Worried about food in the parks....

MG3G

Mouseketeer
I'm planning DW for the first time since my parents took me 30 years ago!
I am on a strict low carb diet to control my blood sugar... it's not type2 but you could say it is for ease of understanding. My husband is a vegetarian. Will we be able to find enough things to eat in the parks at the same places? Should we forgo the meal plan? AND does Disney post their carb count anywhere? I need to be able to know ahead of time what is in everything I eat, or I spike and I'm not on insulin to control it.

I always found Disney to be above and beyond accommodating when it comes to food request.

You Husbands Vegetarianism shouldn't be a problem at all and with you low carbs as long as you either make sure you have that dietary requirement on your dinning reservation or grab one of the lovely people at the quick service they will, in my experience, bend over backwards to help.

On our trip before last we had in our party of 11 that included a Veggie, a Gluten Free, a nut allergy, as seafood allergy and a someone who would eat anything that had coconut in it - so it was fun every time we sat down to eat, but Disney couldn't be more helpful and everyone got something really yummy and enjoyable to eat.

WDW does not have carb counts, so bring a guidebook or download an app. They will tell you what the ingredients are if you ask. Also, if you are like me and can't judge portion sizes, bring a small measuring cup (like a 1/2 cup size?) to help with measurements.

disney doe not do carb count for there food I suggest you down load calorie king app and just eat foods that you know are lower in carbs.

so are you type 2D ( or pre Diabetes) if so with all the walking you do at Disney you may find you can eat more carbs then you normally can.

disney doe not do carb count for there food I suggest you down load calorie king app and just eat foods that you know are lower in carbs.

so are you type 2D ( or pre Diabetes) if so with all the walking you do at Disney you may find you can eat more carbs then you normally can.

I'm not type 2 - I'm sort of pre. I have a rare disorder and we aren't sure if that is affecting my blood sugar or not... or what is going on. I have the physical symptoms of being diabetic, without the consistently high blood sugar to go with it. I swing from too high, to low, and spend most of my time in normal. My dr doesn't have me on medication because clinically I'm "normal" most of the time - I just have to really watch my diet so I don't get those crazy highs. I have an odd body - lol. It's easier to say I'm type 2 and call it done :)

Also I won't be walking so no treats for me. :( My disease is neurological and affects movement and stamina. I did ok on our last DL trip with pacing, the scooter, fast past, and DAS and hope to do the same in the DW. I was REALLY disappointed that we must use our passes in only 14 days! We wanted to have a 10 day pass and do it over a month. I'm worried I'll get too tired trying to do 10 of 14 days. We are probably going to spend less time in DW now because of that.

I'm not type 2 - I'm sort of pre. I have a rare disorder and we aren't sure if that is affecting my blood sugar or not... or what is going on. I have the physical symptoms of being diabetic, without the consistently high blood sugar to go with it. I swing from too high, to low, and spend most of my time in normal. My dr doesn't have me on medication because clinically I'm "normal" most of the time - I just have to really watch my diet so I don't get those crazy highs. I have an odd body - lol. It's easier to say I'm type 2 and call it done :)
You would be surprised at how many people are like you. Where they just do not know what is going on.

Do you have a meter to test your BG since you go high and low I would test often while at Disney do not skip meal.

To suit both you and your husband I highly suggest the buffet restaurants. Each park has them. Then, you can choose what you want to eat and how much of it, as well. You do need advance reservations for table dining. Some of the resorts have buffet meals, too.

I agree that I would monitor my blood sugars more. Then, if you have a high or low reading you can compensate accordingly.

There are quick service restaurants that serve veggie burgers. Many places have a pasta offering.

Also I won't be walking so no treats for me. :( My disease is neurological and affects movement and stamina. I did ok on our last DL trip with pacing, the scooter, fast past, and DAS and hope to do the same in the DW. I was REALLY disappointed that we must use our passes in only 14 days! We wanted to have a 10 day pass and do it over a month. I'm worried I'll get too tired trying to do 10 of 14 days. We are probably going to spend less time in DW now because of that.
I don't know if you already have bought your tickets, but you may want to look into annual passes instead of regular passes.
You may find the total cost for AP might not be much more than your 10 day passes. With an AP, you would have park hopping and could spread your days out over a whole month. Also, we sometimes only go for a few hours to a park. Sometimes DD is not up to going earlier, sometimes she has a seizure or something that cuts the day short. With APs, we don't feel like we have wasted a day if we are only at the park a short time.

Even if you have already bought your tickets, you may be able to upgrade to an AP (some special deal tickets might not be upgradeable.

1) At TS eateries, you both should be fine, as you can talk to the chef.
. . . they can prepare "low carb"
. . . they can customize a veggie plate
2) At QS eateries, the chances are slim for success.
. . . there are no chefs at QS
. . . you speak to managers or their delegates for allergies or alternate selections
. . . they do not customize food choices, and just take/add ingredients from a pre-selected listing
3) If you are low-carb, you know what to avoid, so you should be able to manage your own routine.
. . . eat the meat, and stay away form the burger's bun
. . . skip the fries
. . . etc
4) Your husband's veggie choice can be met, but look for slim pickin's and few alternatives at QS places (mainly veggie burgers).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter