Would you be proud of your son or daughter if they Joined the Army?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishyCat25

Mouseketeer
Ok I am wearing my Flame suit Proudly !!!!!! The commercials I see on tv mostly for the Army you know the ones ( Mom, Dad can we talk......... or the Next time your asked if you have any leadership experience........) make me sick. The only thing there doing is brainwashing kids to go give there lives in a meaningless war. I wouldn't let any child of my join anything thats going to cause them harm.........With all do respect the army is one of these places. I am work with a co-worker of my who every time she hears the word "draft" she freaks out thinking its finally going happen and they will take her only son. Honestly if there was a draft wether I have a son or not "Canada here I come". If you fought for this country and your a veteran "Thank you" I honestly mean that. However I personally wouldn't fight (unless is against aliens like in "War of the Worlds") and I wouldn't want any child of my giving there life away like that. I don't want to change this into a "Is the war in Iraq meaningless" topic but since its the only current war Is the war I will speak of. Thousands on innocent sons, daughters, husbands and wife's have died for no reason (and no freedom isn't a reason). I blame it on the brainwashing from our government that teaches Kids that if you Join the Army,Marines,Navy and whatever else there is "You'll be a better person". I blame it on how these institutions can start recruiting kids while still in High School. If my son or daughther want to be a heroe there lots of institutions that they can be a part of which more then likely will consider them Heroes. There is no need to go commit suicide half accross the world in the name of America.......Call me un patriotic I dont care.......... I am just saying I wouldnt want or condone any child of mine or myself to go join the Army. I am sure I am not the only one to feel this way ...........

Yes, I would be extremely proud of them. It would be very scary to me, but I would be proud.

War or not, we need our military to protect our country (and to protect others abroad). Our military does far more than 'kill people', even in times of war.

I disagree with your POV, you have the right to it.

Yes, I would be proud, worried but proud.

You said you wouldn't let your child join anything that causes them harm. But, that isn't a choice you get to make. That is your child's choice and one they have to make for themselves.

Thanks but I belive is a choice our goverment makes for them. Just turn on the TV or go to any College Campus. Youlll see all the advertising for the Army. To think they were signing people up for a extended Beaches Resort stay in Jamaica by the look of the advertisement. Why not make an Ad like the Master Card ones.......

2,456 people killed by enemy fire

3,256 people blown up my enemy bombs

1,233 people turntured and be headed by the enemy

Your price in Joining the Army.......Your Life

No. I would be scared spitless, and would probably start mourning in advance.

And my FIL would be turning over in his grave, if he had one (cremated, ashes at sea). His own father joined the Canadian military to go to Europe to help the desperate countries over there before American deigned to join in (and then call it WW 1). My FIL tried to join the Navy at 15, was found out, and joined up at 17 to be part of WW 2. He was then part of the Korean War, skipped out on Vietnam b/c he was doing other things in shipping (though he was ASKED to rejoin), then did support for the Gulf War (those big grey ships anchored off San Francisco were under HIS command (though he wasn't the captain, he was just in charge) until he retired a couple years ago) and THIS "war" too.

And he had become a supreme pacifist from all his time in and around wars and police actions. The concept made him sick. He was very glad that none of his children had followed in his footsteps, b/c he didn't believe in it anymore.

My own mother joined the Bah'ai religion so that it would be on record that we were pacifists, just in case something happened and my brother was affected. And then the stinker did Air Force ROTC at Duke. It was REALLY hard for my mom, even though he worked his way up in officer-world to where he really wouldnt' have been sent anywhere scarier than the U.S. He finally left because HE couldn't stand it anymore.

But no, other than simply being proud of DS for doing a good job in anything he chooses, I wouldn't be proud of that particular choice.

If my child wants to join the military then that is their choice and although it is not necessarily what I might want for them it is ultimately their life and their decision. I will not hold it against them and I will be one of the loudest ones cheering for them. My child will have the opportunity to reach for the stars that she wants to reach for with my and my DH's full support.

I'll admit it wouldn't be my first choice of a profession. But, that's because I would be selfish and worry so much about them. If they felt it was their calling in life, I would support them in that choice and be proud to tell people what they do.

Yes, I would be proud. Scared and worried, absolutely. But so proud. That would be THEIR decision and I would be proud that they were choosing to do what so many don't want to. That takes a lot of courage. And as a previous poster said, the military does a lot more than fight wars. Yes, there is one going on right now and will be for some time I'm sure. But even without a war, the military is an incredibly important part of our country.

Just a quick question for the pacifists:

Exactly how can we protect our country if we do not have any military at all? Or is the military fine for other people, ie you want the protection it provides...but don't want to be involved in any way?

I would be proud if they joined ANY branch of the military. Concerned, but darn proud!

No, I would not be proud of that decision.
However, I will always be proud of my son.
Thankfully, I would say the odds of him joining the military after growing up in our home are virtually a million to one, so I don't think I'll have to worry about this particular issue!:rotfl:

If I respond to your last comment then I truly be flamed here Pooh. Though let me just say I dont condone ANYONE going to another country to get Killed. This includes my family as well as yours.

Just a quick question for the pacifists:

Exactly how can we protect our country if we do not have any military at all? Or is the military fine for other people, ie you want the protection it provides...but don't want to be involved in any way?

That's the vibe I seem to be getting.

I wouldn't let any child of my join anything thats going to cause them harm.........

Luckily it isn't your choice but theirs. As an adult they choose their career not you.

I would be immensely proud of any of my children if they joined any of the branches of the service. In fact we have encourage both of them to investigate the wonderful opportunities for them in the military. I sincerely hope one of them attends one the Military academies.

Well, my grandson is a United States Marine Corporal and will deply to Iraq in the very near future. I am very, very proud of him even though I do worry a bit. When I asked him how he felt about it he simply told me it was his job.

He has a better chance of survival in a war than he does at home where he has more of a chance getting killed or hurt in a car accident with friends.

He could have chosen not to go into the military and that would be okay with me, but I would be ashamed if he chose to run away like a coward. Perhaps Canada doesn't mind cowards. You can cry all you want about what you think is an unjust war, but a coward is a coward just the same.

Oh, yes... I'm a Vietnam veteran.

If I respond to your last comment then I truly be flamed here Pooh. Though let me just say I dont condone ANYONE going to another country to get Killed. This includes my family as well as yours.

So what exactly do you think should have been done after 9/11? And this is not referring to the Iraq war which I am not a supporter of. I'm talking about Afghanistan and the action taken there. Should we have just left it alone and not done anything? Just said "oh well" and gone on our merry way without any sort of consequences for those who did it? Just curious.

That's the vibe I seem to be getting.

I am not a true pacifist, but I don't believe in the way our government or military currently operates, so no, I don't think ANYONE should participate in the way it's run now. That's JMO, and I don't have control over anyone else, obviously... My point is that I don't want YOUR sons or daughters blown up, either. It has nothing to do with me thinking my kid is worth more than yours. I do not for one minute think we are fighting this war to protect our freedom. Sorry.

Absolutely proud! I too would be one of the loudest cheering moms! :banana:

BUT ...

I would be proud of anything a child of mine did that was upstanding and legal, whether it be join the service, be a janitor, run for President of the USA, be a disc jockey, a movie star, a teacher, a lawyer, a CEO, flipped burgers at McDonald's, whatever, I'd be one of the loudest cheering moms! :banana:

I would be scarred spitless too if they joined the military. :scared1:

And we would probably argue about things like Iraq, knowing that I loved him/her but hated the politics and politicians that took him/her/us into the war. :hippie:

I don't watch much TV, so I haven't seen those commercials, but they would probably make me sick too ... they would remind me of the campaigns of the 60's and 70's during Vietnam. :eek: :crazy2: :guilty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter