WTHeck... is up with kids meals

This has been a helpful thread! My kids haven't met a burger or chicken nugget that they would even touch (and I'm definitely ok with that), and we typically visit DLR, which has better options (JMO). But people have mentioned quite a few options here, although I'm curious about anymore CS options as we don't do a lot of TS.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Raglan Road. The children's menu there seems pretty extensive - steak, fish, shrimp, risotto, etc. And the dancers/musicians there are fun to watch, providing the kids with entertainment.

Not sure how I missed Raglan Road! Its DSs favorite restaurant on property! He says the Mac and Cheese is the best [so it tends to be the one time he'll order it on a trip]. They do have some unique choices on the kids menu plus the music and dancers make for a great evening. Highly, highly recommended.

It's always worth asking most places are very accommodating especially if it's something already on the menu.

This has been a helpful thread! My kids haven't met a burger or chicken nugget that they would even touch (and I'm definitely ok with that), and we typically visit DLR, which has better options (JMO). But people have mentioned quite a few options here, although I'm curious about anymore CS options as we don't do a lot of TS.

Ask and you shall receive:

Mr. Kamal -falafel sandwich
Restaurantosaurus - turkey wrap sandwich
Backlot Express - grilled vegetable sandwich
Min & Bill - pork shank, turkey leg [no kids menu listed, should be available]
Electric Umbrella - vegetable flatbread
Sunshine Seasons - caesar salad with chicken, mongolian beef, chicken leg and salmon
Lotus Blossom Cafe - sweet and sour chicken
Boulangerie les Halles - no kid menu listed, should be able to get some interesting options
Sommerfest - no listed kids menu, should be able to get the wurst [currywurst is awesome]
Kabuki Cafe - has sushi as a snack option. Not really a *kid* menu, but they get snacks too and it would open up your options even more to burn a snack here as a light [or heavier if you use more than one. Added bonus, no need to go looking for rice crispie bars to send home to burn snack credits]
Tortuga Tavern - cheese quesadilla
BOG - slow cooked pork
Diamond Horseshoe - Pork Brisket Sandwich, Turkey Sandwich
Columbia Harbor House - Tuna Sandwich [cut like Mickey!]
All Star/POP/AoA Food Courst - multiple options
Mara - Green Salad with Chicken
Boardwalk Bakery - Ham and Cheese Sandwich, Turkey Sandwich
Old Port Royale - Mojo Pork, Salmon, Roast Turkey
Pepper Market - nachos, quesadilla
Gasparilla Grill - vegetable wrap
Sassagoula Floatworks - BBQ Ribs, fish sandwich, pot roast
Riverside Mill -sliced beef/ham/turkey, tuna sandwich
The Smoke House - Pulled Park Sliders

Hope that helps! Have fun...

Sunshine Seasons - caesar salad with chicken, mongolian beef, chicken leg and salmon
Boulangerie les Halles - no kid menu listed, should be able to get some interesting options
Sommerfest - no listed kids menu, should be able to get the wurst [currywurst is awesome]
Kabuki Cafe - has sushi as a snack option. Not really a *kid* menu, but they get snacks too and it would open up your options even more to burn a snack here as a light [or heavier if you use more than one. Added bonus, no need to go looking for rice crispie bars to send home to burn snack credits]
BOG - slow cooked pork

:wave2: OH. My. Goodness. Thank you sooo much, your posts have been so helpful!!

BOG - slow cooked pork

There are lots of choices, but I'm assuming these are just regular choices and not kids choices, yes? Hence the argument against the DP and just paying out of pocket. OOP gives you so much more choice and healthy ones, btw, for kiddos. You're detective work is appreciated!

There are lots of choices, but I'm assuming these are just regular choices and not kids choices, yes? Hence the argument against the DP and just paying out of pocket. OOP gives you so much more choice and healthy ones, btw, for kiddos. You're detective work is appreciated!

Unless noted they were kids menu choices (at least the ones I double checked). Also if there is no kids meal a kid can order off the regular menu. I also saw a bunch of places with the kids power pack or turkey sandwich. Pizza palace had a mini chicken sub.

Unless noted they were kids menu choices (at least the ones I double checked). Also if there is no kids meal a kid can order off the regular menu. I also saw a bunch of places with the kids power pack or turkey sandwich. Pizza palace had a mini chicken sub.

Amazing and awesome. I guess that's what a little detective work will do. Thank you so much! :dance3:

My kids are all considered adults at Disney now but even when they weren't we didn't restrictt them to just the kid menu, if they wanted something off the adult menu that is what they ordered.
The DDP doesn't work for us, and that is one of the reasons why in the past.

We pass in DP and choose places with more variety then use that, meal sharing of adult meals and app or sides. San angel, boma, Mara, CHH, mama melrose, cosmic rays roast chicken with sides, flake tree, all over WS QS,France was a fav, ohana. You just need to do some homework and pick and choose from menu. My kids aren't into nuggets and fries and had them once at our resort in 9 days and that was because it was in a bucket

You guys should trying having a vegetarian child. You can only have cheese pizza and macaroni and cheese so many times.

I was a vegetarian child, so I hear you on that (Also at one point the doctor told me I wasn't allowed to eat tomatoes, strawberries, or sugar which were pretty much my favourite foods. No pasta, no pizza...while being vegetarian. Eating out was impossible.). Actually, even when I was an adult vegetarian, eating out was difficult because most restaurants just weren't set up to handle it.

From what I hear, though, Disney is pretty good about actual dietary restrictions. Maybe if you speak with the chef at the restaurant he can come up with something? Even if it's just some vegetable sides all on a plate?

I will say though, there is NOTHING wrong with a burger or chicken nuggets. I have had some dang good burgers that would blow many other food items out of the water. Nothing like some grass fed beef with grilled onions and mushrooms, cheese, and avocado on a pretzel roll!

I also find it odd that magically kids will reach the age of 10 and be happy with the adult menu. I would expect that kids that are only happy with nuggets or pizza will continue this way into their teenage years without some pushing to try new things from a parent. Although as many have said there are many kids who want to try new things even when under 10!

I will say though, there is NOTHING wrong with a burger or chicken nuggets. I have had some dang good burgers that would blow many other food items out of the water. Nothing like some grass fed beef with grilled onions and mushrooms, cheese, and avocado on a pretzel roll!

Yep ok that made me hungry... point me to the burgers... :lmao:

ok after reading all the comments, obviously all kids are different, some are picky and some have allergies and some just don't like the "normal" stuff and some do..... and obviously the DP doesn't work well for some, I get ALL that.

Thank you to those who found some alternative places for them to try something different. I think Disney does this well... and I commend you on your detective work... much THANKS

Ask and you shall receive: Mr. Kamal -falafel sandwich Restaurantosaurus - turkey wrap sandwich Backlot Express - grilled vegetable sandwich Min & Bill - pork shank, turkey leg [no kids menu listed, should be available] Electric Umbrella - vegetable flatbread Sunshine Seasons - caesar salad with chicken, mongolian beef, chicken leg and salmon Lotus Blossom Cafe - sweet and sour chicken Boulangerie les Halles - no kid menu listed, should be able to get some interesting options Sommerfest - no listed kids menu, should be able to get the wurst [currywurst is awesome] Kabuki Cafe - has sushi as a snack option. Not really a *kid* menu, but they get snacks too and it would open up your options even more to burn a snack here as a light [or heavier if you use more than one. Added bonus, no need to go looking for rice crispie bars to send home to burn snack credits] Tortuga Tavern - cheese quesadilla BOG - slow cooked pork Diamond Horseshoe - Pork Brisket Sandwich, Turkey Sandwich Columbia Harbor House - Tuna Sandwich [cut like Mickey!] All Star/POP/AoA Food Courst - multiple options Mara - Green Salad with Chicken Boardwalk Bakery - Ham and Cheese Sandwich, Turkey Sandwich Old Port Royale - Mojo Pork, Salmon, Roast Turkey Pepper Market - nachos, quesadilla Gasparilla Grill - vegetable wrap Sassagoula Floatworks - BBQ Ribs, fish sandwich, pot roast Riverside Mill -sliced beef/ham/turkey, tuna sandwich The Smoke House - Pulled Park Sliders Hope that helps! Have fun...

Wow! Thank you so much! Yes, that helps a lot. We aren't for sure on the DDP yet. We haven't ever needed it but might do it this time with two kiddos. We usually share our plates with them because kids meals are so blah at most places. For example, we went out this weekend and I shared clam chowder, scallops, rice and veggies with my DD2. DH shared his seared tuna, rice and veggies with DD4. And we all shared the calamari steak appetizer. They do not eat typical kids menu food.

The sushi is a fantastic note, also. That's DD4's favorite food so that's actually a great snack for us (already have Tempan Edo on our list).

I would agree with you! But DDs wouldn't! :) They don't enjoy red meat overly much although DD4 will eat steak (cut up) if it's in the form of a well-seasoned taco. And they won't eat anything fried or from fast food restaurants. We don't go very often, and I think we have overly exposed them to better quality restaurant food as well as I make all our meals at home. We do try to eat healthier.

There's nothing wrong, to be clear, with kids who don't eat like my kids. I am not saying that at all. But there is very little variance in most kids meal options, and that's sometimes frustrating for kids who eat more adventurously. Hence why we share adult meals with them so often.

There's nothing wrong, to be clear, with kids who don't eat like my kids. I am not saying that at all. But there is very little variance in most kids meal options, and that's sometimes frustrating for kids who eat more adventurously. Hence why we share adult meals with them so often.

Totally agree. My kids will eat whatever you give them (less picky than I am even!) If we are talking about giving them nuggets, burgers, pizza for a meal or two I have no issue with it. But when you are talking about a week or longer worth of meals more variety is needed. Although with two we usually just split an adult entrée between them when paying OOP.

Yep, it amazes me too. I just dont get it. :confused3 People were complaining that kids meals included too much junk. Yet when BOG introduced healthier options, people were outraged and started bringing in their own nuggets! Like WTH?? :confused3

It wasn't the same people.

While it was great to see something other than nuggets etc on the BOG kids menu it would have been even better if it actually tasted good to the kids as well.

...That is why I always tell parents with picky eaters to keep trying to get their kids to at least try things they say they don't like.

The only thing on the BOG kid's menu for DS was the pasta with marinara. Not hard to mess up. They did! It prompted my hungry son to ask for a bite of potato leek soup (there has been exactly one soup that he has ever been moved to try...the whole soup thing isn't his fave idea) and he immediately pushed the pasta aside. It's too bad they can't make a GOOD pasta+marinara.

Truly picky kids aren't going to care. I have FOUR siblings who were picky to the point of simply not eating. The "kids won't let themselves starve" quoters never met my younger sibs!

Parents of kids who will keep on trying things are lucky. And don't have truly picky, headstrong, kids.

I knew a lady who let her kids eat whatever they wanted, ie chicken nuggets, pizza, and as adults that is all they eat now. I am very big on introducing all kinds of foods to my DD early.

The lady was unlucky, you were lucky.

I have one sib who still eats only what she ate as a kid. I have another who will eat quite a lot of foods he refused as a child. The two in between, well I don't know what they eat, LOL. Haven't paid attention. Both grew to be strapping 6'4" men, though. Something went right there.

All 4 would have, and did at various points, let themselves go without food as long as they felt was needed.

You guys should trying having a vegetarian child. You can only have cheese pizza and macaroni and cheese so many times.

My son would disagree that you can only have those things so many times, but I certainly feel that way. :)

It's why we go to Tusker House, though. Tasty mac&cheese, which lets him know he's got something tasty to eat in case the other things he tries don't work for him. We love TH.

I have no idea what's in the Kraft mac and cheese, but I have yet to try one in the US where either the pasta hasn't been overcooked until it's pappy or a cheese sauce that isn't bright yellow and actually tastes of cheese!!

Sad, isn't it? But there are places in the US that make real stuff. Not necessarily the chain places, though.

It's always worth asking most places are very accommodating especially if it's something already on the menu.

The issue is the dining plan. That can tie the hands of the servers.

That comment makes absolutely zero sense

Agreed.

The DDP doesn't work for us, and that is one of the reasons why in the past.

Same situation. The plan doesn't work with how any of us eat, so we haven't yet gotten it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter