £1200 cheaper for us to go which means we don't travel back untill the 8th Jan 09. My kids are really excited about flying Xmas Day and it is also my DH birthday that day. Were really looking forward to it. Let us know what you decide to do.

Hey Great minds and all that!!, so from what your telling me you've already booked then?, who are you flying with?. We we're originally planning on just the 4 of us, BUT the extended family have somewhat cottoned on:rolleyes1 so think there maybe a few more of us ;)

Hey Great minds and all that!!, so from what your telling me you've already booked then?, who are you flying with?. We we're originally planning on just the 4 of us, BUT the extended family have somewhat cottoned on:rolleyes1 so think there maybe a few more of us ;)

Yeah we have already booked, we actually booked it before we went this year :rotfl: We have booked it with Virgin, we originally booked to stay at the Fairfield Inn on I.Drive but after staying at POR this year decided to change it once we got back

Yeah we have already booked, we actually booked it before we went this year :rotfl: We have booked it with Virgin, we originally booked to stay at the Fairfield Inn on I.Drive but after staying at POR this year decided to change it once we got back

Think it's more likely to be a villa for us cos at the mo there is already 8 of us planning to go, so therefore we need to price a fly drive, or we'll have to wait what will seem like an eternity to book a flight :surfweb:

Well what ever you decide to do, good luck and let us know, we might even bump into each other this time :rotfl: Are you going at any other time next year

Well what ever you decide to do, good luck and let us know, we might even bump into each other this time :rotfl: Are you going at any other time next year

Hopefully early Feb, nothing booked as yet, BUT it won't be long before we do;)

Hopefully early Feb, nothing booked as yet, BUT it won't be long before we do;)

How spooky is this, were going in Feb as well. We are going the 15th for 10 days, we've booked a villa as we are taking my MIL and FIL with us. Your right great minds do think alike :rotfl2:

i think it depends on which wdw park you are talking about. MK of course is crazy, but later at night (excluding nye) its manageable. we'd do epcot in the day and we could get on rides w/ minimal wait time and then go to the mk at night.

keep in mink that if you want to see mk fireworks on nye, get there super early. they eventually redirect park overflow to the other parks. not sure in which order though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter