Windsor Hills - WOW!

daytondisney

Mouseketeer
Having stayed at on property at moderate resorts on previous trips, was apprehensive about staying off property on this trip. But with wife, 2 kids, and in-laws on this trip, and the cost and features of 2 moderate rooms or 1 suite, we decided to try a 3 BR townhouse at Windsor Hills.

After a week, I am convinced I'll never stay on property again.

Price...I added the cost of a rental van, gas, parking and luggage tips and am still $100s less than 2 moderate resort rooms, and over $1,000 less than cheapest Disney suite...Bought tickets through Undercover Tourist and saved even more...

Security and Convenience - Gated community, 24 hour uniformed security, park van 4 feet from front door so no waiting/walking for bus...restaurants and stores less than 3 minutes away...8 minutes from door to parking spot at AK, 15 -20 at other parks...and at end of day with 2 kids asleep, no parking lot treks to room...

Dining - name any restaurant and it is within 10 minutes...and plenty of local joints to explore...after a day at the park, no eating same food in food court...and a benefit I had not anticipated is cost savings...

Accomodations - full townhome apartment - Ours was beautifully decorated...living room, dining room, 3 ensuite bedrooms with DVD/HD satellite TV in each, professionally decorated Mickey room for the kids and their TV includes a PS II system, ceiling fans throughout, full laundry, full kitchen with all utensils/appliances, private splash pool...no comparison to 314 sf boxes on property...imagine staying up late/getting up early to watch news without worrying about waking sleeping kids, or having a room for child to 'unplug' and go watch a video...we actually caught our son reading!

The resort also has a full size pool with water slide (kids must be 48"), fountains, pool tables and game room, workout room, theater (didn't use), playgrounds...

Today, after Toy Story broke down 45 minutes into our wait, our 6 year old took it in stride and said, "Let's go swimming!"

I am sure there are some lemons in this resort, but I can vouch for ours...I am a true believer...

Having stayed at on property at moderate resorts on previous trips, was apprehensive about staying off property on this trip. But with wife, 2 kids, and in-laws on this trip, and the cost and features of 2 moderate rooms or 1 suite, we decided to try a 3 BR townhouse at Windsor Hills.

Price...I added the cost of a rental van, gas, parking and luggage tips and am still $100s less than 2 moderate resort rooms, and over $1,000 less than cheapest Disney suite...Bought tickets through Undercover Tourist and saved even more...

Security and Convenience - Gated community, 24 hour uniformed security, park van 4 feet from front door so no waiting/walking for bus...restaurants and stores less than 3 minutes away...8 minutes from door to parking spot at AK, 15 -20 at other parks...and at end of day with 2 kids asleep, no parking lot treks to room...

Dining - name any restaurant and it is within 10 minutes...and plenty of local joints to explore...after a day at the park, no eating same food in food court...and a benefit I had not anticipated is cost savings...

Accomodations - full townhome apartment - Ours was beautifully decorated...living room, dining room, 3 ensuite bedrooms with DVD/HD satellite TV in each, professionally decorated Mickey room for the kids and their TV includes a PS II system, ceiling fans throughout, full laundry, full kitchen with all utensils/appliances, private splash pool...no comparison to 314 sf boxes on property...imagine staying up late/getting up early to watch news without worrying about waking sleeping kids, or having a room for child to 'unplug' and go watch a video...we actually caught our son reading!

The resort also has a full size pool with water slide (kids must be 48"), fountains, pool tables and game room, workout room, theater (didn't use), playgrounds...

Today, after Toy Story broke down 45 minutes into our wait, our 6 year old took it in stride and said, "Let's go swimming!"

I am sure there are some lemons in this resort, but I can vouch for ours...I am a true believer...

Thanks for the report! It's good to hear, we will be staying in a three bedroom condo for the first time in June. We are a family of five adults, plus a friend of my daughter, and even with the 4 for 3 deal that Disney is offering, it still makes more sense to stay offsite. What are some of the restaurants that are nearby?

Thanks for the report! It's good to hear, we will be staying in a three bedroom condo for the first time in June. We are a family of five adults, plus a friend of my daughter, and even with the 4 for 3 deal that Disney is offering, it still makes more sense to stay offsite. What are some of the restaurants that are nearby?

All right nearby Windsor Hills! Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy = 192

Red Lobster 7780 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 321-677-0191 1.5 Miles
Friday’s ** 7798 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-397-4300 1.5 Miles
Key W Kool’s Very Good a Bit Expensive 7725 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-1166 1.5 Miles
Outback Steak House ** 7804 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-0017 1.5 Miles
Giordano’s ** 7866 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-397-0044 1.5 Miles
Cracker Barrel Restaurant** 7878 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-390-1190 1.6 Miles
Dairy Queen 7868 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-390-8175 1.6 Miles
Subway Sandwiches 7856 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-397-7119 1.6 Miles
Taste of China 7832 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-397-9911 1.5 Miles
Magic Mining Co 7763 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-8986 1.5 Miles
Taco Bell 7784 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-390-0385 1.5 Miles
Burger King 7757 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-239-4363 1.5 Miles
Mc Donald’s 7627 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-1536 1.5 Miles
Passage to India 7618 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-6957 1.5 Miles
Waffle House 7696 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-397-9550 1.5 Miles
Sizzler 7602 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-397-0997 1.5 Miles
Golden Corral 7702 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-390-9615 1.5 Miles
Dunkin Donuts 7646 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-397-7060 1.5 Miles
Ponderosa Steak House 7598 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-7721 1.5 Miles
Denny’s 7631 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-0757 1.5 Miles
Fiorino New York Pizza 7531 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-390-9664 1.5 Miles
Ihop Restaurant 7529 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-2033 1.5 Miles
Black Angus 7516 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-390-4548 1.5 Miles
Take Japanese Restaurant 7818 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-390-0333 1.5 Miles
Perkins Family Restaurant 7451 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-0845 1.6 Miles
Chick-Fil-A 7891 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-787-4001 1.6 Miles
Bob Evans Restaurant 7411 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-396-8599 1.7 Miles
Angel’s Diner Lobster Feast Good but go Early! 7300 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-397-1960 1.7 Miles
Pizza Hut 8557 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-239-4456 2.2 Miles
Beef O’ Brady’s ** 8687 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-239-7710 2.4 Miles
Ace Plus Chinese Buffet 8620 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-390-7588 2.2 Miles
Domino’s Pizza 8687 W Irlo Bronson Meml Hwy Kissimmee 407-239-7710 2.4 Miles
Moe’s Southwest Grill 19 Blake Blvd Kissimmee 321-939-2455 5.1 Miles
Smokey Bones BBQ Grill 2911 Vineland Road Kissimmee 407-397-7102 9.5 Miles
Cold Stone Creamery 15 Blake Blvd Kissimmee 321-939-2897 5.1 Miles
Carrabba’s ** 7890 W. Irlo Bronson Hwy., Kissimmee, (407) 390-9600 1.5 Miles
Celebration Tavern ** 721 Front St (407) 390-9600 7.5 Miles

I'd just add that within 5 or so miles is every other restaurant and store you can think of...Olive Garden, TGI Fridays, Macaroni Grill, Red Lobster, etc...Wal-Mart, too...

Avoid the Shoney's near the resort!

Also, the times from driveway to parking booth rnged from 5 mins to DHS to 15 minutes to the farthest Downtown Disney parking lot.

I rented from Dina at mickeysworld.net, unit #2. We were about a 45 second walk from main pool and rec facility, and in addition to all the towels, blankets, etc you'd ever need, they provided a stroller, pac-n-play, and high chair...boy, did that ever save on packing!

Wonderful info, thanks so much for taking the time to share, everyone! :lovestruc We're staying in a villa at WH in a few weeks and now I'm even more excited! :banana:

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

Love the idea that your son felt so comfortable he could read.

Love hearing how much you enjoyed your stay, and thanks for the list of restautants. We're staying at a three bed condo in Feb and hearing reviews like yours gets me soooooooooo excited!!!

Just came back Friday from 7 days at a 5 bedroom villa at Windsor Hills. Gorgeous! And the private pool was the best! It really was nice. Had a problem (but it actually was very funny and very cute) with racoons. Four o'clock in the morning a mother and 5 baby racoons were rummaging through our garbage in front. It is contained in a hard plastic box with a lid. The mother had to have lifted the lid with her hands (paws?). We slowly opened the door part way and was about to shut it when one of the babies put its paw on the door to try and keep the door opened! We felt bad for them, but WH should come up with a better way to store garbage.
But everything was truly beautiful there and we can't wait to go back!!!

Just came back Friday from 7 days at a 5 bedroom villa at Windsor Hills. Gorgeous! And the private pool was the best! It really was nice. Had a problem (but it actually was very funny and very cute) with racoons. Four o'clock in the morning a mother and 5 baby racoons were rummaging through our garbage in front. It is contained in a hard plastic box with a lid. The mother had to have lifted the lid with her hands (paws?). We slowly opened the door part way and was about to shut it when one of the babies put its paw on the door to try and keep the door opened! We felt bad for them, but WH should come up with a better way to store garbage.
But everything was truly beautiful there and we can't wait to go back!!!

:laughing: We stayed at a pool home in Emerald Island two weeks ago and thought we had a prowler just after we got to bed. We got up and looked around and after about 10 minutes I spotted a big raccoon up on top of the screen that's over the pool. It was going across the screen and then up on the roof. I guess it got down somehow cause we saw it the next day at the house next door. I guess it's a problem everywhere. We noticed that the big garbage cans were sometimes knocked over before the garbage truck picked them up.

LOL! Same racoons found us, although it must have been the babies as they were only able to get a donut box off of the top...

For those who haven't visited WH, trash is placed into a Rubber-Maid type bench outside of the front door for collection every morning...

I cannot overstate how beautiful and well-maintained this resort is...

Had I rented 2 rooms at moderate Disney Resort for 8 nights (meal plan) plus tix for 6 days (through Disney online), I would have paid $1,350 more than I did staying in the 3 BR/3 bath townhouse, plus meals, plus transportation/parking/tips for luggage handlers...My travel agent could get this disparity down to $840...

All for the privilege of being cooped up in 2 identical 340 sf rooms with not amenities and a 50 yard hike to stand on a bus...

I anticipated that we would spend around $1,400 for food (4 adults, 2 kids [6 & 2]) and without monitoring, we spent $1,380. And that included 3 character meals and stocking the residence with all manner of breakfast foods (eggs, muffins, donuts, milk, juices, fruit) plus pop and snacks.

Disney charged us 18% gratuity on buffet meals for filling drink glasses...Chef Mickey came in at $130, and my 2 year old ate for free.

We ate at Olive Garden one evening, and with 20% tip, it was only $95. Ate at TGI Fridays, with 3 deserts, and with larger tip, $100.

My wife as a skeptic, but now is a believer...

Yeah, it is just hard to beat the value: all that space, extra bathrooms are a dream for bigger groups, kitchen, laundry, internet, nice resort. Just makes for a more relaxing trip. Glad you enjoyed your stay!

I really appreciate reading your comments. We have made numerous trips on site the last few years and the last 4 we have rented two mod rooms for our group.

However, for our next trip we have rented a home for 10 nights including Christmas in 2010. I have been a little concerned we would miss being onsite, but we have rented a really fabulous 6 bedroom home in WH and I know we will enjoy that home and have a good trip no matter what. Nice to be assured by your comments.

We leave for WH next week. We are staying in a Robinson property. We cant' wait to see WH after reading such great things about it.

I love that I can drink my coffe and eat my breakfast in my pj's!

I agree!! This is the second year that we stayed on WH property. We rented a 3 bedroom/2 bath condo. Beautiful and close to the pools. Hard to take at $100 a night. I love having all the space.:cool1:

So glad to ear all the great things about WH, we rented a 3Bdr home from Laura's Townhouse, and beeing a family of 5 i'm sure we won't feel squeeze like with did at the Port Orleans Riverside;)

I agree also with OP, no waiting for the bus, getting the sleeping kids from the car and having a few steps to take inside the home, that must be INCREDIBLE:rolleyes:

Can't wait to be there in 2 weeks:cool1: :cool1:

How do you get such great rates for WH? I looked through allears and the room cost per night for a 4 bedroom is $354 a night. Also these don't look like condos or town homes this property looked like a house with a pool and everything. I am asking because my sister and her family (party of 11) are looking to go to Disney in May and I want to find her afforable options for this group. Are there other places to look at?

Thanks for the help!
Michelle

The condo we rented had 3 bed/2bath with a pull out couch, washer/dryer, full kitchen, so maybe renting 2 condos might be a thought. Last year my sister and I rented a huge house. It was great too. The pool temp was a little cool for me though. I find the resorts keep the pool a little warmer as well as having a hot tub not a "spa" on the end of the pool as that is the same temp as the pool just with jets.

The condo we rented this year was amazing. Overlooking the pool. The owners were great! I would stay with them again in a heart beat.

Check out vrbo.com for some great deals. You rent directly from the owner. I have done this 3 time now with no problems. Maybe your sister might get lucky and find 2 condos in the same building.

Good luck.:goodvibes

How do you get such great rates for WH? I looked through allears and the room cost per night for a 4 bedroom is $354 a night. Also these don't look like condos or town homes this property looked like a house with a pool and everything. I am asking because my sister and her family (party of 11) are looking to go to Disney in May and I want to find her afforable options for this group. Are there other places to look at?

Thanks for the help!
Michelle

Try looking on VRBO.com, they have tons of rentals there for all different price ranges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter