• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worst Things About Animal Kingdom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I promise, this is the last time I ask you these wide open questions, but we have one more episode to go with these topics! What do you think are the worst things about Animal Kingdom? Y'all basically said everything about the park was the best about it, so I'm super interested in hearing what you think the worst aspects are.

Please keep asking us these wide open questions! It is fun feeling like we have some input on the show!

My main gripe about AK is how congested the walkway gets when Finding Nemo lets out. With the bum rush of the crowd + the stroller mafia + heat/humidity = anxiety attack city for me. We don't have kids so I rarely pay attention to when the kiddy shows take place, and we always wind up trapped there in our trek from EE to DINOSAUR.

Other than that, though, I actually quite enjoy AK. I pack a collapsible umbrella (can stow it in the cupholder portion of my backpack when not in use) that I can use for shade when the sun is beating down on me. And with the new walkway from Lion King to Pandora, it cuts down on a lot of backtracking we used to do.

It's very spread out and I think there is a lack of attractions. I do enjoy the shows, but it would be nice if they could add an attraction here and there.

I wish the different areas were more connected. In other words, I feel like we backtrack quite a bit because the paths to get to each area are not convenient. At MK I can get to Adventureland multiple ways, but at AK I'm more limited, if that makes sense.
But even with that, it is a family favorite and we love it!
Dawn

This is exactly my main complaint....the park layout. I feel like I am always backtracking (while dripping with sweat due to the canopy effect!) ;)

Why are there so many darn hills (inclines) in AK? Florida is suppose to be FLAT!

I know they are really not hills, but when you are pushing a wheelchair they feel like hills.

Because of the FP times we were able to get for rides, we had to backtrack a number of times. I felt we were going in circles.

I'll admit I'm kinda confused about the complaints about layout. Its setup like a hub and if you know where you are you can follow the main "loop". Or you can take the cut through paths on either side of the Tree of Life. Sure when you are in the mix it can be visually unclear but I think that's by design to add to the atmosphere. If you take line of sight out of the equation and know where you on are the map, AK is very easy to navigate.

Screen%20Shot%202019-04-22%20at%2012.18.10%20PM.png

It would be a lot easier if there was a direct path leading from the entrance area to Dinoland and to Pandora.

According to the map you have to go to Discovery island and then backtrack to reach the other two lands. Why can’t they connect it all to make it easier to get around?

Last edited:
That it often closes so much earlier than the other parks. Neither my DS6, my husband, nor myself are morning people. At least in the other parks we can tour a bit in the evening after crowds have thinned a little and make up for not having the rope drop advantage......but that’s often not the case at AK.

Also agree with what other posters have said about the path size and layout causing bottlenecks that make it feel more crowded than other parks, even at the same crowd levels. I’d imagine it’s even worse with Rafiki’s Planet Watch being closed and no longer funneling some crowds away from Africa.

Still our favorite park, though, and NOT a “half day park,” more like a 2-3 day park for us!

Loved "Flights of Wonder" and wish they had left it alone rather than adding stilted character interaction with Dug and Russell.
Dinoland- keep Dinosaur and the Boneyard and get rid of the rest. Carnival attractions don't seem to fit with AK.
Backtracking...

I haven’t been there since pandora opened, fwiw.

But I don’t find anything to be the worst in AK. I quite like it. Haven’t spent near enough time there.

AK is also the coldest of the parks when it's cold

I can 100% vouch for that.

I do have to say my young kids LOVE that land.

But dump the crappy carnival attractions for an immersive land.

So you want to get rid of the rides that young kids love?

I like that area. And wish I’d allowed my son to have more fun doing the carnival type games he enjoys. We don’t let him play those at the local fairs so why not at Disney?

Maybe the next time I convince him to go with me and we have tickets, he’ll still want to do those games.

And I love primeval whirl.

Yup - back in 2016 - bit an 8 yr old boy too - he was ok...

Googling...it came to the attention of the public in 2016, but had happened in 2014.

They should make the park executives march back and forth there for one afternoon.

I think that’s true for a LOT of things in the world... “come along with me, have MY experience for the day...”

The missing story line on the Safari including the effects on the rickety bridge.

The discontinued boat ride on the river.

Yes and yes! I'd like those things back. :)

The off-the-rack section of Dinoland. I like Dinosaur! and The Dig, but not the Hester and Chester part - it is such a let down.

You know how Walt was bummed because he built Disneyland and then people immediately started building/opening all sorts of things around it to capitalize on the popularity of Disneyland? That's a bit like what the Hester & Chester back story reminds me of---which seems ironic. ;)

The only thing I can really think off is the aforementioned heat and humidity. I'm from the Midwest so we're used to humid summers but I swear we somehow always end up at AK on the hottest day of our trip and melt while at the park.

1) heat/humidity
2)thrill seeker rides in corners of the park (Pandora, Asia, Dinoland)
3) walkways don’t absorb crowds as well as other parks (lots of narrow paths)
4) closes earlier than most other parks (particularly sucks when you want to watch rivers of light in summer, but also want to check out pandora at night because sunset is close to closing time!)

The missing story line on the Safari including the effects on the rickety bridge.

The discontinued boat ride on the river.

Also the UP bird show is pretty bad.
Huh? We are there in January and they did the rickety bridge. They weren't going to because we had a service animal in our party, but we told them he would fine, so they did, unless you are talking about something else.

So you want to get rid of the rides that young kids love?

Yes that can’t be imagineers at 5 and 2.

Huh? We are there in January and they did the rickety bridge. They weren't going to because we had a service animal in our party, but we told them he would fine, so they did, unless you are talking about something else.

Yes the rickety bridge mechanics seems to be used at completely random intervals these days. But originally you were trying to escape(or chase can’t remember) poachers so there was a bit of a thrill ride aspect to it in portions.

Worst:

Dinoland
Doesn’t have that many rides (despite having two of the best)
Kali River Rapids
Rivers of Light (better than no night time show but not a fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter