Worse WDW Trip Ever

DVC92

DIS Veteran
My wife and I recently returned from a one-week trip to the Villas at the Grand Floridian (VGF). We are DVC members since 1992 (30 years) and have been going multiple weeks a year for many years. Unfortunately, this was our worst trip ever, a chore rather than a vacation. Between Genie, Genie+, and Lightning Lane (LL), our park days were terrible. I don’t have a smart phone to use the new system even if I wanted to, which I don’t. We are also ones that enter the parks in the afternoon, so I definitely do not want to get up at 7 AM to get FPs on Genie+. Further, the AP cost has escalated significantly so that one should not have to pay extra, particularly if they don’t need any more than 3 passes/day. The old system for resort guests was so much better, being able to book FP+ 60 days ahead of check-in and plan their park experiences.

On our first day in MK, wait times were 70+ minutes. All we were able to do in the afternoon was Monsters, Inc. and Peter Pan before dinner. The wait time for Pan was 70 minutes but took 85. After that, we weren’t about to get in another 70+ minute queue and miss the fireworks. At the Studios, significant attractions were closed (Toy Story Mania and Little Mermaid), so we tried Runaway Railway which took 70 minutes. After that, we did one show and then called it a day since other queue times were ridiculous and it would prevent our on-time arrival for a dinner ressie. Another day in AK, we waited in line for the Safari (60 minutes) and the Avatar boat ride (80 minutes). At least the animal walks were still free; however, they were strangely empty. I guess everyone else was waiting in lines. Of course, absent a smart phone, getting in the virtual queue for the REMY ride is impossible at 1 PM at Guest Services. Further, the parks aren’t open late enough anymore to get on rides if one eats a sit-down in dinner in the parks. Park hours/EMH have been significantly cut back of late, particularly at MK.

Further, with the new system, everyone is walking around the parks staring at their phones. They constantly crash into you or come to a dead stop on walkways causing you to trip or swerve to get around them. It is horrible. During our July vacation, without the old FP+ system or Genie+, the wait times for rides were much less and the lines moved swiftly.

Resort guests, particularly DVC members, should still be able to get at least 3 FP+s per day without having to pay for them! Some accommodation must be made without having to enter the parks ½ hour prior to opening or staying up late one night for MK and one night for EPCOT to try to ride anything. For us, the Extended Evening Hours for MK AND EPCOT were rained out. As DVC members staying on property, we used to be able to plan ahead. We were able make FP+ reservations 60 days out and dining reservations 180 days out. Our trips could be well-planned without having to get up early, try to connect to inconsistent wi-fi signals as told to me by another VGF guest, and run into the parks early. That may be great for one-time guests but not for us loyal Disney vacationers. That isn’t a vacation! There has been a slow, but steady, erosion of WDW Resort Guest benefits.

Between all of these issues and the lousy weather, if this were my first time I wouldn’t return. I want to disconnect electronically while vacationing and not be glued to a smart phone all day to put one foot in front of the other. These issues need to be corrected, particularly for DVC members who spend a substantial amount of money at WDW. We will be returning this May and if the situation is not improved, it will sadly be our last trip! Please do not put the blame on the Pandemic for any of the above.

Further, with the new system, everyone is walking around the parks staring at their phones. They constantly crash into you or come to a dead stop on walkways causing you to trip or swerve to get around them. It is horrible. During our July vacation, without the old FP+ system or Genie+, the wait times for rides were much less and the lines moved swiftly.

Resort guests, particularly DVC members, should still be able to get at least 3 FP+s per day without having to pay for them! Some accommodation must be made without having to enter the parks ½ hour prior to opening or staying up late one night for MK and one night for EPCOT to try to ride anything. For us, the Extended Evening Hours for MK AND EPCOT were rained out. As DVC members staying on property, we used to be able to plan ahead. We were able make FP+ reservations 60 days out and dining reservations 180 days out. Our trips could be well-planned without having to get up early, try to connect to inconsistent wi-fi signals as told to me by another VGF guest, and run into the parks early. That may be great for one-time guests but not for us loyal Disney vacationers. That isn’t a vacation! There has been a slow, but steady, erosion of WDW Resort Guest benefits.
First of all, people walking around 'staring' at their phones likely has very little to do with Genie+. It's today's world no matter where you are. I'd be willing to bet many of the people are looking at things not G+ related. And like it or not, you are now very much in the minority with being unwilling to be connected via a smart devices.

As for DVC members getting perks, those discussions have gone on for years on these boards. We've been DVC since 93, and when we bought we knew we were getting access to amazing resorts and rooms. There is no reason DVC members should get extra FP's or G+ selections. None. That's not going to change by your May trip. And it didn't used to matter if you were a DVC member staying on-site or a cash guest staying on-site or a cash guest staying off-site to get ADRs 180 days out - nothing to do with DVC. Only advantage used to be on-site guests (DVC and non-DVC) got access to FP+ at 60 days instead of 30. If you want to be 'special' with all kinds of perks, you really need to look into investing in a Club 33 membership, if you can get one. That's the place to pay for the extra perks, not DVC.

And standby wait times with G+ are probably going to turn out to be very similar to standby wait times with FP+. It's tough to tell right now because of the crowds, so that remains to be seen.

First of all, people walking around 'staring' at their phones likely has very little to do with Genie+. It's today's world no matter where you are. I'd be willing to bet many of the people are looking at things not G+ related. And like it or not, you are now very much in the minority with being unwilling to be connected via a smart devices.

As for DVC members getting perks, those discussions have gone on for years on these boards. We've been DVC since 93, and when we bought we knew we were getting access to amazing resorts and rooms. There is no reason DVC members should get extra FP's or G+ selections. None. That's not going to change by your May trip. And it didn't used to matter if you were a DVC member staying on-site or a cash guest staying on-site or a cash guest staying off-site to get ADRs 180 days out - nothing to do with DVC. Only advantage used to be on-site guests (DVC and non-DVC) got access to FP+ at 60 days instead of 30. If you want to be 'special' with all kinds of perks, you really need to look into investing in a Club 33 membership, if you can get one. That's the place to pay for the extra perks, not DVC.

And standby wait times with G+ are probably going to turn out to be very similar to standby wait times with FP+. It's tough to tell right now because of the crowds, so that remains to be seen.

Sure, many people are on their phones, but with the new system it seems like everyone is on their phones in the parks all the time. I guess you don't notice it since you are staring at your phone.

I never said DVC members should get extra FPs or Genie+ selections. I stated "resort guests and DVC members" should be able to get at least 3FPs a day w/o cost. Further, resort guests and DVC members should not have to get up at 7 in the morning to make FPs. They should have an advantage like it use to be. Also, DVC members always had some extra perks like late nights in the parks just for members as an example.

Further, with the old FP system, we would be able to get other FPs after using the 3. Also, the parks, especially MK, were open later so one could go on rides w/o waits later at night. It was a rare occasion when we waited in a lengthy line for anything.

Sorry to hear you had such a terrible time on your trip but I think it will only get worse as time and technology happens. Hopefully you can find a happy balance to make your trips more enjoyable.

Get a smart phone or GET OUT should be Disneys new slogan.. cuz its legit impossible to enjoy your days without one.

Just like with fp+ you needed a PC to get the passes and alot of people HATED it and said "well not all people have a computer" well they didnt change it back than and I don't think they will change anything now.

Sorry you had a horrible trip OP I hope with being a dvc member you can figure out a solution to your new issues with the parks.

I totally agree that everyone should not have to get up at 7am during their vacation to plan their day.
I know there were plenty of posters here on the boards that (with the old system) would plan their fast passes for later in the day and sleep in, especially after attending after hour parties.
I feel there should be some changes made to accommodate different touring styles.

Another sad commentary on a visit to the new and improved Disney visit. You are not alone in your feelings and recent experiences at Disney.
I literally just canceled our upcoming Jan trip, all dining and experiences, our first one since 2019.
I’ve been wavering the last month or so and today was the day, I pulled the plug.
I won’t be rebooking any time soon. So, the “ value” of the unused tickets will go to others down the road… atleast that’s my understanding.
I refuse to wait hours again on another Disney call.
personally, it Saddens me.

I totally agree that everyone should not have to get up at 7am during their vacation to plan their day.
I know there were plenty of posters here on the boards that (with the old system) would plan their fast passes for later in the day and sleep in, especially after attending after hour parties.
I feel there should be some changes made to accommodate different touring styles.

I guess we're in a different mind-set than a lot of people. We are "out the door" before 7:00 most days so getting up to plan the day is just part of the process. We just got back and all but one of the days we were in line waiting to get into the parks at the 7:00 AM "witching hour". I guess I don't consider Disney World a "vacation" ... it's a "trip" which requires a lot of time and energy. A "vacation" is a week at the beach.

We just returned from our trip 12/18-12/23. I would say this was the most "unmagical" of all our trips. We go every 2 years with our 3 daughters and have for about 15 years now. I know Covid plays a role but it just feels like Disney's customer service isn't the same. Anywhere else and I would probably overlook it but, it's Disney, and like it or not....it's the expectation they set for themselves long ago.
The Genie + worked sometimes, and sometimes it didn't. Couple that with LL and the restrictions on when you can book another ride, was frustrating. Mobile ordering of your food was a pain and we were often missing items or had the wrong items once back at our villa. And maybe what bothers me the most....not once were any of my girls called "Princess". ;)
I won't say this is it for us but, for the expense of a week at Disney....I may start looking at other vacation options. :(

We are an every two year trip type of family that goes all in for 10 days at Contemporary. We go the 10 days before Thanksgiving week. I love Disney so started hearing rumblings of others who were unhappy and justified it’s not that bad.

we needed this vacation after or while dealing with pandemic. It was something we looked forward too~ we will get through this crazy time because we see Mickey in Nov. is what you heard often from us.

now that we are home I can honestly say we aren’t rebooking until a few things return if ever. Full parades are important to us. Calvacades are teasers. But better then Not seeing any characters.

Dining menus were all limited compared to other years. I am a shopper. Stores weren’t open and the merc selection was lack luster. We miss the meet and greets with a photographer.

with that said I am glad we were there for the 50th and we are lucky Disney was open. It’s just that it was noticeably a lot more $$$ vs prior years with perceived less experiences. Again we appreciate that WDW made a way to be open and I just wish we go back to some basics like FP and less lines.

I think it’s difficult to fully judge the parks with Covid restrictions still in place and I would be tempted to avoid going until things get back to normal…saying that we are going in March and June… We are expecting things to be different and not as magical as normal…but hope it won’t be long before things are normal again. Our trips will be different. As far as the OP goes not sure much can be done to make things better for you unless you are willing to either use a Smart phone or get up earlier. We tend to leave the parks when they get busy and never wait more than 20 mins for a ride.

I can be ok with the tech push if the tech works. I just got back from a 2 week trip. The resort hotel wifi stunk (WL and Poly) and I had to turn off wifi and use the cellular network to book my lightning lanes. The app sometimes freezes when booking lighting lanes at 7am. And sometimes when paying for an individual lightning lane, I would agree to pay for a certain time and by the time the transaction finished the LL time would be an hour later. Makes it quite hard to plan. I'm a huge Disney fan and have been going since '72, but as I get older this "race" they've created to book and get on rides isn't that much fun. And quite honestly I think it's almost impossible to ride many rides right now without using Genie+. The hotels and parks were REALLY crowded (end of Jan-early Feb). Chalking it up a bit to the 50th and covid fatigue, but I was surprised how busy everything was. As a result I no longer understand Disney maintaining the park reservation system. It was packed everyday I was there in every park, so they clearly aren't using the reservation system to control crowds. And it seems their recent earnings indicate they aren't controlling crowds. The best thing I saw the entire trip (and probably one of the cheapest for them to execute) was the Muppet's Rainbow Connection overlay at Spaceship Earth in Epcot. Now that was a good use of technology and better than Harmonious IMHO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter