Would you drive or Fly to FL this Summer?

Fly or Drive to FL from Northeast

• Drive

Votes: 39 33.1%
  • Fly

Votes: 76 64.4%
  • other

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

Donald Duck888

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Have an upcoming trip to FL (Disney) planned for this Summer and not sure if I want to fly or drive. I live in NH so it's not a short trip. Flying is much faster, although more expensive but especially lately it has its share of downsides like delays,cancellations, limited flight offerings and such.

It is just myself and my 15yr old daughter going this time so I would be the sole driver. We do have time as she is out of school for the Summer so I can stop overnight a night or two each way if that is what we wish and I have hotel certificates that are actually expiring soon that we could use for those stays. We are going to be in Disney for 6 nights.

Just curious what others may be doing and what they think of the two options.

Thanks.

Depends on if flying isn't going to stretch your budget and if you like to drive and if you are planning stopping early enough in the day to explore where you stop.

I would probably fly but that is just because I hate driving. I don't mind riding or long road tris, just hate driving. I do drive down to WDW but I live in Georgia and it's only about a 7 to 7 1/2 hour drive.

If you stop on the drive as you say and it's not scheduled into the trip you might miss your wdw reservation. So unless you make it a road trip with scheduled stops I say fly.

We drive from NY because: our trips are on the longer side (usually 9-12 nights), we have the time (DH is a teacher and my girls' schedules are more flexible in the summer), we like being able to take pretty much anything with us that we want, it's "in our control" (no worries about flight delays/cancellations, etc.), and also we like having our car down there with us if/when we want to use it. BUT, in your case, being there 6 nights is right on the cusp of spending nearly as much time driving to/from as you'll be down there. If you think you'll enjoy the time together on the drive and might use the car while you're down there, I'd say go for that; otherwise, I'd fly.

I'd fly, and I recommend the earliest flights you can get, that way if there are weather delays they hopefully will not affect you.
This is one of my worries with flying actually. The only nonstop flight I could take leaves at 5:30 at night and the only nonstop back leaves at 2:30 in the afternoon. Neither is a really great time for flying in normal times but with all the delays/cancellations it makes me even more nervous. Also we fly out of a somewhat smaller airport as I do not like going to the Boston airport so that opens us to even more possible delay issues.

Its also way I always want nonstop.

One time, (before covid), we were flying back and had a stop in Philly. While we were waiting for our plane from there home we were told the aircraft was not available for our flight. Come to find out it was there but another (fuller) flight's aircraft was not so they used our equipment for that flight.

This is one of my worries with flying actually. The only nonstop flight I could take leaves at 5:30 at night and the only nonstop back leaves at 2:30 in the afternoon. Neither is a really great time for flying in normal times but with all the delays/cancellations it makes me even more nervous. Also we fly out of a somewhat smaller airport as I do not like going to the Boston airport so that opens us to even more possible delay issues.

Its also way I always want nonstop.

One time, (before covid), we were flying back and had a stop in Philly. While we were waiting for our plane from there home we were told the aircraft was not available for our flight. Come to find out it was there but another (fuller) flight's aircraft was not so they used our equipment for that flight.

I also fly out of a small airport, Bradley in CT. I won't fly anything but non stop, but that limits me to one flight a day right now on Southwest.

Hoping by next year they'll add at least one more non-stop, there used to be 3.

I also fly out of a small airport, Bradley in CT. I won't fly anything but non stop, but that limits me to one flight a day right now on Southwest.

Hoping by next year they'll add at least one more non-stop, there used to be 3.
It's the same up here too. Used to be 3 Southwest non-stops a day to MCO and now it is only the one. Southwest and Spirit are the only 2 airlines with nonstops from here to MCO.

I'm not opposed to driving although obviously flying is so much quicker. I have driven from New England to Florida in a straight shot to catch a cruise before (long story short nor'easter cancelled flights out but that that was not going to stop us. Rented a Suburban, piled the fam of 6 in and off we went. I drove about 24 hrs of the 27). We are planning a Disney trip this October and coming from central TX this time. The current plan is to drive- 17 hours. I want to go without stopping but we shall see.

I'd say if you don't mind driving and plan a stop or 2 along the way, go for it. Lots of sights to see along the way. Make it fun like stop at every state welcome sign and take a picture, or at least get a magnet from every state. I think it would be memorable for your daughter.

We used to live in MD (I know, not as far as you) and drove every trip. Stopped in Jacksonville the first night and had a short 3 hour-ish drive the next day. I understand that driving can have its own issues like traffic, but so does flying nowadays.
I'd vote for driving, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Have you considered the auto train? https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

Taking it would relieve you if driving that distance would be so wearing you'll be too tired to enjoy your first few days very much.

That might be a new adventure if you've not traveled much by train.

Although, might be too late to book the auto train, and you'd have to deal with DC traffic to get to its northern station.

We are driving to Florida this summer but it’s 4 of us . My husband and I will take turns driving. I couldn’t do the entire drive myself. If it were just me and my daughter I would fly no question.

We are driving to Florida this summer but it’s 4 of us . My husband and I will take turns driving. I couldn’t do the entire drive myself. If it were just me and my daughter I would fly no question.

If time were not a factor I would definitely take the road trip. You would have the ability to spend a lot of quality time with your daughter enjoying great conversations and building memories. Road trips are more memorable than coping your way through air travel / flight delays / cancelations =) However this is 100% preference.

When you are in no rush for things, everything becomes more enjoyable =)

OP, I would do cost analysis of flights versus gas/hotels. One thing I would also consider is if you would be driving straight through each way or would want to stop and spend any time somewhere along the way.

If I have no extra time and plan a straight to FL and home trip, I prefer to fly. If I have some extra time on either side of the trip, I do not mind driving so I can maybe plan a stop or two along the route to do something else.

I'd say if you don't mind driving and plan a stop or 2 along the way, go for it. Lots of sights to see along the way. Make it fun like stop at every state welcome sign and take a picture, or at least get a magnet from every state. I think it would be memorable for your daughter.
My daughter actually wanted to do this the last time we drove back from Disney a year or so ago but we ended up not getting it done. I think this would be a great idea and she would certainly enjoy it.

If time were not a factor I would definitely take the road trip. You would have the ability to spend a lot of quality time with your daughter enjoying great conversations and building memories. Road trips are more memorable than coping your way through air travel / flight delays / cancelations =) However this is 100% preference.

When you are in no rush for things, everything becomes more enjoyable =)
Your last line is so true. We do have the time as I can build a day or 2 around the front and back end of the vacation to do this.
Have you considered the auto train? https://www.amtrak.com/auto-train

Taking it would relieve you if driving that distance would be so wearing you'll be too tired to enjoy your first few days very much.
I actually had looked into this when planning the trip. It is just that for me at least the part of the drive it would eliminate is the enjoyable part of the drive (DC south). If there is one part of the drive that makes me hesitant it is the northeastern portion of it (DC north) as this is where most of the traffic/ high stress driving is. If we do drive I would most likely take the "inland" route" vs going through NY/NJ/DC areas to avoid as many urban centers as possible. Sometimes I even take the back roads through VT to get over to eastern NY and then west from there to 88 until I can pick up 81. The trip a year ago when we drove back we made a wrong turn in DC and ended up going right through the center of DC. It was not too bad as it was 3am so traffic was not terrible and it was cool to see all the monuments on the way through but I would hate to have that happen at a non middle of the night time.

OP, I would do cost analysis of flights versus gas/hotels. One thing I would also consider is if you would be driving straight through each way or would want to stop and spend any time somewhere along the way.
It is not a huge difference in cost with gas prices as they are now. Hotel would be cost free for one stop each way as I have hotel award vouchers (that expire soon after) that I could use for a stop each way. The flight while costly would be paid with points but if I don't use the points I can then use them on our trip next spring when we don't have the luxury of extra time.

I just did the math from Nashua to WDW. It's 1,318 miles. At 25mpg it would take 53 gallons each direction, at the national average price of $4.624 would be $243.75 for a total of $487.50 plus tolls, wear and tear, etc. For me the tipping point would be what is the cost going to be to fly. If I could get tickets for less than say $400 each I would do that. Use your free hotel certs for a night before and/or after your WDW stay, don't plan anything on arrival or departure day and roll with any changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter