WWYD - AOA v POR

tkbbmom

Mouseketeer
We are going in Nov. for 10 nights/11 day w/ a free-dining PIN. Our party is 2 adults and kids ages 17, 15, 10. While the trip is a family trip, it's really all about dd --- she graduates high school in Dec. and this past year has been really a tough year for her. She iis a competitive gymnast but had to have surgery in Oct to remove a bone and reconstruct tendons, the recovery has been slow and painful and in the end while the surgery was needed she is not seeing the outcome of being able to return to her sport or even life as normal. To add to that they discovered in Feb after she lost 20 pounds and they thought it was Leukemia in the end it turns out to be a blood disorder that she'll have the rest of her life, but it isn't life threatening under normal circumstances. All that to say we are trying to pick everything for her.

So, w/ that in mind we have AOA/Nemo for our first night no dining -- then we move to 2 POR RR's/Riverview for 9 nights. Now that dd has looked more on-line she loves the themeing of AOA/Nemo more than the RR. Cost isn't the major factor here - but it would be about $1000 less for AOA now that oldest isn't going and we wouldn't need two AOA rooms.

Would you just keep the reservations I have or try to change to all AOA? We've always stayed at Mods and I do admit that the themeing at AOA is fun -- but I worry about only 3 beds instead of 4 for kids not used to sharing a room not to mention wondering about walking distances at resort, etc.

Depends on what type of free dining u want. POR will get u the full dining w your pin. AoA will only get u the quick service. Why don't you do a few days at AoA as then switch.

My opinion, AoA, it's the wife and I's favorite...well, right next to Poly. I really feel like placing AoA in the 'value' category underrates it. It's right up there with the moderates, and as I said...the only resorts I would pick over it are the monorail deluxes. The theme is awesome, the rooms are nice, the pool situation is the best I have seen, bar none. Every section except Lion King has its own pool, and the Nemo pool is absolutely amazing. Landscape of Flavors is the best quick service resort dining experience I've had as of yet. The buses are a long ride for me because I have some ACL issues, but the actual bus situation is one of the best. They normally have twice the buses everyone else has because of the large families. The Ink and Paint shop is awesome.

Everything at AoA seems to be twice the size of all the other resort's stuff, and the same quality as the deluxes. I dont get it, and the themeing isn't tacky or cheesy at all as compared to the other Values.

I've stayed at AoA once and POR once. It's a $1000 difference between the two when we stay LM at AoA and standard at POR. Even if the $1000 difference was swapped, I would pay it to stay at AoA...so the fact that it's cheaper makes it a no brainer for me. POR is nice, and I think you'll enjoy it if you go. AoA just won us over on our last trip.

I have an opposing opinion--I would go with POR. Better food court, boat to DTD, TS within the resort, less in room noise, carriage rides, more pools and pools have a deep end.

I have an opposing opinion--I would go with POR. Better food court, boat to DTD, TS within the resort, less in room noise, carriage rides, more pools and pools have a deep end.

So, AOA pools don't have a deep end? Of course, when I looked I didn't think I saw water slides either.

I would choose to move to POR. Mostly because of the dining plan that is offered for the moderates vs the value dining plan, but also because of the laid back feel. You are going to have a great time whichever you choose!

So, AOA pools don't have a deep end? Of course, when I looked I didn't think I saw water slides either.

None of the values have pools deeper than 5' and none have slides. At the moderates (only) the main pool has a slide. I usually stay in the values, but once at AoA was enough for me. IMHO POR has the best food court on property!

While I haven't stayed at AOA yet ( Cars suite booked for 2014) I would move to AOA if that's what she wants. I have enjoyed a stay at POR and it was nice. But I didn't LOVE it as do a lot of people. Also having 2 rooms for a family is something that I don't think I would like. I like for my family to all be together. And while it's true that you'll get free QS dining with AOA, you can always pay the upgrade fee to the basic dining plan. We did this when we stayed at Pop last year. So my vote is the Nemo suite!!! Those rooms look awesome and your whole family will be together!!! You can just use some of that $1000 to upgrade to the DDP and still have some money left over.

IMO, if it's all about DD, do what DD wants, and upgrade to regular dining if that's important.

I would stay at AoA and upgrade the dining plan with your savings (if that's something that interests you). Especially if that's what you daughter wants and the trip is all about her. POR will always be there in the future.

I just read your post again and noticed u think the 3 beds is a concern. Just to let you know it's 3 double beds. One in the bedroom, one pull out sofa and one Murphy bed that pulls out the table. I can't imagine two teenagers fitting in either of the pull out beds.

I personally would go with the POR RR as it's my favorite mod. Your trip though is to celebrate your daughter's accomplishments :goodvibes so if she's leaning towards a Nemo room at AoA, I'd go that route! You can use the $1,000 savings to upgrade from the QSDP to the DDP.

If it's all about DD, then do what she wants! If it's the DDP that is holding you back then you can upgrade for less than the $1000 it would cost you to stay at POR.

Thank you to everyone! DD read your replies, re-looked at both rooms pics and reviews on-line and spoke w/ some friends who stayed at AOA in a Car room back in Jan. She has decided that a night or two in Nemo would be good -- but really has fond memories of POR and loves their food court and pool. I think to the bed arrangement will be better -- dh is 6'5, dd 5'8, ds 6'1 -- the youngest (so far) and I are the only short ones so they don't like the thought of sharing double beds. Plus we have Deluxe Dining to get in all the places they want to eat - 3 are 2 credits ec - and bec w/ middle ds's training he is suppose to eat 5000 cal a day.

I just read your post again and noticed u think the 3 beds is a concern. Just to let you know it's 3 double beds. One in the bedroom, one pull out sofa and one Murphy bed that pulls out the table. I can't imagine two teenagers fitting in either of the pull out beds.

1 Queen Bed and 1 Double-Size Table Bed and 1 Double-Size Sleeper Sofa according to Disney website.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter