would this be allowed/rude/weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even read through the first page due to nasty comments. People are so judgmental and nasty.
No one knows some one else's situation. Maybe she did not want to fully disclose why her child is picky. She just wanted to know if she could take food in. You never know if someone has OCD or some aversion to textures. How cruel!

I would say it is Disney! Do what makes you happy! They are not going to tell you that you can't take it in, but if it hot food, it may not be hot when you get there.

Please enjoy your experience and I am sorry some people have to be high and mighty to feel validated.

I've resisted chiming in here for a while. I'm wondering if you child could pick or eat something after or before? I know you wanna eat as a family, but I'm not sure how well this would work. When in doubt, call Disney and ask, I guess. You'd be surprised, they just may take note and make an exception when you visit.

Not gonna lie, I found this question ridiculous when I first read it. Then I visited my cousin this weekend. She's a mom to a soon-to-be 3 year old and 1 year old. She and her husband are good parents. They buy their kids what they want, they teach them right from wrong and they feed, clothe and bathe their kids. They're not parents of the year, but who is (apparently many people on the Dis are.) My cousin's 1yo eats everything and anything. The little chubs loves her food. Her little 3yo won't eat. She has to be bribed and SOMETIMES eats chips, pizza and chicken fingers.

I was over there and always cook. I guess they were talking about my cooking before I got there, because my little cousin (the 3yo) tugs on my shirt and says "can you make me pancakes, eggs and bacon?" I laughed but she looked at me with her big blue eyes and said "please?" I got the blessing and made her food. She ate 3 pancakes, 2 pieces of bacon and 1 scrambled egg. My cousin was in tears she was so happy that her daughter ate, let alone REQUESTED to eat.

Let's all bear in mind that while everyone's parenting may be different and we all may hold these simple solutions, it's not exactly easy on the parent. Having a difficult eater or a child who won't eat is NEVER easy on a parent. Not because they're stuck making tons of different foods, but because you're taught as a nurturer that it's your job to feed your cub. Having a child that can't use chopsticks or doesn't eat duck confit at 10 years old doesn't mean OP is a bad parent. Everyone is different.

Ok, I absolutely will let you park at my house & bring you to the airport myself!!! Well said.

Just to make a point, my posts in this thread reflect my conservative parenting style which is not everyone's up of tea but I don't remember calling anyone any unpleasant, judgy names.
Thats not the same as an otherwise healthy child or adult whose tastes are so narrow they can't eat in a perfectly ordinary restaurant.

Pick one. Also, I don't remember calling anyone any upleasant, judgy names either. So here we are :)

OP - There was a time a party member of ours went to BoG and asked for a chicken strip meal and were VERY graciously accommodated. Not saying they would do this again or to even expect it at all, but you may be able to ask for something that may be more agreeable to your child. If nothing else, they could grab some finger foods from a QS and eat it on the go? Wouldn't be the first time I saw people walking the park and eating at the same time.

Yes he will eat a ham sandwich as in like a plain subway ham sandwich. Probably not a croque monsieur. Grilled cheese would be fine but I didn't think he could order off kids menu and he might still be hungry. If he went somewhere else we would probably get pizza, hamburger, chicken, ribs, bbq. As I said he isn't really overly picky it is just the specific type of food they have there doesn't sound appealing to him....

Op, I would actually order him 2 kid grilled cheeses and sub in the cookies for the sides (since you said he doesn't like fries and I didn't see if you said he'd like the other possible sides - peach applesauce, green beans, or seasonal veg) - you could get the 2nd drink as a bottled water to go (so he'd have 2 grilled cheese, 2 cookies, and a drink for about $17...which is about what he'd pay for adult meals). He eats and is happy, you are happy he eats, and you don't have to waste time in 2 restaurants.

You could also ask what the charge would be to add on a 2nd sandwich without the sides and drink if you wanted to save a few bucks...

People act like BoG is owned by Joe Smith and Pinocchios is owned by Mike Brown and it is super rude if you take food from an establishment not owned by Joe Smith into Joe Smith's restaurant. Guess what? Disney owns it all. I am not sure they care if you spend $10 on an overpriced flatbread at Pinocchio or $15 on an overpriced turkey sandwich at BoG. I mean, it's not like she is making the ADR and opening up a picnic basket for her family on a highly coveted BoG table. She is making a reservation because the rest of her family wants to eat there and she wants to bring in something else, also purchased from Disney, that her child will enjoy. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. You are not stealing profit from a restaurant by bringing in outside food... it's all Disney purchased food and the majority of the food will be ordered at that establishment.

Get a grip. I'm going to go tear my kid away from the tv, tablet and 3DS (yes he is a multitasker) and give him second dessert before we sit down and watch Deadpool before his 11pm school night bedtime. He's 8. Am I a bad parent?

I have not read all the comments, so not sure if this has been suggested or not... For my picky eater, as long as she has a decent breakfast and dinner, I would just take in a piece of fruit for her to eat and then just let her have dessert for lunch. its vacation, and she will be hungry again in two hours anyway, so can go for a healthier snack then. Besides, what kid doesn't need to have dessert for a meal on vacation. Great memories for later.

Quite the opposite actually. I listed things like bedtimes and summer learning that are usually considered to be bad parenting here on the boards. My intention was to demonstrate that I'm the bad, nazi mom, not you since that's usually the concensus. Funny that it was interpreted as 'bragging' when it was really a tongue in cheek admission of guilt.
On the boards everyone is entitled to their opinion ... until their opinion is unpopular.
How on earth did you manage to Godwin a thread about QS lunch at Disney? I'm impressed (by which I mean I'm not).

Even if 3 of the 4 people in the party are eating there? Makes no sense to me, what is the difference between if we know beforehand that 3 of 4 of us will eat there or if one of us just happens to not be hungry? But I guess its your opinion.

Why did you create the thread and ask a question then? I didn't question your parenting, I said that I would never bring outside food into a restaurant. Not exactly sure why you are criticizing everything I write now, you were the one who asked in the OP. Like I said before, I don't believe in bringing outside food into a restaurant that takes reservations. You think it's fine, cool, we have different opinions so not sure what the purpose of this whole thing was.

Bringing a meal from elsewhere into a TS restaurant is just not something we would do. Wouldn't be comfortable doing it, and to us, it's important to have the kids each stretch and try new things. Just a personal decision about how we parent -- no judgment! :)

That said, we have had things come up on Disney trips where someone is just SO HUNGRY prior to a TS ADR that they eat a little something (particularly my Mom who was diabetic and just needed to sometimes). So when we sit down at the TS ADR, they just aren't that hungry. In that event, they've ordered an appetizer or dessert. This is a rare occurrence, but it certainly isn't a problem or weird or crazy from the perspective of the restaurant, or anything.

I say do Disney the way YOU want to do Disney on this one, and have an awesome time!! :)

Get a grip. I'm going to go tear my kid away from the tv, tablet and 3DS (yes he is a multitasker) and give him second dessert before we sit down and watch Deadpool before his 11pm school night bedtime. He's 8. Am I a bad parent?
I don't know... do you let him watch Walking Dead, too?!?! :scared1:

:rotfl:

Why did you create the thread and ask a question then? I didn't question your parenting, I said that I would never bring outside food into a restaurant. Not exactly sure why you are criticizing everything I write now, you were the one who asked in the OP. Like I said before, I don't believe in bringing outside food into a restaurant that takes reservations. You think it's fine, cool, we have different opinions so not sure what the purpose of this whole thing was.
Well I think the original thread was asked and answered.

Is it allowed? resounding YES.

Is it rude? people have mixed opinions but I think this is a resounding NO. It may bug people here on the internet but it really has no reason to because it does not affect any other diner in any way. If the question was "is flicking my boogers at the table next to me rude?" it would be "yes." Feeding your kid something from another disney establishment when the rest of the family is eating at that establishment? no. not rude, and even though it bugs people, and even though some people would NEVER do it, that does not necessarily make it rude. If she was planning to bring in a picnic lunch and not buy anything but still take up a table? rude. Buying 3 out of 4 entrees there and bringing in food from another disney establishment is no more rude than making her son sit there and not eat anything at all. Same amount spent at BoG, same number of people sitting at the table. I'm guessing Disney, if asked, would prefer the extra $10 for the flatbread or whatever she brings in.

Is it weird? I think that's where the thread went haywire. But maybe the OP has decided since posting that she doesn't care if some people think it is weird, as long as it is allowed and not rude she is good with it. Opinions are like... um... noses. yeah. Everyone has them. I'm sure lots of people think stuff I do is weird. As long as it is not also rude, it is kind of their problem and not mine!

I guess I was kind of thrown off when you went as far as to say I shouldn't be allowed to have a reservation there at all, I just felt that was kind of over the top. You made it sound like if by me letting my son bring in food to a quick service place where 3 of the 4 of us would be eating anyways, that was the same as you going to sci fi with a pizza you ordered and sitting there just for the ambiance without ordering anything if I recall correctly. So you didn't just say you personally wouldn't take outside food into a place that requires reservations, you said a bit more than that.

Yes he will eat a ham sandwich as in like a plain subway ham sandwich. Probably not a croque monsieur. Grilled cheese would be fine but I didn't think he could order off kids menu and he might still be hungry. If he went somewhere else we would probably get pizza, hamburger, chicken, ribs, bbq. As I said he isn't really overly picky it is just the specific type of food they have there doesn't sound appealing to him....
I was a picky eater when I was the same age as your son. At Disney, I was often able to get an adult-sized portion of a kids meal, no problem. It was usually always made for me at TS Restuarants, but it might be worth asking. Just a suggestion. Hope your family enjoys your trip. You'll love BOG. It's one of my favorites :)

People act like BoG is owned by Joe Smith and Pinocchios is owned by Mike Brown and it is super rude if you take food from an establishment not owned by Joe Smith into Joe Smith's restaurant. Guess what? Disney owns it all. I am not sure they care if you spend $10 on an overpriced flatbread at Pinocchio or $15 on an overpriced turkey sandwich at BoG. I mean, it's not like she is making the ADR and opening up a picnic basket for her family on a highly coveted BoG table. She is making a reservation because the rest of her family wants to eat there and she wants to bring in something else, also purchased from Disney, that her child will enjoy. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. You are not stealing profit from a restaurant by bringing in outside food... it's all Disney purchased food and the majority of the food will be ordered at that establishment.

I agree it is not a huge deal, but I don't buy the Well, they are all Disney eateries argument. No more than I would buy one of those gift cards that covers 5 different restaurants at home, and take food from one of them into another one of them to eat with the family.

Would I bring other food into BoG? No. I would feel odd about doing so. Do I care if someone else does? No. But as I stated before I would worry about how appetizing that outside food will be by the time the rest of the family orders and gets their food. Timing will be a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter