Would you change staterooms from cat 08A to 05E or above?

cheermom2four

DIS Veteran
I'm really wondering if I should change our room to a veranda one instead of the dual port window view since its a 7 night on the Fantasy and we will have two sea days. My hubby and I love to just relax with the breeze (if there is even any) and we will have our two kids ages 5 and 16 at time of cruise. WE arent worried about the youngest as she wont be allowed outside without one of us and I have heard the doors do lock way up. Plus we would look at the Cat 04C which some of the rooms had a murphy bed instead of the one from the ceiling. I'm really starting to regret the 8a (stateroom 6016) even though I absolutely love the layout of a square room (was verified on pics and on reviews) I know the sea days we would just love to sit out and watch the ocean go by. I cant compare having a balcony to not because our first cruise isnt till February 2016 in which just DH and I (without kids) have a veranda but I also dont want to wait too long to change rooms for the 2nd cruise in case prices do go up. Any insight as to why or why not from people who have cruised would be appreciated.

I always get a verandah. I am always up earlier than the rest of my family and I love the opportunity to sit on the verandah with my kindle and watch us pull into port. It's the most relaxing part of the trip for me and I wouldn't go without it! I travelled with a 6 year old and 15 year old last year. The 15 year old would come out second and it gave us a chance to catch up and enjoy the scenery before the boys woke. Love the verandah....

You don't really have to worry about the prices going up (as much as availability) because when you upgrade you will be upgrading at the price the veranda was the day you booked your Cat 8A. You are locked into a set tier pricing when you booked.

We have had verandas several times so I would opt for the 8A as I love the layout.

MJ

This is why I'm struggling with hubby's request of a balcony, because we both could sit out there and really enjoy the quietness before the kids wake up and also sit out there and talk in the evenings when they go to sleep. As for the cat 8a I absolutely love the one we booked already as its the open square (no wall between the couch and the bed). At least I have time to decide

This is why I'm struggling with hubby's request of a balcony, because we both could sit out there and really enjoy the quietness before the kids wake up and also sit out there and talk in the evenings when they go to sleep. As for the cat 8a I absolutely love the one we booked already as its the open square (no wall between the couch and the bed). At least I have time to decide
I'll just point out that, in the veranda rooms that have the murphy bed, you have to climb over the bed (when open) to access the verandah.
bed 4A verandah beds open fantasy 2014  23092 P1030567 1500.jpg bed 4A fantasy 2014 murphy 23093 P1030568 1500.jpg

We were in a 4c with 3 kids - ages 5, 8, and 12. I thought there was more than enough space and the verandah was wonderful to sit out on with my husband after the kids were asleep. We learned how to maneuver around the Murphy bed when it was down.
Also, the privacy curtain made us feel like we were in 2 rooms at times!

We were in a 4c with 3 kids - ages 5, 8, and 12. I thought there was more than enough space and the verandah was wonderful to sit out on with my husband after the kids were asleep. We learned how to maneuver around the Murphy bed when it was down.
Also, the privacy curtain made us feel like we were in 2 rooms at times!

which one were you in? I'm looking at 7606 and 7610. I really like the 8A still but now that I was kindly reminded by my husband that he loves to watch tv till he falls asleep, me I cant have the tv or any light flickering from the tv so do these privacy curtains keep the light from the little tv out (volume would be down wayyy low). Unfortunately this room we already booked doesnt have a privacy curtain so we will all be in one big square room with NO privacy.

We were in 7128. It has the Murphy bed. We loved the room so much that we booked it for the next cruise. No noise issues, great location. I know some people feel cramped with 5 people in the room but honestly it worked fine for us. And we are the type of family that needs our space! We got the kids changed and sent them to the kids club so we can get dressed. That helped with space.
My little one had little stamina and needed to get to bed early. So that's why I loved the balcony and the privacy curtain.
But to each his own when it comes to the balcony. I can totally understand why some don't choose it. But I happen to love it.

It might be easier to escape the room and go sit out on deck 4 than to get to the balcony in the mornings or evenings. have the kids call you on the wave phone or text message when they get up. This way you can save some money if that is a concern for you

We were booked in an 8C but knew we would miss having a balcony on a 7 night cruise with the sea days so we upgraded to a 5E with the larger balconies. You have a great room booked but we know from experience that sea days on deck can be very hot and not a lot of shaded seating. As others have pointed out, the murphy bed will drop down in front of your veranda door but it IS possible to squeeze by. Good luck with your decision. We chose a room with the drop down bunk but that's just easier for us. :goodvibes

Plus we would look at the Cat 04C which some of the rooms had a murphy bed instead of the one from the ceiling. I'm really starting to regret the 8a (stateroom 6016) even though I absolutely love the layout of a square room (was verified on pics and on reviews) I know the sea days we would just love to sit out and watch the ocean go by.
I could be mistaken and someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the category 4 (categories 4A-4D) rooms all have a drop down bunk and it's the Murphy bed that's optional? If that is true then you only have 4 people in your family and you can skip the Murphy bed. Still have the extra space (because it's a category 4) but easier to maneuver to the balcony if kids are sleeping. Unless you have a member in your family that prefers the Murphy bed to the bunk.

I am curious as to the deck preferences for staterooms...is a certain level "better" than another???

I have an 8A booked for this summer and specifically asked them to note on our reservation that we do NOT want to be upgraded. I like the square layout better and love the idea of my son being able to sit in the portholes and watch everything go by without having to worry like I would with a verandah. If I want to watch the ocean, I would rather sit on deck.

However, that's just me. Go with your gut, and I am sure you will be happy with whatever you decide.

You don't really have to worry about the prices going up (as much as availability) because when you upgrade you will be upgrading at the price the veranda was the day you booked your Cat 8A. You are locked into a set tier pricing when you booked.

We have had verandas several times so I would opt for the 8A as I love the layout.

MJ

Considering this, I would keep the 8A until you see how you like the verandah on your first cruise. 8As sell out much sooner than verandahs, so you could always hang on to the 8A for now and switch to the verandah later on.

I'm really wondering if I should change our room to a veranda one instead of the dual port window view since its a 7 night on the Fantasy and we will have two sea days. My hubby and I love to just relax with the breeze (if there is even any) and we will have our two kids ages 5 and 16 at time of cruise. WE arent worried about the youngest as she wont be allowed outside without one of us and I have heard the doors do lock way up. Plus we would look at the Cat 04C which some of the rooms had a murphy bed instead of the one from the ceiling. I'm really starting to regret the 8a (stateroom 6016) even though I absolutely love the layout of a square room (was verified on pics and on reviews) I know the sea days we would just love to sit out and watch the ocean go by. I cant compare having a balcony to not because our first cruise isnt till February 2016 in which just DH and I (without kids) have a veranda but I also dont want to wait too long to change rooms for the 2nd cruise in case prices do go up. Any insight as to why or why not from people who have cruised would be appreciated.
Yes yes yes the verandah is 100% worth it.

I have never done a cruise where we didn't have a balcony. I would look at the extended balcony with the 4E on deck 5. Close to the kids areas and an extended balcony. It doesn't the extra room in the stateroom though. But the verandah is priceless, sits 4 easily.

If you can't afford the 4E, I still say any verandah is better than no verandah. By the way, all the balconies have a lock at the top of the door your 5 year old will not be able to reach.

well, as you can see, lots of opinions. i agree with mylittlebuttercup, keep what you have until you experience the veranda then decide.
we have had sailings with and without including one of the cabins with the HUGE verandas. that one had chairs and loungers, very nice. we still mostly book ocean view cabins because, for us, the veranda is a bit of a waste. we really did not use it very much at all. we spent more time on deck. we were usually at breakfast when we hit the ports and since we prefer the outside tables we have a lovely view. not a lot to see at night time so not a lot of use for us then. tons of shaded loungers on deck 4 as well as up by serenity falls. never an issue getting one. the veranda was just some place we sat at for maybe 10 minutes a day and the view looking out is better from an ocean view, imo.
for full discloser i have to say we have never sailed with small children.

I do agree that verandas are not for everyone. However, when you have a family of 4, I would think the extra space to spread out is priceless. Especially on a 7-day cruise.

Last edited:
I have been considering the 8A as well and we have always booked verandas. We do use our Verandas but not often. We use them in the morning, sailing into and out of ports, in the evenings my husband and son hand out on it while i get ready. My husband isn't keen on an oceanview room but he too likes the 8A layout. I will probably book one of these at some point maybe on a winter sailing or when my son gets a little older and we feel needs his "own" area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter