Wondering about taking train from Disneyland to Santa Barbara -- UPDATE -- I did it!

aboveH20

DIS Veteran
:wave2:It's so much cheaper to plan trips than to take them, so I spend lot of time thinking about the next trip.

I'm wondering about visiting my sons in California. Well, I'm actually thinking about going to Disneyland, but justifying it (just went to Aulani in February) by calling it a trip to visit my sons. :rotfl2:

One lives in West Hollywood and one lives in Santa Barbara. I really don't want to rent a car, but I do want to be independent of my sons for transportation. How hard/easy would it be to take the train from Disneyland to Santa Barbara and back? :confused3 And, if you're familiar with Santa Barbara, is the train station within walking distance of town?

Should I just rent a car? Don't really want to, seems like that takes some of the adventure out of the trip. :car:

UPDATE I can't believe I actually booked the trip.

Somewhere along the line it occurred to me that I can fly out of Santa Barbara instead of returning to Disneyland.

NEW QUESTION -- Hotel suggestions in Santa Barbara? I'm thinking Holiday Inn because I'm a member of their loyalty program, but also thinking of trying Hotwire.

:wave2:It's so much cheaper to plan trips than to take them, so I spend lot of time thinking about the next trip.

I'm wondering about visiting my sons in California. Well, I'm actually thinking about going to Disneyland, but justifying it (just went to Aulani in February) by calling it a trip to visit my sons. :rotfl2:

One lives in West Hollywood and one lives in Santa Barbara. I really don't want to rent a car, but I do want to be independent of my sons for transportation. How hard/easy would it be to take the train from Disneyland to Santa Barbara and back? :confused3 And, if you're familiar with Santa Barbara, is the train station within walking distance of town?

Should I just rent a car? Don't really want to, seems like that takes some of the adventure out of the trip. :car:

Taking the train from DLR is relatively easy. You just need to get yourself to the Anaheim Station which is very close. You have several options to get there depending on which variable is priority (cost/schlepping luggage/etc.). I don't know about the station in SB. The train is great to SB and back. If you can make it work, it's a fun adventure.

- Dreams

The train station in SB is not really quite within walking distance of much. If you really don't want to rely on your kids for transportation, then the best thing to do is rent a car. The drive from Santa Barbara down to Thousand Oaks is really pretty and goes right along the ocean. And, honestly, renting a car would probably be cheaper than the train....which is prone to lots of delays, break downs, etc.

If you don't have to be anywhere at a specific time, then sure take the train. Otherwise, don't bother. I took the train from SB back home in college and it was a royal pain in the neck.

I live in SB. I wouldn't say the train station is within walking distance of hotels & town but definitely a short cab ride away :)

Taking the train from DLR is relatively easy. You just need to get yourself to the Anaheim Station which is very close. You have several options to get there depending on which variable is priority (cost/schlepping luggage/etc.). I don't know about the station in SB. The train is great to SB and back. If you can make it work, it's a fun adventure.

- Dreams

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm thinking of staying at Disneyland Hotel a couple nights, taking the train to Santa Barbara for two nights and then retuning to the Grand Californian for a couple nights. I'm wondering/hoping if I could store my suitcase with Mickey and just take a backpack to Santa Barbara. Don't know if that's possible or not.

The train station in SB is not really quite within walking distance of much. If you really don't want to rely on your kids for transportation, then the best thing to do is rent a car. The drive from Santa Barbara down to Thousand Oaks is really pretty and goes right along the ocean. And, honestly, renting a car would probably be cheaper than the train....which is prone to lots of delays, break downs, etc.

If you don't have to be anywhere at a specific time, then sure take the train. Otherwise, don't bother. I took the train from SB back home in college and it was a royal pain in the neck.

I hear you about the unreliability of trains. Last time I rented a car in California my older son and I were college hunting and we got lost every single place we went! I guess GPS would take care of that. I'll have to check about parking at Disneyland. We just paid $35/day to park at Aulani. :eek:

I live in SB. I wouldn't say the train station is within walking distance of hotels & town but definitely a short cab ride away :)

My son in Santa Barbara has a car, truck and motorcycle, so I suppose I could borrow one. :moped:

Do you have a suggestion for a hotel to stay in, a place to take my son and his girlfriend to dinner, and anything else to do in Santa Barbara?

I feel like such a fish out of water planning a trip to Disneyland for the first time in over ten years.

:confused3 Is there a fee to park at Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian for registered guests? It may make a difference whether I rent a car or try the train.

I feel like such a fish out of water planning a trip to Disneyland for the first time in over ten years.

:confused3 Is there a fee to park at Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian for registered guests? It may make a difference whether I rent a car or try the train.

Yes. $15/day for self-park, $22/day for valet parking.

I live 90 miles north of Santa Barbara and take the train to Anaheim whenever I can. It's so nice not to fight traffic and to be able to get up and walk around. And if you can get a window seat on the ocean side the scenery is beautiful.

It's less than 2 miles from the Anaheim Amtrak station and usually costs $15 including tip to get to the station by taxi.

I'm not sure what's around the train station, but it is a beautiful station close to the beach.

For dinner we just dined at Trattoria Mollie. OMG, the linguine with clams was the best ever and her homemade turkey meatballs are to die for. She makes these little shortbread lemon glazed cookies too for after the meal. They sell just beer and wine. Believe it or not, it was reasonably priced, before the wine anyway. ;) One of the best meals I have ever had anywhere. :thumbsup2

Yes. $15/day for self-park, $22/day for valet parking.

Ouch. That adds up for an extended trip. Thanks for the info.

I live 90 miles north of Santa Barbara and take the train to Anaheim whenever I can. It's so nice not to fight traffic and to be able to get up and walk around. And if you can get a window seat on the ocean side the scenery is beautiful.

It's less than 2 miles from the Anaheim Amtrak station and usually costs $15 including tip to get to the station by taxi.

I'm not sure what's around the train station, but it is a beautiful station close to the beach.

Thanks for adding some details about the area. My younger son hasn't been to Disneyland since moving to CA so it occurred to me that I should ask him if he wants to meet me before making plans to meet him! Of course, I must admit that taking the train appeals to my sense of adventure.

For dinner we just dined at Trattoria Mollie. OMG, the linguine with clams was the best ever and her homemade turkey meatballs are to die for. She makes these little shortbread lemon glazed cookies too for after the meal. They sell just beer and wine. Believe it or not, it was reasonably priced, before the wine anyway. ;) One of the best meals I have ever had anywhere. :thumbsup2

Yum. Thanks for the recommendation. My starving-college-student son somehow has the money to home brew beer, so the limited beverage menu wouldn't bother him. :stir:

The train ride from Anaheim to Santa Barbara was great. It was easy to get to the train station by taxi from Disneyland and then I had a very enjoyable 3.5 hour ride, sometimes along the coast, sometimes inland up to Santa Barbara. I stayed at the Holiday Inn in SB so was able to walk the two blocks from the train station to the hotel.

Thank you again for all who took the time to reply.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter