Wish Trippers...Unite!! Volume One

We are tentatively scheduled to be at the Village between Sunday January 11 2009 and Friday January 16, 2009. While I am sure I will have lots of questions as we get closer I had one question regarding the "front of the line pass" that MAW trippers are given at Disney.

Does this pass grant you front of the line access for only those rides that the trip grantee rides or does it also work on rides that other members of the party ride. My son Benny (who has down syndrome), the grantee, is seven and may not be able to go on all of the rides that his 9 year old brother wants to go on.

Thanks

Steven

Welcome, Steven!!

We gave Lauren's Wish Button to her little brother when Lauren couldn't ride. We didn't have any trouble doing that at all!

But...one word of caution...you might want to give it to the adult. Lauren's little bro accidently lost her button. We think it was on a ride...but if the adult holds it, they will still let all of you on. :) And if you lose it, GKTW will give you another one...but you are stuck for the day without it! :scared1:

Have a great trip!! Let us know if you have any questions, etc!! :)

We are tentatively scheduled to be at the Village between Sunday January 11 2009 and Friday January 16, 2009. While I am sure I will have lots of questions as we get closer I had one question regarding the "front of the line pass" that MAW trippers are given at Disney.

Does this pass grant you front of the line access for only those rides that the trip grantee rides or does it also work on rides that other members of the party ride. My son Benny (who has down syndrome), the grantee, is seven and may not be able to go on all of the rides that his 9 year old brother wants to go on.

Thanks

Steven

Because of his heart, Nathan couldn't ride everything that the rest of the family could. We just had Nathan come with us to the CM and we would tell the CM that he wasn't going to ride the ride. You can also combine this with baby swap if both parents want to experience the ride. We would just say, " He can't ride this( or doesn't want to ride this), can we do baby swap?" My husband would ride with my 3 oldest and when they got off, I would ride with one of the other boys. If you did that, Benny's brother could ride each ride twice in a row. A lot of times, Nathan enjoyed the queue or watching the ride, even if he couldn't ride it.

I can't wait to hear more of your plans- GKTW is a very magical place!

Carol

I know we aren't doing a Disney wish but I thought I would still post what we have found out from our wish granters. My dd had wanted to do the Disney cruise but they said that Disney cruises are hard to get with MAW so my dd decided to do a caribbean cruise instead. We heard from her wish granter yesterday that we could go to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and check out their cruises and dd could pick her top two choices, the only rules were it had to be May 2009 or later, depart from u.s. port and be round trip. So we have made our choices and sent off for the kids passports today. MAW is going reimburse us for the passports too. DD is VERY excited after checking it all out on the internet so most likely we will be cruising in May.
Even though we ended up not doing Disney this has been an awesome place for MAW information. Thank you all so much and I hope you have wonderful Wish trips to Disney.

I know we aren't doing a Disney wish but I thought I would still post what we have found out from our wish granters. My dd had wanted to do the Disney cruise but they said that Disney cruises are hard to get with MAW so my dd decided to do a caribbean cruise instead. We heard from her wish granter yesterday that we could go to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and check out their cruises and dd could pick her top two choices, the only rules were it had to be May 2009 or later, depart from u.s. port and be round trip. So we have made our choices and sent off for the kids passports today. MAW is going reimburse us for the passports too. DD is VERY excited after checking it all out on the internet so most likely we will be cruising in May.
Even though we ended up not doing Disney this has been an awesome place for MAW information. Thank you all so much and I hope you have wonderful Wish trips to Disney.

I hear Celebrity Cruises have good food!! :) I did a Royal Caribbean cruise several years ago and enjoyed it!! :)

I am glad we could help with the MAW info! :) Have fun on your cruise!!!

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas yesterday - or a lovely relaxing day for any of you who do not celebrate Christmas.

This morning, Mark and I were snuggling in bed and we were reliving some of our most special moments from his Wish Trip. I cannot believe that I still have not been able to write a Trip Report, but I do plan on doing it. It will be good for me to spend time - when I can find the time! - to refocus on that wonderful time we had together.

That conversation reminded me how wonderful it has been to find friends here among the WishTrippers - all of you understand and appreciate our challenges in ways that most people simply cannot, try though they may. Here we can share our joys, and seek comfort and solace when times are tough. I feel like a little part of me has been on each of your Wish Trips...and I am looking forward to travelling along with those of you who are still planning. We are so blessed!

Since we returned, life has been tough. I've already told you about the renovations, moving out and so on. As well, Mark hasn't been feeling all that well, just catching everything that's running around, lacking energy etc. We had a disheartening visit with his G/I when we all shared our frustrations about his lack of weight gain. At age 10, Mark weights 44 whopping pounds, and creeps up only a few pounds a year, if we're lucky. We have a plan to step up his overnight tube feedings, which theoretically should work, but somehow doesn't seem to.

My mother's dementia is developing at an alarming rate, and I never know what the next phone call will bring. While she was already in a retirement home, she now has overnight care to prevent her from trying to go out for a walk/errands in the middle of the night (because she has tried!), and she is experencing hallucinations that might be funny if it isn't so frightening that they are happening. Last week, for several days, she believed that I had left my husband and children and run off with "that man"...heartbreaking to hear your mother say "you're not the person I always thought you were and I can't understand how you could leave your children". Oh rats. I started off wanting to right an uplifting message of thanks to you all, and here I am crying, and in the middle of a huge vent. Thankfully, the "scarlet woman" story seems to have disappeared, and spending time with Peter and the boys yesterday was good for her...but she was so timid, so unsure, so not herself. I feel as though I have already lost her.

Well, this was not the message that I planned to send, but I do think it is the message I needed to send today. I hope you are all enjoying precious family time, and again, I offer to all of you my thanks for your friendship and support.

Alison

Announcement!!

Gosh, I thought I posted this last night?? Am I losing my mind? Did this post end up in some other thread???

Don't know....:confused3

We have a NEW WISH TRIPPERS UNITE thread!!

You can post to it here: WISH TRIPPERS...UNITE!! Volume 2

It is still under construction and will take me a day or so to add all of the links...but I will get there, I promise!

So, come on over!! :)

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas yesterday - or a lovely relaxing day for any of you who do not celebrate Christmas.

This morning, Mark and I were snuggling in bed and we were reliving some of our most special moments from his Wish Trip. I cannot believe that I still have not been able to write a Trip Report, but I do plan on doing it. It will be good for me to spend time - when I can find the time! - to refocus on that wonderful time we had together.

That conversation reminded me how wonderful it has been to find friends here among the WishTrippers - all of you understand and appreciate our challenges in ways that most people simply cannot, try though they may. Here we can share our joys, and seek comfort and solace when times are tough. I feel like a little part of me has been on each of your Wish Trips...and I am looking forward to travelling along with those of you who are still planning. We are so blessed!

Since we returned, life has been tough. I've already told you about the renovations, moving out and so on. As well, Mark hasn't been feeling all that well, just catching everything that's running around, lacking energy etc. We had a disheartening visit with his G/I when we all shared our frustrations about his lack of weight gain. At age 10, Mark weights 44 whopping pounds, and creeps up only a few pounds a year, if we're lucky. We have a plan to step up his overnight tube feedings, which theoretically should work, but somehow doesn't seem to.

My mother's dementia is developing at an alarming rate, and I never know what the next phone call will bring. While she was already in a retirement home, she now has overnight care to prevent her from trying to go out for a walk/errands in the middle of the night (because she has tried!), and she is experencing hallucinations that might be funny if it isn't so frightening that they are happening. Last week, for several days, she believed that I had left my husband and children and run off with "that man"...heartbreaking to hear your mother say "you're not the person I always thought you were and I can't understand how you could leave your children". Oh rats. I started off wanting to right an uplifting message of thanks to you all, and here I am crying, and in the middle of a huge vent. Thankfully, the "scarlet woman" story seems to have disappeared, and spending time with Peter and the boys yesterday was good for her...but she was so timid, so unsure, so not herself. I feel as though I have already lost her.

Well, this was not the message that I planned to send, but I do think it is the message I needed to send today. I hope you are all enjoying precious family time, and again, I offer to all of you my thanks for your friendship and support.

Alison

Bless your heart, Alison! I know you are not alone in the stress that this particular holiday has seemed to bring. Or maybe it just came in the midst of lots of stress. Almost everyone I know has been affected in some way by the economy.

I did have a relaxing day yesterday. But I am looking forward to getting to sleep in my own bed! I am going home a day early because we are expecting bad weather tomorrow, and I don't like to drive through a tornado!

I do hope you get to work on your trip report! We can't wait to hear all about it!! :) Maybe you could do a mini-trip report...or just the first day! :) lol

I am putting a link to your trip report on our new Wish Trippers Thread! :)

Alison

Very well said, Alison. I feel like I know everybody here and enjoy helping plan/reading about their trips! I also really like hearing about everybody's lives even not on the trip. You are right, this is a group of parents who really understand us. I belong to another group-parents of children with cardiomyopathy. I gain a lot of information and support from that group but it is different- and sometimes a little too close to home. While it is always painful to read about a child dying, it is especially difficult to read about a child dying from the same disease your child has. Plus, in my other group, I can't share with them my obsession for Disney!

I am sorry things have been difficult for you since you returned home. I hope things get better soon. My grandmother had dementia and it was a very difficult thing to watch.

As for us, the only "big" thing is one of Nathan's cardiologists is moving. Nathan has 2- our local one ( well, he is 90 miles away in OKC) and then we take him to Houston to see a cardiologist who is known world wide as one of the best for pediatric cardiomyopathy. That is the one who is moving. Houston is about an 8 hour drive for us but now he will be in Cinncinati which is about a 15 hour drive. Oh well, I'm sure we will continue to make that trip annually. Of course, as soon as I found out, I got out our world passport from GKTW to find out what parks and museums we can get into on our trip this summer!

Announcement!!

Gosh, I thought I posted this last night?? Am I losing my mind? Did this post end up in some other thread???

It is still under construction and will take me a day or so to add all of the links...but I will get there, I promise!

Maroo- that link takes me to Nick's pre-trip report. What am I doing wrong?

Carol

lol.. yes, yes it does. Not that I don't mind you all coming over to Nick's PTR. lol. Let me see if I can find the correct link.

Announcement!!

Uh...:rotfl:

Shameless plug for Nicks TR, I guess!!! :)

But it is fixed... :)

Maroo- that link takes me to Nick's pre-trip report. What am I doing wrong?

Carol

User error... :)

I messed that one up! twice, actually!

lol.. yes, yes it does. Not that I don't mind you all coming over to Nick's PTR. lol. Let me see if I can find the correct link.

You rock!!!!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2039777

I think this is the correct like to the Wish trippers volume two!

YEP!! That's it!!! :) lol

some come on over, guys...seriously, this time!! :)

It is still a work in progress...in the process of getting a new computer as we speak! :)

Mods,

I am scared to have it locked...it is referenced so many places? Will it be very easy to find the new one? For some of the real new people? We have lots of new people on our thread at times. :)

Mods,

I am scared to have it locked...it is referenced so many places? Will it be very easy to find the new one? For some of the real new people? We have lots of new people on our thread at times. :)
Mary, I have a little bit of experience in starting new threads. :rotfl: (I think we are on what 10??? now!)and I find it much easier when the mods lock the old thread. Just make sure you put a big post (increase that font up to a 7!) with the new link. If it isn't locked, people sometimes post on the old thread, where no one is really watching and they might think they are just being ignored. What I do, is post something that let's people know to stop posting on the old thread and move on over to the new one.

I just found a Facebook group for those who have stayed at Give Kids the World Village. The name is
I've been to Give Kids the World Village

Enter this in a search on Facebook and you can join the group to connect with former Wish Trippers there.

Wow, what a chance to thank the folks who volunteer at Give Kids the World. I found another link on Facebook for Give Kids the World Angels. It is for those who volunteer there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter