• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wishes Dessert Party - Dissapointing

I'm confused...are people upset with OP's review because her expectations were not lined up with reality or are people upset because in their own reality, it's a fabulous event that does not deserve her review?

Either way, I'm open to hearing both the good and the bad about any event so that I too can make an informed decision on whether or not it's for me. It seems counterproductive to chastise her for sharing her experience or to say she should have researched it better when it may very well help someone else researching make a decision on the "reality" of it.

As for the kiddies putting their paws all over and in the food...no matter how much you love kids or how many kids you yourself have, it's gross. If that's how a dessert "party" is and I'm just supposed to suck it up because "it's Disney World, of course there are kids..." Ugh! No thanks.

I'm confused...are people upset with OP's review because her expectations were not lined up with reality or are people upset because in their own reality, it's a fabulous event that does not deserve her review?

Either way, I'm open to hearing both the good and the bad about any event so that I too can make an informed decision on whether or not it's for me. It seems counterproductive to chastise her for sharing her experience or to say she should have researched it better when it may very well help someone else researching make a decision on the "reality" of it.

As for the kiddies putting their paws all over and in the food...no matter how much you love kids or how many kids you yourself have, it's gross. If that's how a dessert "party" is and I'm just supposed to suck it up because "it's Disney World, of course there are kids..." Ugh! No thanks.

Bravo!! No one should be mocked or questioned if they give an honest review of their WDW experiences. Some of these replies border on personal attacks and all because the OP gave a bad review of something Disney. It almost feels like some of you take this all personally.. it's not an insult to you if someone doesn't love the Wishes Dessert party.. goodness!!

It seems almost every time a poster shares a less than "positive" experience they will be met with snarky comments and posters telling them how wrong they are. The Disney apologists will jump right on them with gusto.

I think good and bad reviews are an important part of trip planning and IS exactly why this forum exists. Each poster can take what they will from a good or bad review and sure some will disagree but, that's what this is all about.. right? It shouldn't be about telling a poster how wrong they are and questioning everything about them to the point it almost feels personal.

The OP's experience is exactly why we have never and won't ever book a dessert party. We'd rather book dinner at Cali Grill and watch the show from the viewing deck or head up to the TOTW lounge.

Bravo!! No one should be mocked or questioned if they give an honest review of their WDW experiences. Some of these replies border on personal attacks and all because the OP gave a bad review of something Disney. It almost feels like some of you take this all personally.. it's not an insult to you if someone doesn't love the Wishes Dessert party.. goodness!!

It seems almost every time a poster shares a less than "positive" experience they will be met with snarky comments and posters telling them how wrong they are. The Disney apologists will jump right on them with gusto.

I think good and bad reviews are an important part of trip planning and IS exactly why this forum exists. Each poster can take what they will from a good or bad review and sure some will disagree but, that's what this is all about.. right? It shouldn't be about telling a poster how wrong they are and questioning everything about them to the point it almost feels personal.
The people you're referring to are a very small number who post on virtually every thread and challenge anything they perceive as critical of Disney - no matter how mild, reasonable or well-supported. I think most people on this board appreciate honest appraisals of Disney events, both positive and negative.

Neither. I don't even think it's a fabulous event. We booked it once and didn't care for it. My comments were she was shocked kids where there yet she brought her child. It's fine to not like something and to give reviews of your experience. That's great. But to complain about kids being at a event, not just their behavior but being there, at Disney makes one really question everything about the review.

Neither. I don't even think it's a fabulous event. We booked it once and didn't care for it. My comments were she was shocked kids where there yet she brought her child. It's fine to not like something and to give reviews of your experience. That's great. But to complain about kids being at a event, not just their behavior but being there, at Disney makes one really question everything about the review.
The OP never said she was shocked that kids were at the event, nor did she complain about the simple fact that kids were there - apart from their behavior. Oh, and thanks for proving my point so quickly!

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with the OP. My family and I have been to many of these types of DW "events" and I always get the same impression some of the people who attend. They think that they are "entitled" and can do whatever they want, not realizing that that they are not the only ones participating. Yes, I realize that I should just enjoy being with my family at the most magical place on earth (which I do most of the time!) and not be so concerned about other people, but when they take away from my enjoyment and the fun from my family, that's a problem. In fact, I told my family we would never do these types of things again (for the time being) at Disney after attending a Wishes Party two years ago when a women blatantly pushed one my daughters to the ground (who was 11 at the time) so that she could get a front row spot on the balcony for the fireworks. The CM's, although friendly were useless and did nothing to help my crying daughter or confront the lady (which I did) who pushed her down.

I get the fact that maybe my family and I (as are some of you) are fortunate enough that we can go to DW every year or even multiple times a year and so maybe we "get it" or "understand it" a little bit better than those who are less fortunate and maybe make a Disney trip once in their lifetime. But still, people need to respect one another and treat others with a little kindness, civility and common decency. For some reason, that gets thrown out the window for some when they go to Disney...I guess the same thing can be said for some people on the disboards as well...

The OP never said she was shocked that kids were at the event, nor did she complain about the simple fact that kids were there - apart from their behavior. Oh, and thanks for proving my point so quickly!
Maybe she didn't use the exact words "shocked"

I was actually surprised at how many kids were in attendance. Yes, I know it is Disney, but it is on the higher end of the price spectrum. I thought the ambiance was more geared towards couples, a bit more romantic or sophisticated.

I never stated I was looking for an adult only event. I stated I was surprised by how many kids there were, my opinion is based on the price-point of the event. ...... I will keep thinking parents are wasting a lot of money bringing toddlers and elementary school children at the current prices and quality of the event.

right up until you realize you've paid $60 for those mashed potatoes.
Yeah - look, I agree! As I said, I think Disney should police this stuff and put a stop to it any time a CM witnesses such a thing. It's absolutely bizarre -- and actually POOR customer service to the rest of us -- not to take care of stuff like this. Bizarre. :thumbsup2

Yeah - look, I agree! As I said, I think Disney should police this stuff and put a stop to it any time a CM witnesses such a thing. It's absolutely bizarre -- and actually POOR customer service to the rest of us -- not to take care of stuff like this. Bizarre. :thumbsup2
Absolutely. Seems like they're breaching some sort of health codes. I'm not for all of this "don't ruin anyone's vacation" bs...not in this day and age where everyone thinks they are entitled. I mean, they've been doing this long enough to see what goes on. All it would take is a glass and a CM to serve the guests. It would cut WAY down on the waste and nastiness. The CM's are standing there anyway. Problem solved.

But why mock the OP over such a small thing? What's it to you personally?

Focusing on it just derails from the main point behind her post which was that it was disorganized, unhygienic, the food not very good and the atmosphere not very "party" like. For the price she paid, she did not see the value. Fair enough I say!

Edited to add: the OP states more than once that she was surprised by how many kids were in attendance, not that she was shocked kids were there at all. This whole argument is dumb.

Last edited:
But why mock the OP over such a small thing? What's it to you personally?

Focusing on it just derails from the main point behind her post which was that it was disorganized, unhygienic, the food not very good and the atmosphere not very "party" like. For the price she paid, she did not see the value. Fair enough I say!

Edited to add: the OP states more than once that she was surprised by how many kids were in attendance, not that she was shocked kids were there at all. This whole argument is dumb.
The complaint about children being there goes along with the rest of her complaints about children putting their hands in the food, etc. It's dumb to complain about the presence of any children at Disney unless it's advertised as an adult only event.

The dessert party is not for everyone and I don't think there is a person alive who could eat $60 worth of Costco cupcakes.

I was going to leave this thread alone, but this cracked me up!!!!!

So, now that I am here, Ill just add my 2 cents.

1 cent....... If the OP thought it would be adult like and a romantic spot, why did she take her daughter out of school and bring her? (I assume a school aged person is a child)
2nd cent..... From what I have read previously, Disboard members (not sure if this is fact) make up approx 10% of guests at the parks. I assume, the majority of us disboard members came to this site looking for the best strategies to navigate the parks and/or ways to stretch our dollars. While Im sure there are many more bargain hunters who are not on Disboards attending the parks, there are many many many many many others that have unlimited amounts of money to spend, as well as those who save for a once in a lifetime magical trip and go all out. I would never expect any place at Disney to be childless, or even close to it, regardless of price. Disney does not stay in business and keep building and adding parties because nobody is attending or spending!

OP is entitled to her opinion and her review, but her bad experience is less the fault of Disney and more her own fault for not researching the event before paying for it. She was disappointed because she didn't do her homework - period.

She also lost me when she started judging people who would spend that money to bring their kids. It isn't up to her to tell anyone else what constitutes a good value.

I'm also in the camp of being confused why she brought her daughter, when she thought it was an adult/romantic atmosphere...

The complaint about children being there goes along with the rest of her complaints about children putting their hands in the food, etc. It's dumb to complain about the presence of any children at Disney unless it's advertised as an adult only event.

Where is this complaint? :confused3 I just don't see it. A complaint about behaviour is not the same as presence.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter