• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

wortst weather memory in the parks?

Pats Dragon

DIS Veteran
Everyone complaining about the heat reminded me of a horrible day in the studios when it was below freezing and sleeting and every seat in every restaurant was taken. I have never been so cold in my life. We went to brew works to find dinner.

Getting stuck on the Monorail with my DD's in a different car because it was very crowded... and they had to shut them down due to the weather.. a tornado warning... the weather didn't bother me, it was the fact my DD's weren't with me but in the next car over!!! We were with my DS's baseball team and everyone was scattered. My DD's were with adults, just not me :scared1: My DS was in the car with me. When the Monorail did start going and we got off in the parking lot, we had to mad dash it to our cars... in the storm...and I forgot where I parked :lmao: I can laugh now, but I wasn't then...

Last January one night at DTD. Temp got in the 40's that evening(if I remember correctly). That, of all nights, was when we forgot to bring jackets. :sad2:

August 2, 1995 (my birthday). Hurricane Erin. They had the MK fireworks early and shut down the park. Busses were late because they had to evacuate the campgrounds. When we got back to CBR there was an automated message on our phone about evacuation instructions. We spent a very anxious night with the tv on listening to the weather reports and the wind howling outside. Made it through fine and went back to MK the next morning; although it did open a couple of hours late. Apparrently it took a little time to remove the blown over trees and give enough cast members time to fight their way through closed streets to get to work.

We've been through 3 tropical storms and 4 hurricanes in SW Florida since then, so now we're old pros. ;)

Last week of January, 1986. It went down to 29 degrees one night, my kids went swimming in the Poly pool anyway. Ha! I have pics of us riding the carousel in MK while wearing winter coats and gloves. I've never gone back in January since then and I never will.

This past May when Florida got hit with 22 inches of rain and we were there. I have never seen so much water! It rained every day of our trip (we were there a week and a half and only one day it did not rain ALL DAY).

One day we were at Epcot and a storm started. We got to the monorail just as it started to pour and it was so dark it was as if it were night-time and it was only 1:00 PM or so. The monorail made it's way to the transit center and then we boarded the monorail towards MK. It was pouring and lots of thunder & lightening too. When we got to MK and headed off down towards the boats we walked through ankle deep water and it wasn't because the water was coming from the river - it was because it rained so much and the drains couldn't handled all the water.

I have been to Disney when it was 100 degrees and I have been there in December when it was a little chilly for Florida. The worst weather we have ever had was 6 years ago in August. We always take the latest flight home so that we can cram a little more in that last day. We had to be back at the resort for our Mears pick up and the sky's opened up. It poured for over an hour to the point that the puddles were ankle deep. We finally ran for the resort bus and got back just in time for the trip to the airport. Once we got there we rifled through our luggage for anything dry and not too dirty to wear home. We were literally dripping puddles as we walked. My DGS was 5 at the time and thought it was the best thing ever.

A year or two ago we were at MK one night and there were tornado warnings all over the county. They were encouraging people to stay inside of buildings "just in case". It looks like there was a tornado running through main street at points because of the wind and rain slamming sideways. It was a totally miserable night. We finally made the run to the buses at some point but ended up soaked... but safe.

My first time at WDW - I was probably 9 or 10, so that would be 1979 or 1980.
We were there X-mas day wearing winter coats, temps around 40 farenheit.
Same trip we were on the East Coast (Vero Beach) visiting family and it snowed.

This was back in the late 70s or maybe 1980 and I was only 6 or 7. We were staying at the Polynesian and there was a Hurricane off the coast. Well, Disney didn't close and my grandfather took me and my twin brother to the MK that day while the rest of the family took shelter at the resort.

We put on our yellow Mickey rain coats and hopped on the monorail during torrential rain and wind. I'm not sure if the Hurricane actually went over Orlando when it made landfall, but it was bad enough. The park was completely (and I mean COMPLETELY) deserted. Only us and few other sparse families. It was probably 10:00 in the morning and we walked down main street literally alone. We could see cast member taking shelter in thier shops and no one else until you got inside an attraction.

We rode Peter Pan, I think Snow White, saw the old Mickey Mouse show where Philharmagic is now and did IASW about 3 times in a row. Finally, the cast members told us we were going to have to exit the park.

I've been to Disney probably 20 times--a lot for someone who's never lived closer than a 12 hour drive, but even from that early age I have vivid memories of my grandfather doing his best to give us a Disney day.

Unbelievable memory, only in the Magic Kingdom.

September 2007. Terrible storm at Epcot. We were staying at The Contemporary. The rain was letting up so we headed for the Monorail. It was shut down because of the lightening. Everyone had to go to the bus stops. We got to the bus stop with hundreds of other people. We finally got on the bus. Here comes a man and wife with 2 children asleep in a stroller getting on the bus in the pouring rain The bus driver told them they had to take the kids out of the stroller. They refused. It got really ugly. They were yelling at the bus driver and he was trying to be as calm as he could be. People inside and outside the bus were telling them to just take the kids out of the stroller because they had had to wake up their children. There was almost a fight. Then the woman jerked the stroller backwards and ran over the woman behind her and hurt her foot. They finally got off the bus still yelling at the bus driver. He called security and they were taken away. Everyone cheered except for the poor lady with the hurt foot, who was crying. That's one bus trip I'll never forget.:sad2:

This past May when Florida got hit with 22 inches of rain and we were there. I have never seen so much water! It rained every day of our trip (we were there a week and a half and only one day it did not rain ALL DAY).

Yes, that was my weather nightmare. We arrived Saturday, the rain started Monday night, by Tuesday there were no raincoats left in the stores, so we went to Wal Mart and Target, but nothing was there either. At this point we were OVER ponchos, they are fine for an hour but not to enjoy the parks all day. We went to Sports Authority on Wed AM and bought very expensive lined raincoats, the only ones they had. :eek: I was not happy at having to leave property. :sad1: We lept the tags on in case the rain stopped, but by Wednesday afternoon we were using them, and were quite happy to play in the rain for the rest of the week. I missed my resort pool time, though, and since it was no fun to go back to the resorts, so we ended up staying at parks all day in the rain. We were exhausted after that trip!

We did have lots of fun splashing in the puddles though. ;) There wasn't much lightening, just rain, so I wasn't worried.

I second this memory...I was there May 16-21 and it started raining the night of the 16th and literally rained all day everyday for the rest of the trip. I felt so bad for our party who most had not been to Disney before and probably won't be back. The rain made them miserable....even ponchos didn't help.

I second this memory...I was there May 16-21 and it started raining the night of the 16th and literally rained all day everyday for the rest of the trip. I felt so bad for our party who most had not been to Disney before and probably won't be back. The rain made them miserable....even ponchos didn't help.

I'll third this memory! I was there the 18th-23rd. We still had a lot of fun, but that rain was nasty - and you're right, ponchos didn't help at all. It was windy so the rain blew through the sleeves and neck holes of our ponchos, and the bottoms of our legs just got soaked. There's nothing like walking through the World Showcase in ankle-deep water trying to find a bathroom. :laughing:

I was in WDW with a friend of mine maybe about 8 years ago? Anyway we stupidly decided to run through the Epcot at night when it was a torrential down pour. Eventually it started to hale and I got hit in the eye with one the size of a golf ball. The next morning we found out there had been a tiny tornado near the parks!

about the last week of jan. 2000 we were there and it was about 32 at epcot. we were freeeeeeezing waiting for the tapesty of nations parade. it was the coldest it had been in awhile and we were lucky we brought some jackets, but ended up buying sweatshirts too!

while we were freezing in disney, my dad was in new orleans and there was this HUGE hail storm. it was crazy weather everywhere.

this poor woman at all star movies was pushing a stroller with freshly washed winter clothes. she's like we only brought enough to come and go home, we've been in them all week. we felt so sorry for her!

Oh, this is an easy one for me! This past September, we got caught at Epcot in pouring rain. We were in Canada. Then as we were making our way towards the exit, a bad lightening storm started. I'm not one to freak out over thunder and lightening, but this was bad.:scared1: I'm pretty sure the lightening hit something too, because there was a big flash of light and then a huge boom.

Of course that was the one night I didn't bring my poncho.:rotfl2:I looked like someone shoved me into the pool!!

We were in AK in August and a storm hit it rained so hard it was pouring off the roof my mum has a video some where they were asking people to stay in shops and under shelter in rides etc as they were frightened of lightening striking it only lasted 20 30 mins but that was the most water I have ever seen and living in the UK I should be used to rain lol

Early 80s there was a hurricane or tornado warning, I was really young so I'm not sure which. I remember my Mom running with me into the castle where a bunch of people were running for shelter. I have also been there in Jan or Feb once as a child and had to wear a winter coat and a hat, we bought sweatshirts to go over our tee shirts (very unpredictable weather in Jan/Feb it could be hot or spring like or down right cold lol)

December 31, 1999. Anyone there that day? We just had to up and leave for fear of frostbite. It was well below freezing and I heard it got colder that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter