Worst Ending to a Disney Trip EVER! (and other things that happened) - UPDATE 6/22!

That is a seriously sad story. When you are expecting fries and don't get them...ugh. Hope it works out better for you next time!!

I am so loving this trip report. I just read the whole thing through.
Sorry you didn't get your fries. I was thinking when you had to leave Mickey D's just go to the ATM.

Looking forward to the next update.

Makes total sense. And I say that to you as I eat nothing but a large bowl of french fries for lunch.

Awww. Rub it in why don't you? :rotfl2:

When they repaved our parking lot at our apartment someone put a sign up for the handicap entrance only it says "Handy cap"

:rotfl:

I often have the dilemma on my day off of we run out of something I want but I'm not about to leave and go get it so I just sit around and get grumpy that I can't have it.

YES!

That french fry story may be one of the saddest stories ever....

So sad!

That is a seriously sad story. When you are expecting fries and don't get them...ugh. Hope it works out better for you next time!!

Thank you! I should kick my DH out of the house on Sat so I can have a do-over. Ooo! OR I could make him take me to the fancy place, sit at the bar, have my truffle aoili fries AND a nice cocktail!

I am so loving this trip report. I just read the whole thing through.
Sorry you didn't get your fries. I was thinking when you had to leave Mickey D's just go to the ATM.

Looking forward to the next update.

I'm glad you are enjoying it! I should have just gone to the ATM, it would have saved me a step for sure.

They were a little mushy if it makes you feel better :rotfl: Unless you like mushy fries then it might not.

Are they under-cooked mushy, soggy mushy, or just potato-y mushy? But no, it does not. :p

Sorry to hear about the french fry fiasco!! :(:(:(

Cute kitties!! :ccat:

I'm confused about why you bought chips and salsa at the grocery store. You could have bought fries there and heated them at home. Or you could have bought fries from some other restaurant. Do you only like McDonalds' fries?

Sorry to hear about the french fry fiasco!! :(:(:(

Cute kitties!! :ccat:

Thank you!

Undercooked and potato-y mushy.

Ew. No. Baaad.

I'm confused about why you bought chips and salsa at the grocery store. You could have bought fries there and heated them at home. Or you could have bought fries from some other restaurant. Do you only like McDonalds' fries?

I had my brain set on McDonald's fries at the time. I do eat frozen fries but I prefer the ones from a restaurant. For fast food places, I prefer McDonald's. I don't really care for the fries at Burger King, Wendy's (unless I eat them with a Frosty), or Culvers which were my other options in the area. I do really like fries from sit-down restaurants but I wasn't interested in sitting down at the restaurant.

"Welcome! I still love Archie comics. It's very nostalgic for me. I listen to Radio Classics on SiriusXM and sometimes they play an episode from the Archie radio show. It's actually pretty good and the humor translates. Unlike the Jack Benny programs which are not very funny to me. (I feel super blasphemic saying that! Radio classics people LOVE Jack Benny!)"
Wow, another Archie lover! I'm almost 50 y.o., is it scary that I still get all of the different Digests ? (Betty and Veronica, Archie and Jughead, etc) ? I just can't let go of "the old days" I guess, I never got rid of my Nancy Drew collection, Bobbsey Twins and a few others. And I catch a few old radio shows that we used to listen to, The Twilight Zone, The Shadow Knows, Dark Shadows. . . . . A blast from the past.

Good news!

I got my fries!

Blair and I went to a fancy restaurant near us and sat in the bar and had drinks and ate lots of house french fries with truffle aioli. Mmmmmmm.

Here is my blood orange cosmo with my fries!

upload_2016-10-23_14-59-37.png

Now that balance has been restored to the universe, let's get on with my trip report!

Day 3 Part 2 - A mini-DISMeet

After the tour, we went to use our FP+ for SE. On of my favorites! :love: I could ride it for HOURS!

upload_2016-10-23_13-7-7.png

Looking at the time, we were getting concerned that we would not have enough time to do our FPs, go back to the Swan and change for dinner, and make our ADR at Le Cellier. So after using the SE FP, while I was still in line, I managed to move up the Seas FP but I couldn't move up TT since all of them were gone. Bummer. We'll probably just have to forget about it.

We went to The Seas, rode it, and looked at the fish tank for a little bit. They were training the rays to eat through a hole in a plexiglass board. I assume that is so that they are able to do wellness examinations and maybe procedures easier. I always like seeing a demonstration at The Seas. I once saw a dolphin training exercise. That was pretty awesome.

It was raining again when we left The Seas. I saw that TT was down. It wasn't time for our FP yet, but I was hoping that it would still be down by the time our window opened and we would get a FP for a later time and we could ride it after dinner.

We decided to take the long way around the countries to the International Gateway. But first, a stop in Club Cool!

upload_2016-10-23_13-18-16.png

I like most of the flavors except Beverly. Mom, once again, got mixed up and thought that Beverly was the one that she really liked. Hahaha. Nope!

I warn her too - not Beverly. But in her head, I think all she hears is "Beverly" so she goes straight to it. Every time. I think it just confirms that no one in my family ACTUALLY listens to me. And I'm always right so you'd think they'd listen more...:confused3 :laughing:

Stomachs sloshing, we made our way to Mexico. This is one of my favorite pavilions I love how it's twilight inside (minus the vampires) with the carts all around. We rode the Grand Fiesta Tour which had a little bit of a line. Maybe a few minutes wait but I am used to just walking on. I love the song in the ride. I often sing it at home, much to my family's delight. I assume it must be delight because really, what other appropriate response is there??

When we left the ride, the line was really long. Yikes. We quickly browsed through the carts. I'm often looking for things for Blair here since he minored in Spanish in college and lived in Mexico City for a semester. I found some amaranth Chocolate of the Gods. Cool! It reminded me of my Behind the Seeds tour and that woman who wanted to eat the leaves so I had to get it for Blair. But it was so warm out that I decided to wait until we did EP again.

People were walking into the entrance with ponchos on and we all groaned. That would be why the ride was so long, everyone was coming inside. Sure enough, it was raining again.

We scurried over to Norway and briefly looked through the shops. We lost Dad in the Frozen shop next to the Sommerhus. We thought that he saw us leaving but he hadn't. We teased him about not being able to tear him away from the Frozen merchandise. :rotfl:

It was close to 5pm so we needed to get moving! We put on our ponchos and skipped the rest of the countries. We left through the International Gateway and paused by the boat launch and hemmed and hawed for a few seconds. Ultimately, we decided not to wait for the boat and to walk to the Swan and then take the boat back so we wouldn't be sweaty for dinner.

We walked at a good pace but we weren't walking all that fast. My mom wouldn't have been able to keep up if we did. Along the way, I got a notification that TT was down and we had an anytime FP+. SCORE! Just what we wanted!

I was quite sweaty by the time we got to our hotel room. I was washing up when we heard the boat honk, signalling it was coming in to the launch. Wow. We beat it walking by A LOT.

We changed, at a small snack, and got down to the boat launch. It had thankfully stopped raining so we didn't have to wear the sticky ponchos. The boat came quickly and we hopped on.

Dressed in our nice clothes, trying to stay cool!

upload_2016-10-23_13-43-40.png

Dad looks super pleased. :rotfl2: I think he hates pictures.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-23_14-5-33.png
    upload_2016-10-23_14-5-33.png
    476.8 KB · Views: 35
  • upload_2016-10-23_14-18-7.png
    upload_2016-10-23_14-18-7.png
    981.4 KB · Views: 37
  • upload_2016-10-23_14-38-16.png
    upload_2016-10-23_14-38-16.png
    734.4 KB · Views: 36
  • upload_2016-10-23_14-56-53.png
    upload_2016-10-23_14-56-53.png
    655.3 KB · Views: 38
We were running slightly behind so of course bag check seemed to take forever. I had brought a larger bag so I could switch out my sandals to nicer ones once we got to the restaurant.

I was nervous and excited as we walked towards Le Cellier. I had never eating there before so anytime I do something new, I get a little nervous. And I was going to be meeting a fellow DISer, @Mollydolly334 so I was excited and a little nervous about that too. Her and her mom had ADRs 5min after ours.

After checking in at the podium and being told they were running 5-10min behind, we went to sit outside. I was double checking our FP+s when I heard my name. Molly had found me!

A quick hug and introductions all around, we spoke for a little bit. Molly and her mom were staying at the GF for a mother/daughter trip and it sounded so heavenly! Molly was so great - just like she seems on the Boards. I had wondered how much our personalities matched what we wrote. This was my first time ever meeting someone that I had met here on the DIS.

Unfortunately, a CM came to tell us our table was ready. Of course, the one time I wouldn't have minded them truly being behind. We waved good-bye and I hoped to see her inside.

The inside of Le Cellier was really neat - just like it looks in pictures. People have commented on how close the tables are to each other and it's true. You are very close. The table next to us was empty most of the time so that helped.

We got an allergy menu and our server was really nice about it. She asked if we wanted to see the chef or if it was okay if she interfaced instead. We were fine with her being the go-between for us.

I ordered a Blueberry Icewine Martini and Dad got a Canadian beer. I enjoyed my drink. I didn't love it but it was fun to try the icewine.

upload_2016-10-23_15-1-4.png

For food, Mom chose the filet mingon with fries, Dad chose the rib-eye, and I chose the GF rib-eye and I ordered a side of truffle fries. Shocking, right?

The server came out with regular and GF bread and two separate butter dishes so there wouldn't be cross contamination. So nice! Mom couldn't have the bread but I had some. It was pretty good.

Our entrees seemed to take a bit. Mom and Dad peppered me with questions about the DISBoards. I had forgotten to tell them about my mini-meet with Molly ahead of time. They were very intrigued. I showed them Molly's PTR and explained that I would be doing a TR. It's funny because I've been on the Boards for YEARS and they're just now realizing what it exactly means. I guess they just had to experience it for themselves. For the rest of the trip, they kept giving me their opinions and saying - make sure you tell your friends xyz, etc. It was fun to have them so involved.

Dinner finally came. It was good. My steak was medium rather than medium-rare like I had wanted. Dad's was cooked just right. Mom really liked hers. The truffle fries were good but a bit under-done.

upload_2016-10-23_15-1-24.png

My meal. My parents didn't want me taking pictures of their food. The other table had come by this time and were staring at us strangely. I don't know why, since the other table next to us had a guy in shorts leaning on his elbow with his leg up on the booth bench showing everyone his underwear.

joaquin-phoenix-shock-signs.gif

Yeah. Classy.

Good thing they left not too long after we got our food. Ugh.

We finished up our meal pretty quickly. We had been starving. I looked for Molly when I was leaving but didn't see her. And I realized that we didn't even get a picture together! :sad:

We walked to TT but stopped at First Aid to get some bandaids for Mom. She had not brought another pair of shoes so her heels were getting rubbed raw.

At TT, Mom and I worked together to build a car and Dad did his own. We
were determined to beat him!

upload_2016-10-23_15-1-46.png

I can never quite figure out where the camera is for this ride. We were all having a good time but it looks like we're sipping tea compared to the people behind us!

AAANNND Mom and I beat Dad!! By 208 to 206! Whoo hoo!!!

After TT, IllumiNations was starting but we didn't want to stay and watch, we wanted to beat the crowd out. So we walked through the countries while it played. It was kind of neat, actually. We got to see it from a lot of different angles. But all of a sudden BAM! - I had collided with a man really hard. We had both been watching the fireworks and not where we were going. He was super embarrassed and I could tell he felt really bad. He grabbed my arms and kept asking if I was okay. I was totally fine. I've collided with other people many times, sadly. Mostly due to sports but also due to my clumsiness. I'm pretty solid for my size so I actually come out okay most of the time.

I reassured him while I extracted myself from his hands. I don't think he realized that he was holding me because he suddenly snatched up his hands and walked away really quickly. My parents had not noticed and had kept walking so I ran to catch up.

We decided to walk back to the Swan since the Boardwalk is pretty at night with the lights.

Back at the room, I took another hot bath and felt a little better than I had last night with my bath but I still felt unsettled for some reason.

But there's no time to think - it's off to bed and up again early tomorrow!

Up Next....

Day 4 Part 1 - Ahhhhh....that's better

Bonus:

Here is a pic of Sirius "helping" me write up this update:

upload_2016-10-23_15-2-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-23_15-2-10.png
    upload_2016-10-23_15-2-10.png
    971.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Wow, another Archie lover! I'm almost 50 y.o., is it scary that I still get all of the different Digests ? (Betty and Veronica, Archie and Jughead, etc) ? I just can't let go of "the old days" I guess, I never got rid of my Nancy Drew collection, Bobbsey Twins and a few others. And I catch a few old radio shows that we used to listen to, The Twilight Zone, The Shadow Knows, Dark Shadows. . . . . A blast from the past.

I don't think it's scary at all! I'm 35 and I've gotten a lot of this nostalgia from my mom. She has almost all of the Happy Hollisters books and I am very close to almost all of the hardcover Trixie Belden books. I've also been enjoying listening to Gunsmoke on the radio and watching it on TV. Along with Bonanza. Though a lot of it makes me laugh because there is no way that frontier life was really like that! Ranching looks like a breeze!

Good news!

I got my fries!

:cheer2: Yay! And now I don't feel so bad that I ate fries.

I warn her too - not Beverly. But in her head, I think all she hears is "Beverly" so she goes straight to it. Every time. I think it just confirms that no one in my family ACTUALLY listens to me. And I'm always right so you'd think they'd listen more...:confused3 :laughing:

I like the pineapple and mango one. You think they'd know better and listen to someone who is always right :p

We rode the Grand Fiesta Tour which had a little bit of a line. Maybe a few minutes wait but I am used to just walking on. I love the song in the ride. I often sing it at home, much to my family's delight. I assume it must be delight because really, what other appropriate response is there??

We just rode that for the first time last time. I also assume they are delighted to hear you sing it.

Along the way, I got a notification that TT was down and we had an anytime FP+. SCORE! Just what we wanted!

:banana:

View attachment 202655

:rotfl: My dad hates pictures too.

For food, Mom chose the filet mingon with fries, Dad chose the rib-eye, and I chose the GF rib-eye and I ordered a side of truffle fries. Shocking, right?

:eek: You? Fries?! I can't believe it!

Our entrees seemed to take a bit. Mom and Dad peppered me with questions about the DISBoards. I had forgotten to tell them about my mini-meet with Molly ahead of time. They were very intrigued. I showed them Molly's PTR and explained that I would be doing a TR. It's funny because I've been on the Boards for YEARS and they're just now realizing what it exactly means. I guess they just had to experience it for themselves. For the rest of the trip, they kept giving me their opinions and saying - make sure you tell your friends xyz, etc. It was fun to have them so involved.

I took notes for the TR this time and Josh kept giving me things I should put in my notes :rotfl: or reminding me to put things in my TR. That's why you got the gas story at the Haunted Mansion he was insistent about that one.

My meal. My parents didn't want me taking pictures of their food. The other table had come by this time and were staring at us strangely. I don't know why, since the other table next to us had a guy in shorts leaning on his elbow with his leg up on the booth bench showing everyone his underwear.

Haha aw weirdos at the next table. And gross to underwear guy. I don't even care if people see me take pictures of all the food anymore. #doingitforthetripreport

I can never quite figure out where the camera is for this ride. We were all having a good time but it looks like we're sipping tea compared to the people behind us!

You look like you're trying to be proper and have had it with the hooligans behind you:rotfl:

AAANNND Mom and I beat Dad!! By 208 to 206! Whoo hoo!!!

:cheer2:

I was totally fine. I've collided with other people many times, sadly. Mostly due to sports but also due to my clumsiness. I'm pretty solid for my size so I actually come out okay most of the time.

:rotfl: I collide with people exclusively due to clumsiness.

Back at the room, I took another hot bath and felt a little better than I had last night with my bath but I still felt unsettled for some reason.

:( Aw

:laughing:

Aren't DisMeets awesome?? I had a quick one a couple years ago and then this past Aug. watched the Jungle Book show with another Dis friend and her family. Hoping to have a couple more "meets" next month! My stepson thinks it's creepy meeting up with people you only know from online, but he just doesn't know us Disney freaks :P
Haven't been to Le Cellier in years. I really want to go back for the cheese soup but most reviews aren't that positive. Glad overall you enjoyed it! Oh and you should seriously go to the Territory Lounge at WL on your next trip. They serve a burger with the BEST truffle fries I've ever had ::yes::

Hello again. I’m just catching up after a few weeks away from the boards.

When my dad and I did the Wild by Design Tour (discontinued – booo!!), we learned that there was a large amount of dinosaur bones discovered by some scientists (the Boneyard play area). Some really rare ones, too. So some university professors and grad students set up camp to dig up the bones and built a headquarters (Restaurantosaurus). So all of the theming of Restaurantosaurus is around a university dig theme. You can see the students have set up games on the roof to amuse themselves in the off time. They’re hanging out their laundry up there, too. One side of Restaurantosaurus is their eating area/club/game room (The Hip Joint). That is my favorite area to eat. It has the camper in there too.
I heard the basic story of Restaurantosaurus before, but I appreciate all your detail. I am now determined to sit in the camper some day. Too bad the Wild by Design tour is not there anymore. It sounds interesting.

We bought ponchos for $10 and we really liked the thickness! It was not too thin like our disposable ponchos but not as thick as our reuseable ones that get kind of stifling.
Worth the $10.
I still have ones I bought in 2008 and I still bring them. I think I only paid $7 back then, so they hold up really well and worth it IMO. I think I read that even if an old poncho tears, if you're in WDW you can show it to a CM and they will give you a new one. Although I may be wrong on that.

So if you get a chance, do the Behind the Seeds tour!
Behind the Seeds has been on my Disney bucket list for a while. I’ve been obsessed with Living with the Land since I was 9 years old when I first rode it. I have no idea why. I’m not much of a gardener but I’ve always enjoyed it.

And I was going to be meeting a fellow DISer, @Mollydolly334 so I was excited and a little nervous about that too.
Awesome! Glad that you were able to meet Molly. I read her TR’s too.

I can never quite figure out where the camera is for this ride.
I never know where any of the ride cameras are. I always see people doing great poses for the cameras, and I’m clueless. I suppose there is a thread with ride camera locations somewhere that I should study.

Wow! I love that you helped at the GTKTW Village! I hadn't heard of it until someone from here on the Dis held a DisMeet/fundraiser in a neighbouring province. I've gone to 4/5 of them. Sadly, I couldn't make it this year, but I made sure to forward her a donation.
Hey @DisneyFreak06! I've seen you reply to TR's before but I didn't realize you were from PEI. I'm from Newfoundland. I guess you are referring to Evelyn's Nova Scotia DisMeet? I attended the one in 2014 too! Too bad I wasn't as involved in the boards then, I didn't really know anybody. I wasn't able to go this year either since she had it earlier in June. Hopefully I'll be able to get to another one.

Blair and I went to a fancy restaurant near us and sat in the bar and had drinks and ate lots of house french fries with truffle aioli. Mmmmmmm.

YES GIIIIRL! Truffle fries are the BEST!

Here is my blood orange cosmo with my fries!

I do love a Cosmo!!! :flower1:

After the tour, we went to use our FP+ for SE. On of my favorites! :love: I could ride it for HOURS!

Same. I wish they would let me stay on over and over again... and let me listen to Dame Judy educate us on the history of communication. Shes so fab.

We went to The Seas, rode it, and looked at the fish tank for a little bit. They were training the rays to eat through a hole in a plexiglass board. I assume that is so that they are able to do wellness examinations and maybe procedures easier. I always like seeing a demonstration at The Seas. I once saw a dolphin training exercise. That was pretty awesome.

I saw this too while we were there! It was so interesting!

I see so many similarities with our families :rotfl2: #GrumpyPants

I ordered a Blueberry Icewine Martini and Dad got a Canadian beer. I enjoyed my drink. I didn't love it but it was fun to try the icewine.

What is theis ICEWINE that you speak of???? Sounds amazing!!!!!!!! :jumping3:

Truffle Fries in the Hizzzzouse!!!! :banana:

This makes me smile so much. I recently had the same experience with Kevin, and he wanted in on the action which is why he is now posting from his perspective on my trip report. Maybe your dad and mom should write a post too!!! :jumping1:

This made me laugh outloud. :lmao:

Ohhhh the kittyyyy. He needs to meet Obi and Penny :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter