Worst meal every had a WDW...

idofabric

<font color=green>"How do I...?"
We got back a week ago, (had toe surgery the day after we got home, better now..), but wanted to post a review about the horrid meal we had at the Swan.
We were there for the Seafood buffet. Their was 9 of us, 2 that can't eat seafood, but the Swan staff said they could have a steak for the same $28.99. First of the many, many problems...
The steaks that they got were about 1/2 inch thin. Over cooked, tasteless, and dry. When we tried to find our waiter to tell him we could not find him... or ANY waitstaff. It was not busy, as it was very early in the evening.
The manager came buy and asked if everything was alright. We said no. She said to bad...
The peas at the kids station were hard, undrercooked and tasted like dirt. As if they had not been washed.
The crab legs were either overcooked, which made it allmost impossible to get to the meat, or cooked to mush. One of the 2 clusters I had was ok... the other tasteless.
We were not able to get the waiter to refill our drinks, no suprise since we didn't see a lot of him...
The deserts were ok. The Grape jello/shooters with booze in them were out on the buffet and I saw several kids getting them. I tried it and it was like cheap wine that had been jello-ed.... really yuck. The choclate stuff was ok, one of them was a little bitter, and I love 86% unsweet choclate!
The veggies on the buffet were either excellent, or over cooked. I had a serving and when I went back for more it was not the same quailty.
This was our first and last time to eat at the Swan. It was the 5th or 6th time eating there for most of the group. They had eaten there earlier in the week and on several other stays, and said it had been good the first trip, in Dec. 07, but the last few times it had not been as good. This was the worst they had ever had also. They will not go back either, or even stay there anymore.
I had really looked forward to that meal... oh, well. At least we had a GREAT meal at Cape May a few days befor. And maybe we just hit it on a really off night.?
Sure hope we just hit them on an off night! I can't believe that they could stay in bussiness if it was allways that bad.

What restaurant was this at the Swan? I didn't know they had a seafood buffet. $28.99 isn't bad compared to some of the off site places. I looked at some menus but couldn't find anything that listed a seafood buffet at the Swan. Am I missing it?

Wow I have never seen alcoholic beverages at an unmanned table at a buffet before. That is horrible.

We ate dinner at Boma recently and most of the desserts there (at unmanned tables) said "Contains Alcohol." Now, I always thought that the actual alcohol evaporated off when baked, but then why would they put that notice on the desserts unless it made a difference? :confused3 Needless to say we didn't let our kids have those desserts.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Sorry it was not what you expected :(

Moved your thread over to the Dining Review Board :cool1:

We ate dinner at Boma recently and most of the desserts there (at unmanned tables) said "Contains Alcohol." Now, I always thought that the actual alcohol evaporated off when baked, but then why would they put that notice on the desserts unless it made a difference? :confused3 Needless to say we didn't let our kids have those desserts.

We have always wondered why they bother posting that but I think they are just being cautious as I am sure someone would complain if they didn't. You would likely have to spend the entire evening eating dessert to notice any amount of alcohol. We give our kids a free reign and have yet to have one pass out.:rotfl2:

Those desserts are not baked. They are generally cold mousses with alcohol stirred in. There is a reason why they put that sign up. Not that they have a large amount of alcohol to start with - it's usually liqueur and just enough to give it flavor.

The manager actually said to you, "Too bad...." and then did nothing to help your party? And she was the manager? Oh, my!

I have never heard of a manager being so callous when dealing with a complaint. I am so sorry that happened to you.

I have a neighbor who has an allergic reaction to alcohol. In todays world of peanut allergies, seafood allergies, and so many other food allergies places are very cautious to cover their butts. That would be my guess.

While it's too bad you had such a poor experience, a couple of things you say give me pause...
There were members of your party who've eaten there several times and enjoyed it (apparently) once, but were disappointed on several subsequent visits? Did they really expect it to get better/more enjoyable?
And did the manager say, "Too bad", or did she say, "That's too bad"? Sometimes we only hear what we want to hear.

While it's too bad you had such a poor experience, a couple of things you say give me pause...
There were members of your party who've eaten there several times and enjoyed it (apparently) once, but were disappointed on several subsequent visits? Did they really expect it to get better/more enjoyable?
And did the manager say, "Too bad", or did she say, "That's too bad"? Sometimes we only hear what we want to hear.

Yeah, it's their own darn fault for patronizing that restaurant!:rolleyes:

I have given many restaurants a second, third or even fourth try (Biergarten, Le Cellier and San Angel to name a few). They generally do get better after a really horrible experience.

OP - thanks for your honest review. I did not even know about this restaurant, but it is definitely on the "don't even think about it" list.;)

yachtsman steak house. Lobster bisque tasted rancid, scallops were way undercooked, risotto tasted like it had at least a dozen lemons squeezed into it, the specialty steak (some Australian kind of beef) was fatty and tough, mashed potatoes were way to sweet (they weren't sweet potatoes either), and the desert had way too much liquer on it that's all you could taste.
Maybe my pallate just isn't as refined as others but it was horrible.

You don't really expect us to believe that there were Jell-O shots on the buffet, do you? You must have been mistaken. Maybe it was really rancid Jello.

yes - hard to believe those were genuine alcohol Jell-O shots, within reach of children....

The manager actually said to you, "Too bad...." and then did nothing to help your party? And she was the manager? Oh, my!

I have never heard of a manager being so callous when dealing with a complaint. I am so sorry that happened to you.

Actually that was the response that I received when I complained about the changes to garden grill a few years ago when they went to the very limited menu--DS's steak was inetable and I very calmly explained that he needed a new one prepared for him or that the charge for the meal needed to be removed. The response was till a too bad, but I did press and DS was given another steak which was still not very good. I did follow up with a letter because I was appalled with the response. A few weeks later the whole menu changed back to what it is currently, and they got another new manager, so I must not have been the only one to complain. I wonder, maybe that manager is now working at the Swan! :lmao:

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this...
Not only has my toe taken a lot longer to get a little better,(12 stitches will do that to ya!), but I caught the sore throat/cold my DS had.
To answer a few questions from posters- There were 3 families dining- me and DH, DB and his DW and D, and a friend, his wife and 2 kids. The friend has eaten there several times. They were only on their 3 WDW trip, and first with us. So they thought that the Swan was a typical WDW hotel. We took them to several others, AK, WL, Poly and GF and Cont. So that is fixed now. They have a broader refre. point. And they had mostly eaten at the Swan till this trip as it was easier.. we also fixed that! Food and Wine and all the other places to eat...
The desert on the buffet was a shot glass that had a green grape at the bottom of the glass. It was filled with a simi jello-ed liquid that had enought booze in it that it was never gonna get more solid. So it was akin to light green slime. And we could not only taste the booze, but we could smell it. I do think it would have taken a lot of them to get a buzz, but would not have been able to down enought of them. Maybe it was a seasonal, Halloween-ish, dessert?
The manager could have said 'Thats to bad". It is very possible I did mis hear her. However, when a manager asks how it is, and the answer is NOT GOOD, I would think they would take steps to make it good! or not as we saw...
And as a non update- I sent The Swan an email with the same info (love cut & paste!) that I posted. Still waiting for a respond from them. Bet it is a looooong wait!
And finally, sorry my fingers have a mind of their own tonight.. or my mind has fingers... or whatever. I should have taken the cold meds after posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter