• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

World vs Land confussion

Percentage of non-DISers that know DisneyLand is in CA and DisneyWorld is in FL

• 0-25%

• 25-50%

• 50-75%

• 75-100%

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've always known...guess I'm just up on my Disney history! :teacher:

How many people call the Magic Kingdom "Disney World"? I was once behind a mom and son in Epcot and she said "we're going to Disney World tomorrow". Ah, you are in Disney World now......

OMG! Do you know how many times I've had to explain the DisneyLand vs. Magic Kingdom to people!!!

Whenever we go, we get back and people ask, '...so what's Disneyland like there?' And then the glazed over stares I get as I explain that Disneyworld isn't just one park like in Cali, it's 4 theme parks, 2 huge water parks, DisneyQuest, DTD, etc....OY!

How many people call the Magic Kingdom "Disney World"? I was once behind a mom and son in Epcot and she said "we're going to Disney World tomorrow". Ah, you are in Disney World now......

That's one of my biggest pet peeves!! I don't know why it annoys me so much :)

well, at least these people know there IS a park with a castle...my family seems to think "Disneyworld" means "Epcot" only. It's like they think the Magic Kingdom is a preschoolers playground or something...and they don't even know about the other 2 theme parks:rotfl:

How many people call the Magic Kingdom "Disney World"? ......

For those of us who have been going since the beginning, when there was only MK, the two names are synonymous. I call it Disney all the time and I've been more times than I can remember.

What percentage of non-DISers know that Disneyland is in CA and DisneyWorld is in FL?

My first trip to WDW was in 1973, and I was two yrs old. Living on the East Coast, we have always gone to DW, so it's all I have known.

I would guess most West Coasters are used to DL, so same situation.

Probably for people who don't get into Disney, or those who don't live regionally near one of the Disneys, maybe it all morphs into one name.

My sister and mother always say Disney"land" and it drives me CRAZY!! Thankfully I'm taking them with us next week so hopefully this will clear the confusion for now on.

For those of us who have been going since the beginning, when there was only MK, the two names are synonymous. I call it Disney all the time and I've been more times than I can remember.

I was just going to add this. Back 'in the day', MK is all we had :)

Yup. My first trip was in July 1972.

waitin for a bus several years ago at POR. two older ladys in front of me. bus stops, door opens, one says, is this the bus we want? driver, where do you want to go?. she says, Disney World. driver, you are there so where do you want to go, she says, Disney World. driver, i said you are there so where do you want to go? this goes on for a bit and by now im a bit miffed at the driver cause he knows whats going on and is being an *** about it. well it is the magic kingdom bus so i just tapped her on the shoulder and said this bus will take you where you want to go. but yes i hear it all the time at work. were going to disney world and epcot and the zoo and universal.

:thumbsup2 THANK YOU!!!!! :thumbsup2

My first trip was in the 1970's. There was no EPCOT, no MGM-now DHS, no AK. No Shopping Village - now DTD.
MK = WDW.

I think it is kind of petty and queer to fixate on the MK/WDW issue as the one that separates those "in the know" from the drooling idiots. At least those of us who call MK "WDW" have a logical reason for doing so. It is not ignorance but tradition.

:thumbsup2 THANK YOU!!!!! :thumbsup2

My first trip was in the 1970's. There was no EPCOT, no MGM-now DHS, no AK. No Shopping Village - now DTD.
MK = WDW.

I think it is kind of petty and queer to fixate on the MK/WDW issue as the one that separates those "in the know" from the drooling idiots. At least those of us who call MK "WDW" have a logical reason for doing so. It is not ignorance but tradition.
RRRRRROOOOOOOWWWWWWLLLLL.:)

I think the majority of people I know realise that WDW is Florida and DL is Cali (the reason for this is probably that I've driven them mad with WDW talk:lmao: ). However I was speaking to one of my colleagues the other week about WDW and he said he'd like to visit the park with the dolls house:confused3 . I said do you mean the castle?:upsidedow

I think the majority of people I know realise that WDW is Florida and DL is Cali (the reason for this is probably that I've driven them mad with WDW talk:lmao: ). However I was speaking to one of my colleagues the other week about WDW and he said he'd like to visit the park with the dolls house:confused3 . I said do you mean the castle?:upsidedow
maybe he meant IASW.

Thanks for explaining that. My first trip was not until 1994, so I never thought to call MK "DisneyWorld".

When I was younger I used to call MK disney land and it drove my step sis up the wall and she used to say very loudly disney land is in CA

Honestly......... Until this year I thought that DisneyWorld was only Epcot and MK.... I had no idea that there was 2 more parks!!!! What a surprise when I started to book WDW for Jan 09!!!!!:lmao:
Living on the west coast i can tell you all you want to know about DL but I am totally in the dark with WDW! Looking forward to the adventure!!!!:yay:

I know it. I've always known it. How I would ever hazard a guess as to what percentage of people on these boards actually do know is where I get confused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter