Wow, what happened to quality/quanity?

Wish Upon A Star

DIS Veteran
I'm sad to report that our last dining experiences were sub-par at best.

DH and I just returned from a quickie 3 day trip for the Flower/Garden festival and had a bit of trouble with swallowing our dining ressies . . .

First up: Tony's . . .this was my favorite place, I've had awesome meals there, but this last time makes me have to say . .I'll never eat there again!
Had 6:15 ressies on 3/5 . . .check-in line was HUGE, arrived 15 min prior to find that half the people in line did not have ressies at all, but were looking to eat . . .ok,, fine, whatever . . .get to the counter, system down, said I had 6:15 ressies . .didn't get seated until well after 7pm . . .people that were walk-ins getting seated before ressies . . .ok, fine . .I'll be fine with that . .not really, but I didn't complain . . .sat down . . .waited 10 minutes for server to come over, no water, no specials . . .ordered ceasar salads and dinner at same time . . .ceasar salad and bread comes . . .not bad . . .then dinner . . .OMG . . .DH had chicken parm . ..dry with bland sauce, bland pasta, I ordered spaghetti with sausage . . .bland, no taste at all . . .ugh, waiter was no where to be found, no refills of anything to drink . . .no "how is everything" . . .Really, nothing like we've ever experienced before . . .we've had GREAT meals there before . . .I don't know if busboys are now the chefs or what, but the quality and quanity of dinner was barely mediocore at best . . .the server was not trained properly at all . . . .it was in a word BAD at best . . .

San Angel Inn . . .great food, but again, service was lacking . . .no refill of drinks no server to be found . . .I do have to say though that they were NOT taking walk-ins at all . . .and turning them away . . .what is the point of making ressies to have people without ressies get in ahead of you? Tony's should take notice on that . . .

I'm not sure what is going on exactly, but I expected more from previous experiences . . .I'm sad to say that we will be having counter service from here on out . . .I'm not going to spend $$$ on mediocore food and poor service . .maybe it was just a fluke . . .but it is NOTHING like we've experienced in the past . . .:sad2:

I think you were just very unlucky. I was at the parks in December, and we had great service at all of our ADRs. With a big shout out to the wait staff at Tutto Italia. They were so attentive and helpful.

I can say though that I would never eat at Tony's. You see more bad reviews about that restaurant than any other. I hope you complained and at least tried to get them to comp some of your food. It sounds as if it, and the service, were pretty terrible.

I think you were just very unlucky. I was at the parks in December, and we had great service at all of our ADRs. With a big shout out to the wait staff at Tutto Italia. They were so attentive and helpful.

I can say though that I would never eat at Tony's. You see more bad reviews about that restaurant than any other. I hope you complained and at least tried to get them to comp some of your food. It sounds as if it, and the service, were pretty terrible.

I didn't even think of complaining I just wanted to get out of there . . .we've never had a bad meal there prior to this time . . .in fact, it was one of our family favs years ago . . .sad to see that there are many bad reviews on this once great restaurant . . .:(

To answer your original question, I blame it on the roll out of the DDP. I totally understand why Disney did it and it makes since, ingenious really but it has led to more institutional dining. Qualified by it's JMHO.

I think you were just unlucky. We are just back and even though we chose a few restaurants that I have fairly low expectations of (Sci-Fi, Tusker House) we had fairly good experiences on the whole.

Tony's is one I probably wouldn't go back to again; we ate there last year because my DD4 is absolutely infatuated with Lady & the Tramp and had what was at best an average-quality Italian meal with some low points (a not-so-great server and no cappuccino because the machine was down, even though we were the first seating of the day - should have been repaired overnight/before opening IMO). And I very seldom see good reviews so I don't have any reason to believe it would be better if we gave it another try.

get to the counter, system down, said I had 6:15 ressies . .didn't get seated until well after 7pm . . .people that were walk-ins getting seated before ressies . . .ok, fine . .I'll be fine with that . .not really, but I didn't complain . . .sat down .

If you do not speak up for yourself it is useless to complain later.

We ate at Tony's in 2012 & it was good, maybe it was an off night for ya'll. As for the reservations, we had the same thing happen to us at The Plaza in MK. We had reservations & we were waiting our turn & they were seating people without reservations before us. I thought that wasn't right. What's the point in making reservations months in advance if a person can walk up & get in before you while you've been waiting to be seated, seems unfair. However, we didn't have that issue in the other parks, only MK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter