Would a crackdown on point renting help availability?

I feel very fortunate to have two nights at AKV for 11/6 and 11/7 as we leave on RCC cruise Sunday. We do not get to FL often so this was a perfect opportunity to at least visit one of our two DVC resorts. We have rented our points when we did not use them and it only covers a fraction of the original cost and lets face it and barely the yearly dues. I do have a problem with the Commercial Renting/Brokering of points and using the DVC room accommodations by Disney and the Commercial Renters/Brokers. We do after all pay dues for the upkeep of our properties and is this fair if Disney is using our rentals for Commercial purposes. I think this demand made this reservation very difficult for me to get even 4 or 5 months out. I never expected so much trouble for a weekend trip. I had one night in two different resorts and then finally I was able to scoop up a cancelation by checking 5 or 6 times a day constantly. Believe me it would have been so much easier to stay near Cape Canaveral and shuttle over on Sunday! Back in the day when we purchased Boardwalk it was presented to us as a Family Vacation opportunity. We purchased it to afford our children, grandchildren and other family the joy of spending time at Disney! I do not think it is easy for most families to plan 11 months out most of the time and I am a little disappointed this is what we are going to expect in the future to use our points.

Last edited:
I feel very fortunate to have two nights at AKV for 9/6 and 9/7 as we leave on RCC cruise Sunday. We do not get to FL often so this was a perfect opportunity to at least visit one of our two DVC resorts. We have rented our points when we did not use them and it only covers a fraction of the original cost and lets face it and barely the yearly dues. I do have a problem with the Commercial Renting/Brokering of points and using the DVC room accommodations by Disney and the Commercial Renters/Brokers. We do after all pay dues for the upkeep of our properties and is this fair if Disney is using our rentals for Commercial purposes. I think this demand made this reservation very difficult for me to get even 4 or 5 months out. I never expected so much trouble for a weekend trip. I had one night in two different resorts and then finally I was able to scoop up a cancelation by checking 5 or 6 times a day constantly. Believe me it would have been so much easier to stay near Cape Canaveral and shuttle over on Sunday! Back in the day when we purchased Boardwalk it was presented to us as a Family Vacation opportunity. We purchased it to afford our children, grandchildren and other family the joy of spending time at Disney! I do not think it is easy for most families to plan 11 months out most of the time and I am a little disappointed this is what we are going to expect in the future to use our points.
9/6 and 9/7 are the past Labor Day weekend. Are those dates correct?

Many DVC owners run in the marathon. I have run a few times now. The parks are also not that crowded. Went to Epcot the day of the marathon this year and was not bad at all other than trying to get around the runners.

I think more renting occurs because DVC points and dues are too expensive.

The greater expenses drive more owners to rent their points vs letting them expire.

DVC sales opened with OKW @$48/ point and dues were $2.5/point
A 250 point contract only cost $12000 and annual dues were $625

Now, that 250 point contract (at $170/point) can cost $42,500 with $6 annual dues >$1500/yr. people paying those prices can't afford to let points expire.

I think more renting occurs because DVC points and dues are too expensive.

The greater expenses drive more owners to rent their points vs letting them expire.

DVC sales opened with OKW @$48/ point and dues were $2.5/point
A 250 point contract only cost $12000 and annual dues were $625

Now, that 250 point contract (at $170/point) can cost $42,500 with $6 annual dues >$1500/yr. people paying those prices can't afford to let points expire.

Actually - renting occurs because the price a renter pays is far less than what WDW charges :). Were this not the case? No one would rent :).

I've heard the arguments for why this "must" be so... and in fact? It does not affect ME in the least... We have a fixed number of points. if the fixed number changes in violation of the contract? I sue. Hasn't happened. Really don't expect it to.

Beyond that? Not much to say. WDW may certainly chose to allow the rental of anything they like - it's their company :). I just hate to see a company engaged in a process that breaks their own corporation :(. I'm greedy - I would like to see them hang around for the next 20 years :).

We have a fixed number of points. if the fixed number changes in violation of the contract? I sue. Hasn't happened. Really don't expect it to.
But what you can "buy" with those points can change quite a bit. The key part of your post is "in violation of the contract". Realistically one could easily lose a night per week if targeting lower seasons or less than a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter