would this be allowed/rude/weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people are so nasty! Everyone raises their kids in their own way and as long as their child isn't running around crazy and disturbing others, it's no one else's business.

OP - it's a quick service. Have your son get what he wants and bring it in. No big deal. Table service would be a different story. Now, should I offer you some parenting advice and tell you that you are raising your kids incorrectly?:rotfl:

I didn't read all the responses but I wanted to say that I have done exactly this for my very picky 14 year old eater! The food at wdw is so pricey I agree with those who say I'm not going to pay $$$ money for food my kid will not eat! It's vacation, everyone should be enjoying themselves:)

Also at least at Pinocchio's they did have take out containors for food so not a problem! I got Mac and cheese kids meal and they packed it all up to go and it was very easy to carry.

Have fun and enjoy yourself!!

So...my whole family wants to experience BOG, I did the work to stalk the reservations to get us one not to mention the money I will be spending to go to Disney period, 3 of the 4 of us will be paying and ordering from there...but I shouldn't make a reservation there because I am taking up 1 extra seat by someone who doesn't want to actually eat there but still wants to experience it with us? should I just ban my son from the meal because he doesn't like their food, sorry son you cant come with us to this one guess you can go sit on a bench outside and wait... Seriously?

I took this as an opinion thread and that is my opinion. If your child isn't hungry and doesn't eat that's one thing, but knowing what the menu is and going there anyways with outside food because you want to enjoy the ambiance is where I draw the line personally. Other people may not care, cool, but that's something I wouldn't do. I view it as a restaurant that takes reservations, whether the food is quick or not is irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
I took this as an opinion thread and that is my opinion. If your child isn't hungry and doesn't eat that's one thing, but knowing what the menu is and going there anyways with outside food because you want to enjoy the ambiance is where I draw the line personally. Other people may not care, cool, but that's something I wouldn't do. I view it as a restaurant that takes reservations, whether the food is quick or not is irrelevant to me.

In a hometown restaurant or a Disney "signature" restaurant like Citricos or Jiko I wouldn't allow my nieces to do it, but in a theme park restaurant that's a zoo anyway I don't see the fuss. Besides, the original poster has already noted that her child has special needs.

OP - I feel you! My daughter is the same and we are in the same boat. She would likely only eat the fries at BOG for lunch. So that is what we will do and I plan to bring some snacks in our bag if she needs more (my daughter likes fresh veggies and fruit and is vegetarian and won't eat soup). She also would like to eat at BOG so our options are breakfast (Where the prices are crazy) or a lunch that both my husband and I will enjoy. Ignore the haters, no one knows your child like you do.

Man, I don't know why so many people are jumping down your throat because you want your son to enjoy his meals on vacation. Who cares if he's a picky eater and it's no one else's concern why her son just can't eat a ham sandwich and be happy. Geez. Anyway, if it were me, I'd probably let him grab whatever he wanted beforehand and then get him dessert or something at BOG so he can experience it with the rest of you.

Disney dining parenting confession: I let my toddler eat mac and cheese at Disney all. the. time. :duck:

He will pick at other things, but will devour mac and cheese, so for the price, I'd rather have him full and happy at Disney than hungry.

Oh, and he just turned two, speaks in complete sentences using correct grammar, and is always happy to tell you every single animal you will see on the Jungle Cruise. And he can also spell "Mickey Mouse" and sings "It's a Small World" while waiting in line for the ride. (And he's healthy as can be, according to his pediatrician.)

The fact that some people try to correlate what your child eats (or what your child is allowed to eat) at Disney with overall parenting abilities and how your child will be in the future is a little crazy.

OP, I just want to say that you are being a great parent by doing the research ahead of time to try to make your vacation the best possible for everyone in your family. Have a great trip and enjoy BOG!

I cannot understand how plans for your DD's summer learning and weekly technology usage is even remotely related to OP's DS's food preferences, or how OP deals with them. It just sounds like you are using this opportunity to brag about what a good parent you feel you are. If you can't see how unpleasant that is, and hurtful in implying that OP may not be an equally good parent without knowing anything else about her (because she did not feel the need to give a detailed list of her parenting policies on a theme park tips board), then I question your reading comprehension and analytical thinking skills.

Sorry, OP. I may fan the flames but I'm sick of mean people ruining the experience of interacting on these boards. I like to offer advice on how to stay on topic and be nice to strangers whether it's asked for or not.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Well said. i couldn't agree more.

I don't think that 1 of you bringing in food is rude at all. The rest of your family will order food from BOG. Now, if people bring in their outside of the park food and take up a table at a cs place without purchasing something there then that's rude. But, that's not what you're saying so do what's best for you and have a great vacation!

I think it's funny when people think parenting has much to do with what their kids will eat.

I'm the oldest of 5. Two of us from one mom. The other three have a different mom. I was the peacekeeper in the family (thought everything was my fault if there was strife, and given that there was violence from my dad against my mom I had a hard time) and when I realized my brother was incredibly picky I became UNpicky. I would eat anything on my plate just to make everyone happy. I once ate my brother's food bc he wouldn't and I was tired of being at the table. None of this was expected of me. It just happened because of my firstborn, child of alcoholic, personality. My brother would literally not eat if the food wasn't right. He went all school day without food because our lunches were switched one day.

The first two half-brothers were exactly like my full brother. Mealtimes for me were horrid. No one seemed to care that I wasn't a part of this. The evening couldn't continue until dinner was finished. There was a lot of yelling. And crying from the first half brother who is sensitive like me. The other brothers were stoic always.

By the time my sister came along dad and stepmom didn't even try.

Full brother NOW will eat a lot and pretends like he was never picky. But he still avoids certain foods; pretends he doesn't like oranges for instance, when actually he sneezes if he smells one. Almost like he's allergic. I'm only in contact with one of the other boys now, but his diet is "fried food". My sister eats more and is very healthy and active.

I'm the one with all the allergies. Food and otherwise.

I think my brothers were protecting themselves from food that wasn't right because they are healthy. And they instinctively avoided the foods their bodies shouldn't eat. Whereas I ate everything and now can't eat a lot of what I forced down decades ago.

That's my thought process.

And ever since I was pregnant with ds I discovered true food aversions, and I know very well how the wrong food can destroy a day. I have cried (when pregnant) over food that smells or even looks wrong (still can't eat cheese that has congealed), I pick apart food so I can deal with it, and so on. This isn't what I did as a child, but it's what I do now. I now feel for my sibs, who were tormented by parents insisting they eat food that was fundamentally wrong for them. I now know how hard it was for them. At least I'm an adult and no one forces me to do otherwise now.

And this is why I almost never had a problem making different food at home when DS was little and going through phases, why now we often have "make your own dinner" nights when we are each on different pages food wise (we still eat together), and why we like for everyone to be happy with their food when we are on vacation!!!

I think it's funny when people think parenting has much to do with what their kids will eat.

I'm the oldest of 5. Two of us from one mom. The other three have a different mom. I was the peacekeeper in the family (thought everything was my fault if there was strife, and given that there was violence from my dad against my mom I had a hard time) and when I realized my brother was incredibly picky I became UNpicky. I would eat anything on my plate just to make everyone happy. I once ate my brother's food bc he wouldn't and I was tired of being at the table. None of this was expected of me. It just happened because of my firstborn, child of alcoholic, personality. My brother would literally not eat if the food wasn't right. He went all school day without food because our lunches were switched one day.

The first two half-brothers were exactly like my full brother. Mealtimes for me were horrid. No one seemed to care that I wasn't a part of this. The evening couldn't continue until dinner was finished. There was a lot of yelling. And crying from the first half brother who is sensitive like me. The other brothers were stoic always.

By the time my sister came along dad and stepmom didn't even try.

Full brother NOW will eat a lot and pretends like he was never picky. But he still avoids certain foods; pretends he doesn't like oranges for instance, when actually he sneezes if he smells one. Almost like he's allergic. I'm only in contact with one of the other boys now, but his diet is "fried food". My sister eats more and is very healthy and active.

I'm the one with all the allergies. Food and otherwise.

I think my brothers were protecting themselves from food that wasn't right because they are healthy. And they instinctively avoided the foods their bodies shouldn't eat. Whereas I ate everything and now can't eat a lot of what I forced down decades ago.

That's my thought process.

And ever since I was pregnant with ds I discovered true food aversions, and I know very well how the wrong food can destroy a day. I have cried (when pregnant) over food that smells or even looks wrong (still can't eat cheese that has congealed), I pick apart food so I can deal with it, and so on. This isn't what I did as a child, but it's what I do now. I now feel for my sibs, who were tormented by parents insisting they eat food that was fundamentally wrong for them. I now know how hard it was for them. At least I'm an adult and no one forces me to do otherwise now.

And this is why I almost never had a problem making different food at home when DS was little and going through phases, why now we often have "make your own dinner" nights when we are each on different pages food wise (we still eat together), and why we like for everyone to be happy with their food when we are on vacation!!!

I'd just like to suggest that terms used at BOG like Croque Monsier can really throw a selective eater. You suggest a few pages ago that he likes Subway ham sandwiches. This is really no different, just sounds fancier! But ordering one and then finding out its not Subway is a waste. If you want to try, you could probably find a picture of the sandwiches to show him (don't tell him what thy're called!!). Maybe he'll see something that looks acceptable to him. If not, feed the poor child whatever he will eat. I agree that a Disney vacation isn't the place for pushing this particular issue.

PS I am Grammy to those 3 darling boys in my avatar. When no one is looking, we eat ice cream for dinner!!!!

Obviously I'm in the minority, but I really don't care what my kids eat on vacation. Ok, so I don't want them making poor choices for every single meal, but as long as they throw in some apples or carrots or something, I don't care if they have chicken nuggets at every meal. It's what makes them happy. And I would absolutely bring those nuggets into BOG if that's what it took to make a kid happy on VACATION. At home, my kids know they either eat what I make or make their own. But on vacation? Eh. It's a glorified fast food restaurant, owned by the same company as every single other fast food restaurant on property. It's not weird or rude, in my opinion. OP, I hope you ALL have a magical vacation :)

No need to apologize I felt the same way. Not sure if that post was intended to make me feel like an inferior parent based on this 1 little thing I posted about but it did come off that way.

Quite the opposite actually. I listed things like bedtimes and summer learning that are usually considered to be bad parenting here on the boards. My intention was to demonstrate that I'm the bad, nazi mom, not you since that's usually the concensus. Funny that it was interpreted as 'bragging' when it was really a tongue in cheek admission of guilt.
On the boards everyone is entitled to their opinion ... until their opinion is unpopular.

Even if 3 of the 4 people in the party are eating there? Makes no sense to me, what is the difference between if we know beforehand that 3 of 4 of us will eat there or if one of us just happens to not be hungry? But I guess its your opinion.

That's a great question! I don't think it's weird at all. Remember (and I post this often), Disney cast members are not allowed to ask you about things such as your child's age, if you are sharing a meal, if you bring something in from another restaurant. Any of these things are grounds for termination (related to an Imagineer - that's my source lol). Anyhow, just do what works best for you. He can either try something if it looks good like if a neighboring table has something he can see with his eyes or order from the kids menu or he can hold tight and grab something after instead of eating something that is a quick service while you probably won't even have your food yet. That's what I would do. And there won't be anyone who says a single word to you!! I guarantee it!

Quite the opposite actually. I listed things like bedtimes and summer learning that are usually considered to be bad parenting here on the boards. My intention was to demonstrate that I'm the bad, nazi mom, not you since that's usually the concensus. Funny that it was interpreted as 'bragging' when it was really a tongue in cheek admission of guilt.
On the boards everyone is entitled to their opinion ... until their opinion is unpopular.
Let me get this straight.....you criticized her opinion on options, but when others criticized your opinion suddenly that's not an ok thing to do. Only I should be able to cite my opinion with no recourse or speculation. Got it

(PS - I also work in a similar line of work as you. Overly controlling parents are the worst ones to deal and communicate effectively with, FYI.)

Let me get this straight.....you criticized her opinion on options, but when others criticized your opinion suddenly that's not an ok thing to do. Only I should be able to cite my opinion with no recourse or speculation. Got it

(PS - I also work in a similar line of work as you. Overly controlling parents are the worst ones to deal and communicate effectively with, FYI.)

I wasn't criticizing their criticism. I was correcting their misinterpretation of my statements. Much as I find myself doing again here.

Just to make a point, my posts in this thread reflect my conservative parenting style which is not everyone's up of tea but I don't remember calling anyone any unpleasant, judgy names. I've been called overly controlling, mean, sanctimonious and had my reading comprehension and analytical thinking skills questioned. Just sayin'.

I've resisted chiming in here for a while. I'm wondering if you child could pick or eat something after or before? I know you wanna eat as a family, but I'm not sure how well this would work. When in doubt, call Disney and ask, I guess. You'd be surprised, they just may take note and make an exception when you visit.

Not gonna lie, I found this question ridiculous when I first read it. Then I visited my cousin this weekend. She's a mom to a soon-to-be 3 year old and 1 year old. She and her husband are good parents. They buy their kids what they want, they teach them right from wrong and they feed, clothe and bathe their kids. They're not parents of the year, but who is (apparently many people on the Dis are.) My cousin's 1yo eats everything and anything. The little chubs loves her food. Her little 3yo won't eat. She has to be bribed and SOMETIMES eats chips, pizza and chicken fingers.

I was over there and always cook. I guess they were talking about my cooking before I got there, because my little cousin (the 3yo) tugs on my shirt and says "can you make me pancakes, eggs and bacon?" I laughed but she looked at me with her big blue eyes and said "please?" I got the blessing and made her food. She ate 3 pancakes, 2 pieces of bacon and 1 scrambled egg. My cousin was in tears she was so happy that her daughter ate, let alone REQUESTED to eat.

Let's all bear in mind that while everyone's parenting may be different and we all may hold these simple solutions, it's not exactly easy on the parent. Having a difficult eater or a child who won't eat is NEVER easy on a parent. Not because they're stuck making tons of different foods, but because you're taught as a nurturer that it's your job to feed your cub. Having a child that can't use chopsticks or doesn't eat duck confit at 10 years old doesn't mean OP is a bad parent. Everyone is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter