Without telling your age, what is something from your childhood that kids today wouldn't know about?

The scene where it goes from black and white to color...... I thought in the middle of making the movie, color film was suddenly invented. Had no idea of the effect they were going for.

Do you know what's amazing about that scene? They filmed it ALL in color, but created a sepia-toned bedroom set and clothes/makeup for Dorothy so that they could get the look into Oz all in one shot.

Last edited:
Cars with no seat belts, S&H green stamps, Howdy Doody puppets, lawn darts, real milk shakes that didn't make you burst all the capillaries in your face trying to drink them with a straw, connected were malts. Captain Kangaroo when he had a black jacket with huge pockets, no calculators, going for a ride on summer evenings to get a Frozen Custard (man, I can still taste them), sitting in front of a black and white TV with a single oscillating fan that gave you a flash of "cool" air every few minutes. Party line phones. Gas @ 27 cents per gallon. Road side Carnivals. Everywhere was a smoking section.

ooh - someone mentioned Loves Baby Soft which I so remember, but I've got another good one - ladies? How much of this stuff did we slather on? Bubble gum lip gloss!!!:lovestruc

View attachment 531586

ooh - your post reminded me of these little beauties,

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 7.44.21 PM.png

I'd have one of those in my Jordache pinstripe jeans
Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 7.49.00 PM.png

playing some Chinese Jump Rope at recess (in, out, side, side, in, on) ;)
Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 7.45.37 PM.png

Bandstand (later American Bandstand)......I give it a 82. I liked the beat and it was easy to dance to.

Bandstand started in Phila. There were other shows, I think were local. But I'm curious It if anyone outside of Phila know these shows. One was the Gene London show , Pixanne and the Sally Star show...
And Captain Noah!

Speaking of recess ...

kids today wouldn't know that burn from a hot metal slide (or the one rivet that could give you a nice gash.)
View attachment 531840

After you burned the back of your legs on the slide, you took your chances on injury-go-round. Oops, I meant merry-go-round. 😜
View attachment 531842
It was real fun to jump onto the only space available on one of these, then discover the space was available because the handle was covered in barf.

Made of glass and it wasn't a holdiday unless at least one set exploded.
View attachment 531766
FWIW, Clackers were not glass; just acrylic plastic, though they could definitely shatter into jagged pieces. I had several sets, and I accidentally partially melted one of them by leaving it in the sun all day on a reflective metal surface. My dad actually made me a wooden set out of walnut (I think he did it mostly for the challenge of seeing if he could make perfectly round balls. Took him a few tries.)

FWIW, Clackers were not glass; just acrylic plastic, though they could definitely shatter into jagged pieces. I had several sets, and I accidentally partially melted one of them by leaving it in the sun all day on a reflective metal surface. My dad actually made me a wooden set out of walnut (I think he did it mostly for the challenge of seeing if he could make perfectly round balls. Took him a few tries.)

I begged for those clackers for the longest time! Finally got a set on vacation. They shattered before we even got home. Lucky I didn't put my sister's eye out:duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter