WONDERing to Alaska on June 9-16th 2014 (Day 5 Posted on 7/11)

Lol

Looks like great minds think alike.

DH was on the fence about the photo cd until he saw your pictures.
I can't wait to hear about the rest of your cruise.

Still really enjoying your trip report! It's making me so excited. Less than four weeks to go for my cruise now. :yay:

I am loving you report. I have kids close to the age of your girls, so your info is very helpful.
Did you preorder your photo cd?
Do you know how much it is on the ship?
We leave next week for the July 7th cruise.

Thanks so much.

I did not preorder it because at the time I didn't think there was any savings. I now understand that I could have saved $50 by pre-ordering and wish I'd done it.
On the ship, a 6/7 night cruise is $349 for the CD, and $100 more if you want the prints (used to be $50 a year ago).

I don't think I'll be getting much more posted before you leave. If you have any other questions, PM me!

I did not preorder it because at the time I didn't think there was any savings. I now understand that I could have saved $50 by pre-ordering and wish I'd done it.
On the ship, a 6/7 night cruise is $349 for the CD, and $100 more if you want the prints (used to be $50 a year ago).

I don't think I'll be getting much more posted before you leave. If you have any other questions, PM me!

I might take you up on that offer. Thanks:)

Pictures are down until 6/30, my apologies, but I'm too cheap to pay PhotoBucket to get them back four days earlier.

I'm also packing for our trip north, if anyone has any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Especially if you are traveling soon.

One other thing that I just read about on DisBoards .... There was an offer for a free 50MB internet package in the 1st day's Navigator. I never saw it, but I did check and it was there. It would have been nice to use!

Photo CD - we ended up with 161 pictures on the CD. We did photos each night before and after dinner. We did characters that were new to us, the Alaskan outfits, and the Princess gathering. I know that it is expensive, but I love having the pictures, it's a splurge. I know you can have them take pictures with your camera, but it's not the same without their flash set up, and I love the borders.

Just came across your TR and enjoying what I have read so far. Can't wait to see your pics when they come back up. :)

One other thing that I just read about on DisBoards .... There was an offer for a free 50MB internet package in the 1st day's Navigator. I never saw it, but I did check and it was there. It would have been nice to use!

Saw this on disboards b/4 we left and saw it in the Navigator on day 1. It worked out great for us. We had 2 rooms and signed up for 2 accounts. The 100mb was enough to check our email once or twice a day.

It's a handy and easy to use bonus.

How did the photo package work? Is there a card that you ask the photographer to scan before/after a shot like with Photopass at the parks?

I read the fine print and it states no staring between state rooms...but I was thinking that this would be a nice gift for my inlaws who are treating us (along with DH SIL and BIL families) this Christmas. Would it be possible to have all of us on one package?

And looking forward to some pictures on 6/30. We just moved to Seattle and plan on booking a cruise in the next year or two.

Thanks for all of your great information!!!

How did the photo package work? Is there a card that you ask the photographer to scan before/after a shot like with Photopass at the parks?

I read the fine print and it states no staring between state rooms...but I was thinking that this would be a nice gift for my inlaws who are treating us (along with DH SIL and BIL families) this Christmas. Would it be possible to have all of us on one package?

Photo Packages - for photo back drops/character shots they ask for your stateroom key card. For wandering photographers (dinners and Tracy Arm) they rely on facial recognition.

If you have children under 18 split between two staterooms, they'll give you all the shots that include your children. But your parents would be a separate room, and be a separate package (for all pictures on a CD purposes). All the pictures that include your immediate family is one CD, all the pictures of just your parents would be another. However, you can get a second CD for half price. Of course if you have pictures of your family that include your parents, you can would have those on YOUR CD if you have given them your card.

Hope that makes sense.

Skagway.
Up at 6am, looking out the window at 6:30 saw us come to a stop, and then slowly turn to pull into port.

We had planned on doing laundry, but our 2nd floor laundry room was “temporarily unavailable”, and I was not willing to haul it from floor two to floor six or seven (wherever the next laundry room is)

Got moving slowly as we had no firm events until 1pm we made it up to the buffet at about 8. As not many people want to eat outside in 55 degree weather, the buffet seating is very crowded in the mornings.

No hashbowns this morning, much to our disappointment. But French toast, omelets, pastries were eaten. Plus a little muesli for me. Thanks to whomever said it was delicious, you are so right!

Back to the room to grab jackets (noted the laundry room was available again), and off the ship at deck 4. By the time we came back to board the ship before lunch, the gangplank was moved to deck three. That's how much the tides sway here in Alaska.

It’s quick (but not scenic) walk up to Skagway. As you’d expect the port is pretty industrial. It was fun to see the helicopters taking off right at the dock (we could also see them on our room).

We saw the welcome to Skagway sign, the snow plow car, the National Park Service museums (worth the walkthrough), shopping, shopping, shopping (Alaska ornaments, hats, and t-shirts were bought). We window shopped a lot too. Made it to the end and walked back the other side.

Wonder on the right, Holland America on the left. I'll post pictures of the Grand Princess and the Regatta later.

There are three Park Service exhibit buildings, the main one near the railroad where we saw these displays

I wish my other shot turned out, this shows the year's worth of supplies you were required to have to get into the Yukon.

The second is about halfway down the street in what was a bar. (no pictures)

The third is the Jr. Ranger Station on the other side of the street. If you have children, the Park Service Jr. Ranger Station is not to be missed. It opened at 10am, right as we walked by. There are six stations, including one with all sorts of pelts, and one where they can try on period clothing. Apparently if they complete three of these activities at different stations they can earn there Alaskan Junior Ranger Certificate , and will get a cool patch. There are ones at Mendenhall and Ketchikan, so we will be trying for that.

Current vs Gold Rush era supplies

Otter pelt - So soft... we'd learned at one of the talks that they had more hairs per square inch on their back than we have on our whole head.

They passed! (Being sworn in as Jr. Rangers)

Random shirt (that I took a picture of for my sister)

Cool building, that's all driftwood. AB is Arctic Brotherhood, a fraternity founded in 1899. We actually went inside. They have lots of flyers, and could help you plan your day.

One more shopping stop (Alaska Shirt Traiding Co had $9.99 shirt/hat combos) and we were headed back toward the ship. It was incredibly windy. REALLY really windy. I stopped at the M&M Tour booth as a windbreak while I waited for the family to get on board so I could take a picture of them on the ship. I mentioned that we were on the 1pm tour, and she asked if I could pay now as it would be easier for both of us.

The blob under the life boats is my family.

Back on board we did laundry, put some purchases away, watched some Phineas and Ferb, and headed to the buffet at noon.

Helicopter Flight to Glacier

Time for the big event! I only wrote down four lines notes, so I'll be doing this all from memory (and pictures)

We booked our helicopter flight directly with M&M Tours. You can no longer book directly with Temsco, the helicopter company. We were booked for 1:30, and since I had stopped at the M&M shack on our way back to the ship, I was told to walk right to the helicopter facility. Don't know why I didn't take pictures, but the facility is SO close to the ship. Closer than town.

Once we got in the building, we checked in. I'm glad I brought my receipt from this morning, because they did want to see it. They do weigh all adults, and will charge you an extra $150 if you are over 250 pounds. My husband and I are closer to that (fully clothed in jackets and boots) than I care to admit. I actually think this a BS move since we had a private excursion and there were only four of us. Obviously my 11-year olds are less than 100 pounds, and I did not get a break on their seat price.

But there was hot chocolate and coffee to drink, nice bathrooms and benches to sit on. I knew ahead of time, that no bags of any kind were allowed on the helicopter, so I had my camera around my neck, and Scott had the video camera in his pocket. They do have common "lockers" for you to put your items in (one for everyone going out at the same time), and the employees put a padlock on it while you are gone.

Eventually we were called over to watch a safety video, and donned with life jacket vests and snow boots. These boots go OVER the shoes/boots you were wearing, and have metal 'cleats'.

Since we booked on our own, we were going out on our own. There was another group of 13 that came in right as we finished our briefing. Oddly enough, we never saw them when we were out on the glacier, so I have no idea where they landed.

It was 1:30 by the time we made it outside...

Another flight going in or out... can't remember

Our helicopter pilot was already there doing preflight checks.

I do not want to admit how young Kelley looked. But he was very professional. The helper told us where we were going to sit, but then the pilot over ruled her since an adult needed to sit in the back right seat due to it being an emergency exit seat. So Emma was in the middle front, Scott next to her. Kate was in the back behind the pilot, and I was behind Scott.

All smiles now (she did NOT like the helicopter flight. Again, I think she is very motion sensitive)

Horrible shot, but that's the Wonder! You can see how close the helicopter facility is to the Wonder dock.

We donned our headphones so we could hear the pilot's talk, and took off.

From a distance, it looks like tire tracks. The lines are rocks and show where two glaciers 'came together'. The rocks

This is all the Meade glacier. It's hard to get a sense of scale, but it's five miles across. This glacier (and most) are all part of the Juneau ice field.

One of the smaller glaciers in the valley

Not landing there!

Edge of the glacier where a 'lake' has formed. Eventually the water will work its way underneath the glacier and disappear.

Our flight in was about 20 minutes. Kelley was a very good tour guide, pointing out things, and giving us information.

Following your report.....we just signed up for the DVC Member cruise in May 2015, just starting to research. PS your girls are so adorable!

Landing on the Glacier

So now the REALLY fun part, landing on the glacier! Kelley circled around looking for a good spot, and we he hopped, and we finally settled on about the third or fourth hop.

This is actually Kelley and the girls getting back on the helicopter, but who says pictures have to be in order.

Bear with me... there are TONS of pictures. And it's really hard to figure out which ones to post!

There is that BRILLIANT blue. As the glacier melts, streams form on the glacier. The blue ice is that which hasn't been exposed to air.

These 'rivers' will get deeper and wider as the summer goes on.

Everyone but me had a pole. The girls were obsessed with poking things (I was taking pictures, so no pole for me).

Big rocks shade the glacier from the sun, so the ice doesn't melt underneath them, leaving them perched higher than the surrounding area.

Quite possibly next year's Christmas card photo.

More rocks, looking down the glacier

Trying not to lose sight of the helicopter!

The closest they were together the entire time.... I swear it was like herding cats. The girls were all over the place. They would have gone further, and I kept having to reel them back in. I am SO glad it was just us, so we could let them have some free time and they weren't having to follow a bigger group around.

Little leaf -

Big rocks shade the ice and remain on top. Small rocks absorb the heat, and cause the ice around it to melt faster.

This is one of the "tracks" in the glaciers, where two glaciers merged together.

Last look...

I gave Scott the camera in the front of the helicopter for the ride back. We swapped Kate and Emma hoping that would help with Kate feeling off. It didn't. I think she said it was worse.

Receding glacier....

Skagway

Back on land...

In summary - 20 minute flight, 40 minutes on the glacier, 20 minute flight. It was awesome. Truly awe inspiring. The girls LOVED it. It was the highlight of the their trip, and mine too. It was expensive but worth every, single, penny.

So we went back to the room, took off all our weather gear, and I'm sure the girls headed for Edge. Scott and I headed to Outlook Cafe. I took some pictures of the other ships on the way (I obsessively take pictures of other ships in port. I don't know why).

(it looks like a mommy and baby ship!)

Someone finally got his beer mug! NOTE!!! This rings up as a "Non-alcoholic drink" purchase on your room bill. That caused a bit of confusion later.

We went down to the Promenade Lunge for Disney Trivia. It was multiple choice. We lost.

The girls had been told they had to meet us at 5:20 for Captain Jack Sparrow, and they appeared right on time. We were the third or fourth person in line.

He's awesome. As always.

Or maybe this is the Christmas card....

Last cruise I picked out who was "Friend of" Jack Sparrow from the character staff. This year I did not. I'm wondering if Jack's friend was a member of the entertainment group.

We ran into Captain Hook on the way to dinner. He was just wandering, so no formal pictures.

Dinner - Animator's Palate for Dinner Show

Appetizer - I had the Black Truffle Past Pursettes. Incredibly rich, and incredibly delicious.

Then the girls and I had Baked Potato and Cheddar Cheese soup, it was wonderful.

Main Course - Scott had the Ginger Teriaki dusted Angus Beef Tenderloin with wasabi mashed potatoes, and tamarind-barbecue reduction. He did not think the potatoes were spicy enough, but the steak and sauce were wonderful.

The girls had the Lemon -Thyme Marinated Chicken Breasts and enjoyed it.
I had the Herb Crusted Veal Chop. Not only was the chop excellent, the sun-dried tomato risotto was out of this world. I can still taste it as I write this.

For dessert Kate had make your own pie (a deconstructed lemom-raspberry curd pie) and the sundae of the day. Emma just had the sundae.

Scott had the Crunchy Walnut Cake (not as good as the brownied in Palo). I had the Sweet Temptations of White Chocolate Fudge Cheesecake (pretty good), the lemon raspberry tart (excellent!) and the chilled mango mouse (delicious)!

After dinner we went to Shutters to check on our pictures. We determined that the pictures from last night did not turn out so well, so we needed some more. But I did purchase the package at this time. I paid at the register, but he told me to order it at the screen too. This led to be being charged twice, but they reversed the charge before I even knew about it.

So, knowing we were going to take more pictures, we went back to the room to change. Disney shirts it is!

Totally different props tonight. So even though it's the same white background, if the line is not too long it's worth checking out...

My weakling. It took so long for her to figure out HOW to hold this!

Tonight's show was Maleficent in the big theater. None of us had seen it yet. We got there a little late (pictures!) so were seated pretty far back. I found the lights over the doors terribly distracting (they would reflect on your glasses lenses.) The movie was good, but it was a long day and neither of my kids made it to the end (around 9:45).

It was back to the room for an EARLY day in Juneau tomorrow!

All our cruises have been to the Caribbean. Dh and I would like our next one to be to Alaska. After reading your trip report, I think it should be recommended reading for anyone considering a DCL cruise to Alaska. Between your narration and your photos, you answer just about any question a person could have about a Disney cruise to Alaska.

Christmas photo - I like the one of all of you in cold weather clothing on an excursion.
Husband with book and beer --That is my husband's favorite on-board activity.

The only thing I am wondering is whether standing on a port-side balcony would be just as good as being on the main decks during to passage through the glaciers.

The only thing I am wondering is whether standing on a port-side balcony would be just as good as being on the main decks during to passage through the glaciers.

Thank you for your very kind words. Here's my opinion on the verandah. And it must be taken with a grain of salt, because we've stayed in two oceanview rooms (although my parents had a verandah, so I did spend some time out there).

The verandah gives you a very limited site lines. You can only see so far to the left, to the right, and even up. Being up on 10, you get to appreciate it all around you. Numerous times, we weren't just looking at what was on our side of the boat, but what was on the other side as well (what we could see above the deck). I know others say they'd never do Alaska without a verandah, but I really felt it was too cold for that in early June. The enclosed Outlook Cafe was our favorite viewing location.

I'm *loving* your review. We just booked Alaska in 2015, so this has been incredibly helpful (and entertaining!). And your girls are *adorable*. Love the pictures you were able to capture of them on the boulder at the glacier!

Another great update!

The helicopter glacier excursion looked awesome. I'm so glad you all had a good time. :thumbsup2 What a fun experience!

Your family pictures are adorable. Very sweet!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter