With or without a DJ?

Lgoldie

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

We are in the midst of planning our wishes wedding at GF. Ceremony at the wedding pavilion, reception at GF and then dessert party at Epcot. Since we have opted out of the big dance party we haven't planned for a DJ but I just wonder if anyone has done the iPod thing to do your own music? We have two great emcees who will be controlling the music and only need walk in music, a first dance, and a parent dance, so hiring a DJ seems silly right now... but I'm afraid I'm missing something and i don't want something simple like this to give people something negative to talk about!

Any guidance or experience from others is helpful!

Thank you, Lauren

I personally didn't do an iPod, but I've known of several who did and no one ever seemed to regret it, especially since it's such a major cost savings. The only thing I would consider is that aside from music a DJ also keeps the night flowing as far as when to cut the cake, etc, and makes announcements. As long as you have someone else, be it another vendor, your coordinator, or a guest, who can do that for you, then I see no problem!

I may be a bit biased (haha)... but if your reception is longer than 2 hours you may want to seriously consider a DJ. If you have an announcer that's a good start, as the wedding coordinators will not act as "MCs."

Think of it this way: if you are having a dessert party, your guests are captive for the entire reception, no option to leave early. If there is no dancing, what will you be doing for a 4-hour reception? I'm not saying it cannot be done. A plated dinner with many courses will take up a lot of time- 2.5 hours maybe. But a buffet is only 30-40 minutes. These are the factors that can be considered.

There is a great piece written on this very subject (not by me): https://theweddingcoach.ca/itsjustmusic/

Hope this helps- best of luck either way! :)

We had a DJ for our 2011 WDW wedding reception (actually we had DJ Chuck in the above post-Hi Chuck!!:wave: )

We definitely do not regret it! We had a plated lunch reception, & I think the whole reception was around 4-5 hours. I loved to not have to worry about any Ipad technical difficulties, music was great, but also I loved that he was also an announcer. This was perfect for our first dance, when Mickey & Minnie showed up, & when we had a surprise dance for my parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter