• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would a 7 yo need a stroller for MK, Seaworld or Legoland?

It is a very personal decisions but outside of any medical condition that would dictate needing a stroller I would lean towards no. A 7 year old should be able to make it all day with a few rests here and there.

Think about how you would feel pushing your 7 year old all over the parks for how ever long your vacation is. The parks are deceptively hilly.

Carrying a 7 year old is a miserable thing so when my 2 were that age I went with renting a double & them trading off resting in it, to tell the truth it was nice to have a place to put all my stuff instead of a locker anyway. Little feet and tears > disappointment

Bringing my own from home was way too annoying- folding it and dragging it on & off the bus was too much

For our almost 7yo who will still nap a bit on weekends and seems to require more sleep than her younger sisters, we will likely rent in the park if she is tired and needs one.

The past two years, we rented one for her but she's just getting too tall for strollers.

If after a day or two she keeps needing one, I will call one of the off site stroller delivery companies and see if I can get one delivered to our resort.

All else equal, is prefer to have one for her. But, we already have to lug around a double for her twin sisters. And the 7yo will not fit on one side of even the biggest double strollers. Two strollers is a massive pain!

Our 6 year old did great without one last year. With that said we do not stay the whole day. I would focus on making sure he has comfy shoes. For my boys those are crocs worn with thin cotton socks.

I would play it by ear and if you find you need one rent it as you go. At 7 your child will probably not want a stroller all day every day, but if you find that Epcot is just a long day, you may find that day it would be worth the cost.

My DGD used one until she was 6. She actually had a lot of energy, but she was that kid who at times needed to decompress. My DD rented one for Epcot and when DGD got a little overwhelmed she relaxed inside away from all of the activity and stimuli going on around her.

We had one when youngest DD was 5. She will be 6 this time around and we will not be taking one. We will just walk slower if she needs it and take rests. I am actually excited about not having to deal with the stroller this time around.

Unfortunately there is no cut and dried answer to this. My DS used a stroller in WDW until he was about 6 and then he wanted to give it a try on his own and he hasn't used one since. Some kids (and families!), can really benefit from the stroller even with older children. It gives the kids a place to relax in a potentially overstimulating environment, allows families to go from A to B a little more quickly if your child is tiring out, it could even extend your park time if it enables your child to rest a little more (especially in a big park like EP or AK). It's such a personal decision. I never minded pushing DS around even when he was older - always felt like I was burning off some of those extra WDW calories!

It really depends on your kid. My 7 year old would have to be exhausted to be seen in a baby stroller. Her best friend would be strolled everywhere if her mom allowed it!
I also have a super light Maclaren and i know it is so easy to bring so if you think you'll need it just go for it.

every kid is different but do you use one for your state fair or when your kid is at the mall? If not just take it easy take breaks when you both need to sit down and just people watch talk about what you want to do next and what was fun about the last thing you did.

My DD was small enough to use a double stroller when she was 7 and share with a younger cousin. However she never wanted to use it and was always jumping out to walk. It was especially rainy so I liked her being under the clear rain cover when possible but other than that she just wanted to walk most of the time.

Like the PP's have said, it really depends on your child. I brought one along at that age, and was so glad I did! My DD really needed more rest than most kids, and then at age 15, she was diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. That explained a lot!

Disney involves a TON of walking. We typically will cover ten miles in a long day at the parks. She's 17 now, and we bring a wheelchair for her (her joints can sublux and she has lots of pain if she walks more than a mile or two).

We debated this but worried that she would be resting while we pushed and ready to go and play harder upon returning to the resort while we were all absolutely exhausted. She also seems to never stop and be full of energy....we're taking 4 adults to be able to hopefully keep up.

I think 7 is getting to the point of not needing a stroller, but it really depends on the kid. It also depends on your touring style. If you want to commando everyday for a week, you may need a stroller. If you are the type to take mid-day breaks every afternoon, maybe you don't need one.

We debated this but worried that she would be resting while we pushed and ready to go and play harder upon returning to the resort while we were all absolutely exhausted. She also seems to never stop and be full of energy....we're taking 4 adults to be able to hopefully keep up.

Question: Are you all willing to go slower, at her pace? Will any one of the 4 adults be put out at having to move slower and maybe see less?

In most cases, no. There are exceptions, of course. None of my kids needed strollers at 7. Actually, two didn't need them at Disney by 5. The other one has sensory issues which caused him to need one at 5 but not at 6. We don't do mid-day breaks and it still works out well. BUT - we don't always stay until closing either.

I'll echo some of the above posters.
Who's more likely to tire out first? You or the child?
In our case, DD4 could run circles around her dad and I. If we'd had a stroller, she'd have had to push one of us. :) But then, we're old fogies.
So maybe it'd be worthwhile to take a test to a nearby park or similar place?

Yes, yes and yes! Both my kids had outgrown strollers before 7 in the real world. But in the Disney world? They needed one at 7. Parks are big and they are still little. We made the mistake of not bringing one when my oldest was 7, and we ended up buying one at Walmart down there. When our son was 7, we knew better. Brought it, used it. Then left it at the condo when we left since we knew we wouldn't need it again and didn't want to cart it through airport. Had the same kind of stroller as you. Worked great.

My son has been fine with no stroller since he was 5 but he is very active in sports and has lots of energy. He is 7 now and we go to Disney a couple times per year. I have seen lots of kids in strollers at all ages though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter