Wishes for a kid afraid of fireworks.

We bought these for my daughter.

kidseardefenders.jpg

She's partially deaf and hates loud bangs. They cut out a lot of noise.

Just wanted to add that if it is truly just the noise - these type of headphones (not specifically the brand) do work well!! My DH has some at work for running the heavy equipment. My DS likes to go to the tractor pulls with him now, but those are VERY loud (many adults wear ear plugs). I don't want his hearing damaged, so he wears this type of thing.

My DS3 was afraid of loud noises last year too, but only if he didn't know what was making the noise. Earplugs are a great idea to have just in case, but I bet he'll love the fireworks!

The last time we went my DD (then 3) HATED fireworks. She was deathly afraid. We have actually had to leave July 4 celebration because someone was lighting bottle rockets! She is very bothered by noise. I brought along those foamy earplugs for her and they worked out fine. She used them at the stunt show at HS as well. It really was amazing for her. At first, when the fireworks started I was holding her and she was hiding her face and wouldn't watch, but then she heard Ursula (it was near halloween) and started watching and loved it. Now anytime she knows there is going to be fireworks somewhere she wants to go. (as long as she has her earplugs) :laughing:

I am not sure how much of the noise they actually block out, but in her case I think it is sort of a security thing. Like mind over matter ;) I don't know how she will react to them this trip but I will have the earplugs just in case.

Also, if he really doesn't like them you could always take him inside one of the shops till its over. Yeah someone will miss the show but he will be more comfortable and so will others trying to enjoy the show. We has to do this with DD (then 1). Since then she discovered she can stick her fingers in her ears.

Good luck with them. :thumbsup2

we now bring the ipod and she either listens to or watches something. dh and i LOVE the fireworks and she HATES loud noises. it's a great compromise for us. she doesn't like earplugs- she still has 1 tube in her ear and i think they interfere with the tube.

we wound up leaving MK and watching the fireworks from the bus stop and pulling out on the bus last trip. now we won't forget the ipod!

Watch the fireworks from the beach at the Poly.

My second youngest hates the noise of the fireworks. But we saw the show from the Poly and he was alright with it.

Its very hard to see Tinkerbell from the Poly, but the rest of the show, including the music, is quite easily seen.

I also suggested ear plugs, and I also stated that they might not help because of the percussion felt from the explosion itself....
I also suggested a nice place (the Noodle Station) where it would be a little confined for her child to run around in, has tables and chairs and is still a great spot to watch fireworks.....
I guess I'm one of those Old School Parents. I see nothing wrong with making kids "suck it up"...the sooner they learn, the better;)

My son is 4 and also very afraid of loud noises. Our last trip to Disney in 9/07 we watched from the beach at the Polynesian. Spectacular view and just the faint sound. Plus you get to relax on the beach instead of dealing with the masses. Just a suggestion. If you insist on being in the park then stay at the train station when you first enter the park, that is the furthest away but still has a great view.

I don't blame you for getting nervous, the fear of loud noises is something they can't help.

Have a great trip!!!

We got ear protectors for my youngest DD. Very similar to the photo shown in a previous post. About $15 from Amazon.

You can still hear when you're wearing them but everything seems far off. She wears them for fireworks and has them handy for other loud shows or attractions. Often she doesn't put them on but I think she is a lot happier having them with her in case.

They are so great because I love fireworks but I wouldn't enjoy them if DD was unhappy.

I agree with all the posters who suggest ear plugs or phones. Another thing that I've done is just found a place to sit down and I have a blanket and cuddle with my son, so one ear is against my body and I just hold my hand over the other side. He's usually so tired by that point he just falls asleep.

Cosmic Ray's is close by - I've seen people watching the fireworks from the outdoor patio eating area there. I'm not sure what the view is, but you can certainly get behind plate glass (if you stay inside) and probably see some of the sparkly fireworks while minimizing the boom of the launchers. I don't know if they pipe the show in or not.

Does Cosmic Rays stay open during Wishes? For some reason I thought that most of the eateries closed by that point.

I don't understand the logic of "the sooner they learn the better" for this situation. I have two out of three kids who don't like fireworks. It's not like fireworks are some necessary thing you need to enjoy to get by in life. It's not like they're hunting dogs who I'm trying to desensitize to loud noises. I can understand that logic with things like going to the doctor or brushing your teeth or doing homework, but fireworks? Come on, they don't need to learn to like fireworks. I'm trying to make Disney fun for them, not stressful.

Loud noises hurt my DD's ears so we're bringing earplugs as well. As long as they're pink, life is good. ;)

You will need to decide whether to keep your child in the park or not (using one of the previous suggestions)
However, I recommend not making your entire party leave the park. One thing that makes Wishes so fantastic is the music played along with it. They will not be able to hear the music from outside the park.

I don't understand the logic of "the sooner they learn the better" for this situation. I have two out of three kids who don't like fireworks. It's not like fireworks are some necessary thing you need to enjoy to get by in life. It's not like they're hunting dogs who I'm trying to desensitize to loud noises. I can understand that logic with things like going to the doctor or brushing your teeth or doing homework, but fireworks? Come on, they don't need to learn to like fireworks. I'm trying to make Disney fun for them, not stressful.

But the problem is it's not just the firework shows in the evening - there are fireworks throughout the day during the Castle show at MK as well as the loud attractions. My youngest DD can't tolerate loud noises and we've had to come up with strategies to help her cope or she'd never do anything. We use earplugs or headphones for her and sometimes I will hold her ears for her if I know a loud noise is coming up. It is getting better - last year she watched Illuminations and Wishes and enjoyed both shows. Honestly, if we weren't prepared to help her deal with the problem, we probably wouldn't go to WDW at all because there's no avoiding all the noises that could bother her.

I'm the same way so I am sympathetic to her problem. I use earplugs often (not just at WDW) because my ears are that sensitive and noises that don't bother most people are quite painful to me. If I didn't 'suck it up', I'd never leave the house!

The fireworks during the day weren't so bad for my kids because we weren't standing right there watching them so they weren't as loud. Also, I don't think that earplugs are bad - I wish my kids would wear them if it would make them less nervous. I just don't think helping your kids with earplugs or headphones is the same as saying they'll have to learn sometime - that's helping your kids adapt not making them do something they don't like.

Anyway, I'm going to have my kids try the fireworks again this trip (if they can stay up that late!) and see how it goes. It's been a year since we were there last, maybe they'll like them now. If they don't like them we'll leave and skip the other shows.

Here's a slight twist on the suggestions that have already been offered...

If MK isn't your first night at WDW, then try and take the little one over to the Poly for a "preview" of Wishes. He'll get to see the Electrical Water Parade and Wishes from a safe distance. I would still have him wear the earplugs at the Poly so he is used to them.

You're not alone with this problem, as I think most youngsters have problems with loud noises. Our DD is 7 and still doesn't like loud noises, weather they be from fireworks or even an announcer at an attraction. This is wear earplugs will come in handy. We'll be bringing them along for DD7, but I'm not quite sure what we'll do with DD1 yet. She's still in that "everything goes in the mouth" stage, so I can see her taking the earplugs and popping them in her mouth. :crazy2: :lmao:

why don't you book a ressie for the returant at the contemporary? they pipe in the music but you can still see the fireworks?

You will need to decide whether to keep your child in the park or not (using one of the previous suggestions)
However, I recommend not making your entire party leave the park. One thing that makes Wishes so fantastic is the music played along with it. They will not be able to hear the music from outside the park.

I could be wrong, since it was a little while ago, but I thought we had been able to hear the Wishes music when we were just outside the MK gates.

Any good ideas on the type of earplugs? Are there some made for kids smaller ears? I have an 8 year old neice that might benefit from them. Do you recommend the screw in type or the mushy type (I am nervous they might breka off in her ear!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter