• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worst meal every had a WDW...

We ate dinner at Boma recently and most of the desserts there (at unmanned tables) said "Contains Alcohol." Now, I always thought that the actual alcohol evaporated off when baked, but then why would they put that notice on the desserts unless it made a difference? :confused3 Needless to say we didn't let our kids have those desserts.

Not long ago I read that not all the alcohol is evaporated when used in cooking. I, like you, have always thought that when cooked all the alcohol would evaporate. I guess it depends on length of cooking and what temperature the dish is cooked.

Patty

So they thought that the Swan was a typical WDW hotel. We took them to several others, AK, WL, Poly and GF and Cont. So that is fixed now. They have a broader refre. point. And they had mostly eaten at the Swan till this trip as it was easier.. we also fixed that!

Sorry you had a bad experience dining at the Swan. I wouldn't base my opinion of the restaurant or hotel on one experience though. We've stayed in all categories of WDW resorts, & stayed at the Dolphin last month. Anyone choosing to stay at S/D doesn't need fixing. They are very nice hotels, with deluxe service & ammenities. We received much better service there than any WDW resort we've stayed at.

thanks for the honest review. It's always disappointing to have that type of experience at WDW because you are SO looking forward to it and expecting only the best! We've had similar reviews in 2 other eateries over the years and if the service level only compliments the food level :mad: , then we don't ever go back. If service tries to fix the issues, then that's another try for us. Alfredos was our "swan song".

On a new note- I got home from Dr. apts and running errands late today and had a call from a manager at Swan. She very nicely asked me to call her back as she would lke to talk to us about our experience at dinner. So I will try and get back to them in the next day or two. She was very nice on the answering machine. Will let you all know what goes on....

Not long ago I read that not all the alcohol is evaporated when used in cooking. I, like you, have always thought that when cooked all the alcohol would evaporate. I guess it depends on length of cooking and what temperature the dish is cooked.

Patty

Just for the info...of course the amount and type of alcohol as a percentage of the recipe is critical too, a shot of Jack or 12 oz. of light beer makes a big difference when you are talking what remains.., but here are the results of a USDA study.

ALCOHOL IN COOKING

Contrary to what most people believe, and that includes most professionals, when using beer, wine or other alcoholic beverages in recipes, a lot of alcohol still remains after cooking.

Here are the facts from the Agricultural Research Service of the USDA (1989).

ALCOHOL IN COOKING

Alcohol remaining after preparation:
100% Immediate consumption
70% Overnight storage
85% Boiling liquid, remove from heat
75% Flamed
Baked or simmered:
40% after 15 min
35% after 30 min
25% after 1 hour
20% after 1.5 hour
10% after 2 hours
5% after 2 1/2 hours

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter