Worrying about Flying with a "lap child"

I respectfully ask that folks refrain from this on SWA - here is why. TJ

When I have flown SWA, I always ask if there are seats available before boarding. This way you can use the seat if it is available without causing problems. I have seen situations where they have to cart the car seats back to the front of the plane and gate check them when it is time to go. Also, IMO, if I had children over 5yo, I would not fly SWA (or at least make sure I had an A boarding pass) and am surprised by the people who would risk doing this.

When I have flown SWA, I always ask if there are seats available before boarding. This way you can use the seat if it is available without causing problems.

Same here. We have flown with DS 4 times on SW. The only 2 times we flew with his carseat (as we were renting a car) there was an empty seat available. I asked politely at check in and again to the gate agent if they think there may be an empty seat.

Also, IMO, if I had children over 5yo, I would not fly SWA (or at least make sure I had an A boarding pass) and am surprised by the people who would risk doing this.

SWA puts *me* in control of where we sit, if I get my A bp's and arrive early, we are golden. We fly often, and SWA has never forced my child to sit alone, but AA, CO, Delta and NWA have, multiple times. (Which is telling, because we prefer SWA, and fly them probably 70% of domestic trips.)

SWA puts *me* in control of where we sit, if I get my A bp's and arrive early, we are golden. We fly often, and SWA has never forced my child to sit alone, but AA, CO, Delta and NWA have, multiple times. (Which is telling, because we prefer SWA, and fly them probably 70% of domestic trips.)

ITA I was going to post a similar response. I have been separated from my dd's more times than not when flying on AA and Delta despite booking early and originally having seats together. I even tried booking less desirable seats toward the back of the plane in hopes they would not be changed. Never fails, aircraft re-assignment or a slight time change and our seats are all over the aircraft.

On SWA I check in online, get an A boarding pass, get to the airport early and choose seats together. IMHO its worth the effort and responsibility.

I don't know why the familes on the flight I mentioned earlier were in the C line perhaps they didn't understand the system. I still find it unfair that folks (4 on that flight) tried to take seats for lap children they hadn't paid for leaving the last to board without seats.

TJ

[QUOTE

I don't know why the familes on the flight I mentioned earlier were in the C line perhaps they didn't understand the system. I still find it unfair that folks (4 on that flight) tried to take seats for lap children they hadn't paid for leaving the last to board without seats.

TJ[/QUOTE]

Not all parents with lap children do this. I have been asked quite rudely to "move my child" for seats that I have paid for, then HAD to show my tickets.

[QUOTE

TJ

Not all parents with lap children do this. I have been asked quite rudely to "move my child" for seats that I have paid for, then HAD to show my tickets.[/QUOTE]

Oh of course not and I didn't mean to imply that either:) I have also been asked more than once for the BP when I had purchaed my under 2 a seat.

However, the poster I originally replied to did take an empty seat she hadn't paid for and advised others to do this in hopes it would remain empty. On the flight I mentioned I do know that there were 4 lap babies because the FA's announced it. Something like "we are 4 seats short and we have 4 lap riders on the manifest and if they didn't free up immediately they would be going row by row to find the seats.

TJ

Oh of course not and I didn't mean to imply that either:) I have also been asked more than once for the BP when I had purchaed my under 2 a seat.

However, the poster I originally replied to did take an empty seat she hadn't paid for and advised others to do this in hopes it would remain empty. On the flight I mentioned I do know that there were 4 lap babies because the FA's announced it. Something like "we are 4 seats short and we have 4 lap riders on the manifest and if they didn't free up immediately they would be going row by row to find the seats.

TJ

That was me that you replied to. And I guess I am confused. In my post I said that I put my child there because I figure there will be an empty seat. Then a few people posted how they do the same thing but they are so polite that they first ask if there will be an empty seat on the plane and that seemed to be ok with you. (First of all, I too ask at the gate first if there will be an empty seat, but just didn't put that in my original post). But even if I didn't , I don't get what difference it makes. Even if you ask at the gate if there is an empty seat on the plane, the EXACT same situation you posted (where families with under 5s were separated and then a shuffle of seats followed) can (and probably will) occur. What difference is asking going to make? Others could still get separated. I sat here giggling reading these "holier than thou" posts because what the heck difference is asking if there is an empty seat going to make in that situation? The problem with the families being seaparated is because couples and others traveling together that are going to read and not talk to one another anyway refuse to change their seats for these people. Its not because I have to take my baby off a seat and put him in my lap - that would only free one seat, so it still wouldn't put a parent and child together. For that to happen, I would have to pick up my baby, then also volunteer to move to another seat. (Not saying I wouldn't do it, just saying my strategy of putting my baby on the seat has nothing to do with kids being separated from parents.)

I just cant believe what this thread turned into...sorry kind of entertaining. Dont worry for those of you that put your baby in a seat without paying for one..I did/do it too. Apparently there is a huge uproar about it. There are few things free in life, so when there is an opportunity to get one, you better believe I will use it. If I need to move the baby(and yes under 2, even 17 months is a BABY) I will do so. Even if sit my baby on my lap and my hubby is sitting next to me, chances are the seat will remain empty. Nobody wants to sit next to a baby...lol. Im sure most people ask if the plane is to full capacity before boarding anyway, so they have a heads up. This thread was to ease the OP mind about flying with a lap child. She wanted to hear experiences and tips. Not whats right or wrong. Just what worked for people to make the flight more comfortable. I told her too to bring the carseat and other little tricks. Like booking a window seat for her and isle for hubby. That way it leaves the middle seat and if the plane is fully booked, again nobody in their right mind would want to book a middleseat if they didnt have to. I dont know if that is right or wrong, but the airlines didnt object when I booked it. I even told her why and she accomadated my request. I have never seen such righteous people as the ones on the Dis board. I mean I love the board but wow.

I just cant believe what this thread turned into...sorry kind of entertaining. Dont worry for those of you that put your baby in a seat without paying for one..I did/do it too. Apparently there is a huge uproar about it. There are few things free in life, so when there is an opportunity to get one, you better believe I will use it. If I need to move the baby(and yes under 2, even 17 months is a BABY) I will do so. Even if sit my baby on my lap and my hubby is sitting next to me, chances are the seat will remain empty. Nobody wants to sit next to a baby...lol. Im sure most people ask if the plane is to full capacity before boarding anyway, so they have a heads up. This thread was to ease the OP mind about flying with a lap child. She wanted to hear experiences and tips. Not whats right or wrong. Just what worked for people to make the flight more comfortable. I told her too to bring the carseat and other little tricks. Like booking a window seat for her and isle for hubby. That way it leaves the middle seat and if the plane is fully booked, again nobody in their right mind would want to book a middleseat if they didnt have to. I dont know if that is right or wrong, but the airlines didnt object when I booked it. I even told her why and she accomadated my request. I have never seen such righteous people as the ones on the Dis board. I mean I love the board but wow.

:rotfl2: I "respectfully request" that I agree.

Talk about being self rightous! The OP was asking for advice. When advice was given, and you didn't like it, you all jumped all over us! If you don't want to hear what people have to say, don't ask!

I realize that this had been bantered back and forth but I have to chime in on the always buying my child a seat/always using a car seat side.

I travel on a plane, and a car the same way... assuming that THIS is the trip where an emergency of some kind (crash, turbulance, etc.)...and if this is that trip, I'm going to secure my child(ren) so that they are the safest that they possibly can.

That means in the car I make sure that their harness straps are very tight and their seats are secure, on a plane that means that I purchase a seat for them (if under 2yo) and make sure they are in a car seat as long as they still fit into an FAA approved seat.

Am I a "better" parent..nope...just one that knows the risks involved and even though the risk is low on a plane... there is still a risk that I can mitigate by securing my child in a car seat. God forbid if there was an emergency where my child was injured (or worse) when using a seat would have protected them, and I didn't use one... I would NEVER be able to forgive myself.

So every trip we purchase a seat for our under 2yo child (we are on our second now! :D) and every trip we use a car seat.

Dd (who is now 6yo and no longer needs a car seat on the plane) flew 5 times before she was 3.5yo and to be honest she slept on 9 out of 10 legs of our flights!

One of our flights to Orlando a family of four sat in front of us, mom, dad, dd ~4 and dd who was just under 2yo... as a lap child. They were MISERABLE the entire trip. The younger dd crawled all over them and both kids were whining/crying. The mom kept turning around looking at dd longingly as she slept for the majority of the trip.

So that is my long answer. We don't fly unless everyone has their own seat. If it came down to an emergency and we had to travel...I would give up something else or borrow $$... and still get a seat for my under 2yo child.

Talk about being self rightous! The OP was asking for advice. When advice was given, and you didn't like it, you all jumped all over us! If you don't want to hear what people have to say, don't ask!

im not jumping all over you..she just asked for anyone with experience and what their trips were like. Not right or wrong. And she stated she couldnt buy a seat now for her child. So she wanted to hear how it went for others. If it was a disaster for you, that was fine too. She just wanted to hear some problems and or solutions. Not go buy a ticket. I have flown both ways with my children and to be honest Im not sure the carseat made it any easier. He did stay in it but I still had to entertain him every waking minute. I actually think he entertained himself better when he wasnt in a seat, but then again an empty seat was available. Again not jumping all over you, just stating she wanted to hear experiences from parents, not what they witnessed from another so called family being miserable. Just what she can do to entertain her daughter and so forth.

does anyone know if there is a requirement to have a car seat? When we fly it my girls will be 3 and 5.

does anyone know if there is a requirement to have a car seat? When we fly it my girls will be 3 and 5.

I believe it is only under two with a seat must have a carseat. I know that boosters are NOT allowed, so unless you have a small 5-year old, I don't know how you'd get them into a carseat. :)

Not a requirement. I only bother taking one if I am going ot need it for a rental car when I get to destination.

If you are taking Magic Express, it is not required either.

Are you flying Southwest? If so, if there is even one available empty seat (unsold), they will allow you to use your car seat and have a seat for your child on the plane. We did this several times with our own son. We now have to purchase tickets for him as he is 2, but it worked out great to just take flights we know are NEVER full on Southwest, and use the car seat anyway. We also have the Baby B'Air vests in two sizes, which we use for times he has to be out of the car seat (diaper changes, nursing when he was smaller, etc.).

To be honest with you, I would not travel with a lap child ever again. I did it once when ds was 2 months old, because I had not yet realized how dangerous it is not to be strapped in a car seat during takeoff and landing. We had the Baby B'Air back then so he was secured in case of turbulence, but in an emergency I don't believe he would have been safe. I now consider it the same as not using a car seat when you believe you won't be in an accident. The point of an accident is that it's unexpected--better safe than sorry!

Another note: the Southwest flight we take down to FL (every trip, same flight, lol) is a late-evening one and it's never more than 40% full. Once it was about 25% full and it was almost eerily quiet/empty. I always called the day before the trip to make sure there would be an empty seat, and there were always dozens! If you can't be as certain, I wouldn't employ this method.

Thanks NemoMom, good to hear someone who had a positive experience.

I just sent DH an email (how we typically communicate during the day) asking if we can purchase the ticket for her.

If he says no, theres not a lot I can do other than be as prepared as possible with stuff to entertain her on our laps and pray everything goes smoothly

Not to be rude (honestly), but why is there not a lot you can do about it? If he said you couldn't take your child to the doctor or dentist, would you just say "okay" and not do it? I'm not suggesting you are bad parents at all, I'm just saying...if you honestly believe your child is at risk for possible harm without her own seat, why would you capitulate on that? Maybe I am just biased. I make 99% of all purchasing and travel decisions in this family. My dh rarely even offers his opinion on something unless it's a big deal to him, as he knows I will try to do the right thing. If he said no to something I honestly felt was important to our child's safety, I'd tell him "too bad" and go ahead and do as I saw fit. I'm not risking my child's safety (in my mind, with my standards, of course) to satisfy anyone else, period. Not even my husband. This isn't even a parenting decision (to spank or not to spank, to feed junk food or not, etc.)...it's a safety one. JMO.

ETA: We are also a one-income family. The way I see it, my primary job is to make sure my son's safety is secured as much as possible. After that comes everything else--household management, pleasing dh, etc. IF (again, I stress the conditinality of this statement) I believed (as I now do) that traveling as a lap child could be harmful to my child or even (god forbid) result in his death, then nothing my husband could say would make me agree to travel without him having his own seat and car seat. If it came down to it, I wouldn't go on the trip at all (although it would never happen here--I'm just saying). IF you are not convinced the seat is necessary for your child's safety, then that is a different story. I think you should do what you believe is best for your child, after all. But agreeing to do something you believe to be unsafe for your child just to make peace with your dh is something you could regret for the rest of your life in the very off chance your child actually is hurt. JMO.

for one I dont know why I am so involved in this post probably the rainy weather and nothing else to do. But anyway the question was no longer to buy or not to buy. It was to offer tips for a lap child! Secondly most airplane crashes are not on take off or landing but in midair and when the plane goes down im sorry to say but a carseat isnt gonna matter. I dont mean to sound cold and yes my child sits in a carseat in the car, but that is the law. Disney rides can be unsafe and bumpy as well. What about the rides there people have gotten hurt so should you not take your child on the rides. Anyway the OP wanted help on entertainment and problems that could arrise with solutions. Not buy a ticket. Like i said before I have never experienced any major disasters with a lap child. In a carseat or in the lap anything over 30 mins is gonna be tough with a child! You have to deal with it the best you can.

Ok folks - I posted my opinion and my experience and I did it nicely. Now I am getting sarcastic responses and being called "holier than thou" - nice. Point out where I said anything I did was "better" than anyone else?

I fly often, with and without kids and honestly was trying to be helpful. The post I replied to did not mention asking if there was an empty seat, I can't respond to info I don't have.

I still think taking a seat you haven't paid for "in hopes it will stay free" is wrong especially when the flight is full or near full. Asking the FA is a good idea since they can tell you if its going to be a problem ahead of time but I personally still wouldn't do it.

Finally - if anyone is still reading I do think it messes up the seating on SWA when people take seats for lap babies. Especially when the flight is full or near full and there are several and as I posted I have seen it happen.

TJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter