Wyndham Bonnet Creek: take bus to parks, or use rental car?

nilseks

DIS Veteran
Heading to the World 2 weeks from tomorrow, yay! This is our first time off-site and we are staying at WBC. We'll have a rental car.

I've combed the "We love Bonnet Creek" threads but they are so long--I apologize...

For those who have stayed there, were you happy with the bus service to the parks? Did you feel it was quick and reliable, or at least comparable to the Disney buses?

Part of me feels it would be easiest to just drive our rental car back and forth to the parks, but A) I really don't want to pay $14/day if I don't have to, and B) having always used only the Disney buses, I'm worried about finding my way around. I have a GPS on my phone but I have AT&T wireless and service is always VERY unreliable for me in Lake Buena Vista. Last time my phone said "No Service" more often than not!

Would love some input.

I have stayed at Bonnet Creek but didn't use the busses. If it were me I would drive. I've read positive posts about the busses but I don't think they run as often as WDW busses.

Do you have a stroller? We considered that resort but were told we couldn't bring a stroller on their buses. May not be a factor for you, but thought I'd mention it just in case!

Heading to the World 2 weeks from tomorrow, yay! This is our first time off-site and we are staying at WBC. We'll have a rental car.

I've combed the "We love Bonnet Creek" threads but they are so long--I apologize...

For those who have stayed there, were you happy with the bus service to the parks? Did you feel it was quick and reliable, or at least comparable to the Disney buses?

Part of me feels it would be easiest to just drive our rental car back and forth to the parks, but A) I really don't want to pay $14/day if I don't have to, and B) having always used only the Disney buses, I'm worried about finding my way around. I have a GPS on my phone but I have AT&T wireless and service is always VERY unreliable for me in Lake Buena Vista. Last time my phone said "No Service" more often than not!

Would love some input.

I can't help you with how good the bus service is, we had planned on using it for some of our days and driving on others, and just ended up driving every day.

I can tell you that driving around property is very easy. There are huge signs up everywhere, and since WBC is on property you will always have those signs telling you where to go. Didn't care for the $14 but driving was super easy and we just loved the convenience of getting into our car when we wanted and not waiting for a bus.

We just spent two weeks there and my suggestion is to drive. It's very easy to get anywhere. Signs are easy to follows. For the parks turn right and DTD turn left. My mom took the shuttle twice when we had other things to do and once they had to wait a long time because the first shuttle didn't arrive. The second time she couldn't believe how long the trip was because you stop at multiple places first. Plus, the schedule is not frequent for pick up or drop offs, especially in the afternoon.

We were there last month as well and I did use the bus service one day. Dh and DD had gone to DHS early that morning for a YES class. DD5 and I wanted to meet up with them so our only other option was to take the BC shuttle. We got to the bus stop (behind tower 6...and there is another stop at the front of the resort) about 15 mins early.
There was a lot of people there and as the bus approached I realized that they were all heading to Epcot/MK. DD and I needed the other bus. It came a short time later and there were just a few of us to board that one. The bus driver was so not friendly. We had to wait a bit for a scooter to load--and you have to load your own scooter! No ramp!! They literally picked the thing up and carried it on...crazy. Anyway, we made the stop at the front for other riders and were on our way. I figured DHS would be the first stop since we were the closest to that park, but no...we traveled all the way to AK before heading back to DHS. It took a while, but I didnt time it so I dont remember for sure. Once we got to the AK, the lady with the scooter needed to get it off. The disgruntled bus driver waited for someone to offer to haul that thing off of there. (The scooter lady's husband had to jump off the bus at the second BC stop because they forgot something and he was going to meet up with them after catching another shuttle.) Since the lady needing the scooter was wearing 5 inch wedges;) she wasnt able to get the scooter off. Another man on the bus said "guess this is my job" and got up to help get it off...as the bus driver was scolding him for the way he was helping:faint: Not the most plesant experience....and definately not magical Disney bus attendants :)
The busses dropped you out in the middle of the parking areas and you walked from there. I told DH I was so glad that we had our car and wouldnt have to take them again. It was a bit time consuming and the shuttles dont run constantly like the Disney busses do.
My suggestion would be to take your rental. It gives you more freedom. Just budget the parking into your budget. You are already saving lots just staying at BC:thumbsup2
Getting around the property is so easy. You can use the GPS as well, but I will say that when we plugged in BC's address it couldnt find it. I asked an employee one day if there was an address that would work for BC. He said not to use Lake Buena Vista as the city, but use Orlando instead. We tried that and it worked perfectly. We used the GPS for the times when we ventured off property to eat. It brought us home easily each time.

Thanks for the great insights. And for the bus story, blessedby3. After reading that, looks like we are driving to the parks, lol. :lmao: I'm cheap but I also don't want to waste tons of time--I'd rather enjoy our vacation. Our trip has been prepaid for months so I guess I'll just stop worrying about being a tightwad and pony up the parking fee!

I will print off directions for Orlando International to WBC, just in case my GPS doesn't work. And then it sounds like we should be able to navigate our way to the parks. Thanks!

We stayed at BC for the first time last month and in my opinion: rent a car. We did not utilize their buses because we weren't allowed to take DD's stroller on board. I was amazed when I read that on their bus schedule seeing how WDW is a family destination and a good percentage of those visiting the parks do have a child who is still using a stroller.

We stayed at BC for the first time last month and in my opinion: rent a car. We did not utilize their buses because we weren't allowed to take DD's stroller on board. I was amazed when I read that on their bus schedule seeing how WDW is a family destination and a good percentage of those visiting the parks do have a child who is still using a stroller.
Unless there is some recent change, in more than a dozen visits to the resort over the past few years I've watched many, many, many of people take strollers on the Bonnet Creek bus. There is a confusing "no strollers" sign, which I was told meant kids can't ride in the stroller on the bus -- the same rules as the Disney buses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter