Would you move to FL for Disney?

We wouldn't move to visit the parks. We would move to work there. Still our goal, although we may be at retirement age before that can happen

Floridians telling NY/NJ people about Hurricanes ... didn't NY/NJ just get blasted by a Hurricane? That should make no difference, sure Florida has a far greater chance of getting hit by a Hurricane but NY/NJ have a far greater chance of getting hit by a Noreaster Snow storm so as stated every place has issues.

with that said, I personally would not move to FL simply for the parks, there has to be other motivation

Maybe the beaches? FL does have 2-3 of the top 10 beaches in the world.

Maybe the outdoors? FL has some great outdoor nature type related things i.e. The Everglades, The Nature Coast.

Maybe Historical reasons? St. Augustine area is rich with History and an absolutely gorgeous area!

Maybe an Economic reason, Florida has some of the lowest home value right now. You could buy a mansion in FL for what it would cost to buy a shack in NY/NJ areas ... it's definitely a buyers market down here right now.

Then again, maybe it is the parks you seek ... I'll admit, we've been around 12 times this year. Sometimes just for a few hours we'll drive out. It is nice to have something in your back yard that many others spend years planning and years saving thousands and thousands of dollars to visit.

It's all up to you really!

and who can complain about wearing shorts and flip flops in Dec/Jan/Feb???

I realize every state has different natural disasters to be concerned about & certainly our NJ/NY residents got blasted with the recent hurricane, I was just pointing out that it's a more common worry here & something to consider.

I would love to live in FL...even work at WDW. I grew up in Winter Park, FL from the time I was 1 till I was 12. We used to go over on the weekends (30 mins drive) and Disney used the ticket booklets then....great memories! (This was back in the '70's)
I tell my DH all the time that I would love to be back, but ALL of our family is right here with us (our parents, siblings and our newley married DD). I just dont think I could leave all our family. I know we are blessed to be able to live right by them all...as so many families have their family members spread out all over the country. Our kids have been blessed to have their grandparents right by them all of their lives.
If we didnt have family ties here...I think I would be in FL in a heartbeat!

We are from Jersey too and we do consider Florida also. My husband keeps saying, just think, Disney any time we want. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Disney but am afraid it would become old like others are saying. We have such a difference in ages in our kids, college and elementary school so it would be hard for us right now. It is definately something we keep on the table as an option. It was interesting reading everyone's opinions...thanks for posting this.

Those rankings, they're not taking the size of the state into consideration. Compare 10 fish in a jar to 100 in a pool... which has more elbow room? (or in that case fin room)

Population densities is what counts most imo.

Yes, but Florida is not that much bigger than many other states in the south or midwest. It's MUCH denser than, say, Missouri.

I could live in Texas probably, if work required it. It's the second largest state in population, but also the largest geographically outside of Alaska.

Florida is a pretty densely packed state. Yes, there are relatively uncrowded areas in the state (as there are in any state) especially in the northern middle part of the state, but not much along the coasts or near the cities where you'd probably want to live to be close to WDW. My wife grew up in Cocoa Beach, FL and brags about how relatively sparse the population was there in those days (and about being able to be at WDW within 90 minutes). Not these days. There are millions of people along the Space Coast now, despite NASA's cutbacks.

A popular misconception. Only south FL and the big cities are heavily populated. Much of Florida is rural. In fact, we live on 8 acres and have no nearby neighbors. Our county has a law that allows only one home per acre for new construction. All of the outlying areas here are farms.

Other than the main roads (and even some of them) most of the roads here are dirt roads!! We moved here from WV and this place is so country it makes WV look like big city living. The pace of life here is slow and easy. Nearly everybody knows each other and most people are in church on Sunday and Wednesday. It's the Bible belt.

If you've never experienced real FL, you have no idea what you're missing. It's nothing like Miami or what most people see of it in the tourist areas and cities. I'll admit I was shocked myself. I love it here. It's a great place to raise kids.

As far as the bugs, WHAT BUGS????? I have only seen a couple of houseflies in all the years we've been here. You can eat outside and not be bothered. There are also no gnats! Are you talking about Love Bugs? They are only out for a short time twice a year and are like mentally challenged lightening bugs. The look just like them but fly into stuff and just get stuck there. They are not a problem for us at all.

Your area sounds like what my city/county was like once upon a time when we first moved here too. Over the last 2 decades the growth has been nothing short of phenomenal & my sweet, quiet rural area has been overrun. :(

I guess it's not JUST bugs either: Red ants, mosquitos, sand fleas, ticks, no-see-ums, wolf spiders, black widows, brown recluse, (we've found all 3 on our property at one time or another) palmetto bugs... and the snakes... pygmy rattlers, water moccasins, etc to name a few. Not necessarily all exclusive to FL, but just things to be aware of. We certainly didn't have all this in PA where I grew up, ;).

Yes, family and school are 2 things that are holding us here. We live in a town that is known for good schools. My wife is very active in the school board/PTA/whatever it's called and she knows a lot of people here. My girls are comfortable in this town with their friends and it would be tough to move out.

My wife and I are both only children so it's only our parents that are holding us in this area.

The plan right now is to stay in this town until the kids are in college (my youngest is 4 so it'll be awhile lol) and then I want to move to FL or wherever we may decide.

We moved from NJ to FL 10 years ago. We didn't move because of the parks. We are in South FL, so WDW is a weekend trip for us. I can't just pop into Epcot for lunch on a whim.

As far as hurricanes - new houses in South Florida are built to post-Andrew building codes, so a house in Florida wouldn't sustain as much damage in a storm as a similar home in NJ. People are prepared for storms in FL - storm shutters and generators are common. I have never seen accoridian storm shutters on a house in NJ, but both houses we have lived in FL had them. We wouldn't buy a house without them, unless the house had impact resistant windows.

Real estate taxes are about equal from where I lived in NJ. However, homeowners or renters insurance prices can bring tears to your eyes and make your budget cry for mercy. Car insurance prices are relatively equal.

I wouldn't consider a move to Florida unless I had a job waiting. Unemployment and under-employment is a big issue here.

However, in spite of the negatives of living in FL, you couldn't make me leave. I love it here.

Yes, but Florida is not that much bigger than many other states in the south or midwest. It's MUCH denser than, say, Missouri.

I could live in Texas probably, if work required it. It's the second largest state in population, but also the largest geographically outside of Alaska.

Florida is a pretty densely packed state. Yes, there are relatively uncrowded areas in the state (as there are in any state) especially in the northern middle part of the state, but not much along the coasts or near the cities where you'd probably want to live to be close to WDW. My wife grew up in Cocoa Beach, FL and brags about how relatively sparse the population was there in those days (and about being able to be at WDW within 90 minutes). Not these days. There are millions of people now along the Space Coast now, despite NASA's cutbacks.

I hear ya. What I was trying to say is, there is more elbow room (since I heard that phrase early on in the topic) in FL than there is in NJ so it wouldn't bother me. I actually like SOME population... I rather not be located somewhere where Leatherface can get me LOL

My wife and I seriously considered moving to central Florida for the same reason. We were not overly concerned with the bugs, hurricanes or heat. What detered us after doing a ton of research were the horror stories of all the crime happening right oustide the World and in the surrounding towns.

I know crime can happen anywere, but we didn't want to take a chance with three little ones.

Not just for Disney, but for the state as a whole, YES!
But, I moved to VA from FL, so it would be going "home" to me! And my husband and I are actually concidering it now, to move to Cocoa, and a big thought on my side (not the top of the list, but big) is DIsney's right there! I would save thousands a year, by having it close enough to day trip!

No. We've looked into Florida since we are hoping to move farther south, but their licensing structure for my husband's job is different. His certs/licenses would essentially be useless.

I didn't look much into it at the time since it was already a no from us, but I don't believe as a teacher that anyone wants to get near Florida schools (from what I've heard).

I hear ya. What I was trying to say is, there is more elbow room (since I heard that phrase early on in the topic) in FL than there is in NJ so it wouldn't bother me. I actually like SOME population... I rather not be located somewhere where Leatherface can get me LOL

:rotfl2: True. I guess I need to rethink those Texas plans.

Just looked up the pop. densities by state, and NJ was numero uno, just ahead of RI. Florida was ranked #8. Florida and Ohio were the only non-Atlantic seaboard states (and DC) in the top 10. But I guess if you can deal with it in NJ, you can handle Florida.

I bought a car in Sarasota last year, and was very impressed at how "livable" much of that city is when I drove around it. My wife lived there several years in early adulthood (along with Orlando) and still says Sarasota is hands down her favorite place she lived in Florida. Still too crowded for my tastes, but it's something to consider (and not that far from WDW), if you're going to move to Florida for sure.

I'd have to be able to provide an equal or better quality life for my family, so the answer is a resounding no.

The thought is nice, but having lived in Charleston for a few years I learned that I like my seasons in the Northeast.

We're thinking of staying seasonally once we retire.

does anyone know if "snowbirds" can establish residency for discounts on tickets?

:rotfl2: True. I guess I need to rethink those Texas plans.

Just looked up the pop. densities by state, and NJ was numero uno, just ahead of RI. Florida was ranked #8. Florida and Ohio were the only non-Atlantic seaboard states (and DC) in the top 10. But I guess if you can deal with it in NJ, you can handle Florida.

I bought a car in Sarasota last year, and was very impressed at how "livable" much of that city is when I drove around it. My wife lived there several years in early adulthood (along with Orlando) and still says Sarasota is hands down her favorite place she lived in Florida. Still too crowded for my tastes, but it's something to consider (and not that far from WDW), if you're going to move to Florida for sure.

I wouldn't want to live in the city of Sarasota, I would want to live near or on one of the keys... Siesta Key being my favorite... it's my dream to live there with water access but those houses are in the millions.

Families with school-aged children with working parents have very different set of needs & resources than semi or fully retired couples.

When we moved here our youngest boys were 12 & 15. I still work 55 hours per week. Not sure what difference that makes but I can tell you the schools here beat WV hands down!

Our kids are grown now (youngest 19) and the last of them is in college but still lives at home. It really hasn't changed our view of the state at all.

I just dont think I could leave all our family. I know we are blessed to be able to live right by them all...as so many families have their family members spread out all over the country. Our kids have been blessed to have their grandparents right by them all of their lives.
If we didnt have family ties here...I think I would be in FL in a heartbeat!

I couldn't have left my family either. Both of my two grown daughters and their husbands decided to move down here as well. We decided on the move and were all here within a year. :) If not for that, we wouldn't be here. There is no place on earth I would chose over my family.

Your area sounds like what my city/county was like once upon a time when we first moved here too. Over the last 2 decades the growth has been nothing short of phenomenal & my sweet, quiet rural area has been overrun. :(

I guess it's not JUST bugs either: Red ants, mosquitos, sand fleas, ticks, no-see-ums, wolf spiders, black widows, brown recluse, (we've found all 3 on our property at one time or another) palmetto bugs... and the snakes... pygmy rattlers, water moccasins, etc to name a few. Not necessarily all exclusive to FL, but just things to be aware of. We certainly didn't have all this in PA where I grew up, ;).

I've heard lots of stories since I've been down here about rural to nightmare. I guess that has happened many places. My county and one of the neighboring ones just put laws in place a couple of years ago to hopefully slow down the population growth.

I guess I really shouldn't be on here telling people how awesome it is as I would like to preserve our way of life. So ... Florida sucks! Don't move here! It's hot and has bugs! ;)

You got me on the fire ants and mosquitoes. I hate them both. We had plenty of mosquitoes up north, but even more so here. Fire ants are horrible! We try to keep our property free of them, but they are something you have to keep on top of in FL as they pop up overnight.

We had wolf spiders, black widows, and brown recluse up north also. In fact, I have only seen one black widow since we've been down here and none of the others. I saw plenty of them over the years in WV and MD.

Same with snakes. We had copperheads and timber rattlers in WV as we lived out in the country there also. Poisonous snakes are everywhere, so you always have to be cautious of them.

We're thinking of staying seasonally once we retire.

does anyone know if "snowbirds" can establish residency for discounts on tickets?

I was wondering that too. I'm assuming you would have to pick one or the other... better off picking FL since you'll get the perks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter