• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

With all the new changes to DDP, will non-participating restaurants lose business?

bicker said:
The bottom line for the restaurants perhaps, but I think it will safeguard patronage of the Dining Plan itself: Most people won't internalize the situation as "Gosh, these are all 2TS so it's just like they're non-participating for me." Rather, they'll internalize the situation as "Gosh, all the restaurants are participating." and then separately, "Let's choose one of these 1TS restaurants, so our credits can go further."

While I am sure that Disney does want as high as participation as they can get I think the restaurants need the dinning plan more than Disney needs the restaurants. They launched the DDP without the WS places and from the early reports it had a significant impact on the WS places. Disney was able to sell packages without the WS places on the plan. Heck when we first decided to use the plan they weren't on it. I was bummed but it wasn't a deal breaker. For some it is but I think Disney does have the upper hand in this case.

Lewis had an interesting suggestion that I think would work for those places that struggle on the plan. Let them have a family style appetizer and fixed desert. Most people focus on the entrees so those you would need to leave open. They already limit the drinks selection severely so I don't think it would be a stretch to say a DDP specific appetizer / desert is included and others may be purchased OOP.

kathyg said:
I must agree with the posts on the other thread, that these restaurants did not pull out voluntarily. Just Disney trying to keep more of the pie to itself.

With the changes, do you think the restaurants that are no longer participating will lose business? I think they will..especially those in Epcot. If that's the case, maybe they will ban together and offer their own incentives. Just a thought.

Maybe.

I've been eating table service at Disney and at Epcot for a long time...prior to the Dining plan restaurants were a little less busy, but they really didn't sit empty (Akershus and Marrakesh - less popular though not empty). We'd see people turned away from San Angel Inn and Teppanyaki. Watched people get told a two hour wait at Rose and Crown. Had a twenty minute wait for a table at two in the afternoon at Biergarten. Most restaurants in the outside world would kill to have the day in-day out table utilization rate of Epcot restaurants.

I have a feeling that for most restaurants, the dining plan has not been great. I'd wager dining plan guests don't order alcohol - they want to leave without an out of pocket bill and therefore stick to what is included. I'm not sure that the non-Disney restaurants will be crying crocodile tears over not being included (although I anticipate their contracts just weren't returned by the publishing date and by January most will be back on the plan) - while the dining plan may not be the best thing for their bottom line, there is an element of "don't bite the hand that holds your lease."

DaisyD said:
Wow! That is great news for those that avoid the DDP. Hopefully they will bring back the good food that was taken away. I'm all for it.

Ditto, Le Cellier for one, although I don't know if they are still participating or not, has really gone down hill in our opinion since all of this. We are not even making ADR's there our next trip and we always have before. Hopefully, those of us using Disney Visa Points and the DDE for our meals will have better food with less crowds.

Lewisc said:
I'm confused if you don't purchase the dining plan, and like eating in EPCOT, why wouldn't you patronize restaurants that don't participate with MYW Dining?

I'm sorry. I guess I wasn't very clear. :) I will continue to eat in the various WS restaurants. I will not continue to purchase the dining plan.
:cool1:

bicker said:
I don't think it will have enough impact to affect Epcot itself, though. I think there will be some guests avoiding the Dining Plan, and if those restaurants work to satisfy those guests' specific needs, they'll do fine.

I agree. This is will hurt DDP. I certainly will think twice about getting it. Most of the place I want to eat are being removed!

DaisyD said:
Wow! That is great news for those that avoid the DDP. Hopefully they will bring back the good food that was taken away. I'm all for it.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm with you, too!

DaisyD said:

ITA! :thumbsup2
We never use the dining plan since it doesn't fit our needs so having more flexability and in some cases being able to walk up and get seated, this will be a huge bonus for us.

kathyg said:
I must agree with the posts on the other thread, that these restaurants did not pull out voluntarily. Just Disney trying to keep more of the pie to itself.

With the changes, do you think the restaurants that are no longer participating will lose business? I think they will..especially those in Epcot. If that's the case, maybe they will ban together and offer their own incentives. Just a thought.

I doubt it. For the people NOT on DDP they want a higher quality of food, when they want it. That option will never go away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter