Windsor Hills Ruellan villa review 6/6 - 6/13/07

4eyedbuzzard

<font color=green>Earning My Ears Golfer<br><font
http://www.vrbo.com/122340 Rating :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Just back from Windsor Hills (well, minus a short stop in NYC for Fri night's Yankees v Mets game at Yankee Stadium and some shopping on 5th Avenue.)

We stayed at the Ruellan Family vacation home(4bdr/4bath)pool villa in Windsor Hills and it was wonderful - exactly as advertised. I'm a stickler for such things - nothing annoys me more than misleading advertising.

The villa owner's website is http://www.vrbo.com/122340 , and there is also a webpage at their MC's(Marlyn Home Management) website http://www.floridavilla-uk.com/ar_windsor_hills_1.htm

First, and most important, the villa was nicely decorated and very CLEAN. The pool was wonderful, the beds(several with pillow tops) comfortable, the 42" TV and huge selection of DVD movies was great, the computer and printer was great for printing maps, checking weather, keeping up with e-mail, etc, the game room with loads of toys(incl. 6 foot pool table, foosball, video game system, etc) for all ages was fun even for our older teens. There were plenty of large beach towels(8 I think) for the pool and waterparks. Also there was an upscale stroller, a cooler for bringing along food/beverages, little kid's bikes, and more.

There are 4 bdrs: a king master suite, a queen suite, an Animal Kingdom themed queen suite, and a princess room suite with two twins. I believe the LR sofa is also a pull-out. All bdr's have TV's and private bathrooms - one of which is double entry and serves as the home's powder room. There were blow dryers in all baths plus a straightener in the master.

The kitchen is well equipped with a great wide slot 4 banger bagel toaster, icemaker, blender, lots of pots pans, etc. Probably the best equipped rental kitchen we have experienced. The blender made really good margueritas :thumbsup2 All the appliances were fairly new and worked without issue (Hey, things like refrigerators/icemakers and washer/dryers working properly is important)

The Windsor Hills security, grounds, pool, clubhouse(pool tables, ping pong, ice cream, etc) etc are wonderful. While I usually don't give much thought to security, there is a lot of oddball crime as of late in the area(like the abduction/attack/robbery of the young couple at DTD during our stay) knowing that there is gated security is an unfortunately needed plus these days. The villa(and most others) is a bit of a walk to the clubhouse(probably a 10 minute walk) compared to the condos and townhomes. You might want to drive if you've walked enough in the parks already;) We only used the community pool once, and unfortunately got kicked out for lightning in the area after 20 minutes. The slide was nice, but not really thrilling like a waterpark type. We went to both TL and BB while there so this wasn't a big issue. My only negative comment would be that the pool is only 4 ft deep at most, but this is typical of almost all resort pools these days.

Windsor Hills is incredibly close and convenient to WDW and all the area stores and restaurants, we never drove more than 10 minutes to or from any of the parks(usually it was around 5 to 7 minutes) using the Sherberth Rd shortcut most of the time, especially at night when the park closing traffic could be crowded.

We had two minor "problems" (NOT really problems) one during and one after our stay:

1) there was no skimmer net for the pool, so I called the MC and they delivered one the next day.
2) the cleaning crew informed the MC that we had bleached one of the pillowcases for one of the bedrooms and that they would be deducting the cost from our security deposit. The MC asks that you strip the bedding on check-out day, leave it by the washer/dryer, and start the first load if possible, which we did(actually we wound up running most all of the bedding while packing) As to bleaching out a pillowcase - pretty much impossible as we never purchased any bleach, only detergent. To make a long story short though, a quick note to the owners resolved this issue.

In summary, our only two issues were resolved promptly to our satisfaction. In my experience, there will always be "incidents" with accomodations, especially with weeklong villa rentals - just like in a real home, doo-doo occurs. It's how those issues are handled and resolved that makes the difference.

Based on all this, I would recommend this villa to anyone needing 4 bdr accomodations. The villa is very nicely appointed, and the owners and MC are attentive and repond promptly to inquiries and problems.

Rating :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Glad you had a nice vacation. It's always good to read about good rental homes. I'll file it away for future vacation decisions. Thanks for the review.

This is a beautiful home! Thanks for the review. We stayed in a condo last year and are thinking about a pool villa for next year. I checked the calendar and she is already booked for the week we go in March. Oh well ... I bookmarked her for future trips :) The princess room would be a HUGE hit with my girls!!!

Kerri

so glad you enjoyed Windsor hills resort and the villa, being a 4 bedded w/h owner myself its really nice to hear comment like your own, we as owners put in an incredible amount of time and effort into making our homes and equipment just right for our clients.
i especially like your piece about doo-doo occurring yes people tend to forget that these thing do happen just like they do in your own home i myself have had a block drain/ washing machine pack in and the back gate fell of its hinges all this week, all normal everyday things and as you said its how its dealt with clad to hear the m/c was on the ball as well.

Allan.

Glad you had a great trip!! I think 4 beds in WH are the best deal there -- but there aren't too many so I am sure they book up fast.

Does the stop in MY mena you drive to ORlando? I'll have to ask you some time how that was. We've considered it, but sanity brings us to the airport every time, especially with these gas prices.

Time to get planning for next trip!

Glad you had a great trip!! I think 4 beds in WH are the best deal there -- but there aren't too many so I am sure they book up fast.

Does the stop in MY mena you drive to ORlando? I'll have to ask you some time how that was. We've considered it, but sanity brings us to the airport every time, especially with these gas prices.

Time to get planning for next trip!

I agree, the price points on the 4 bdr pool villas are very good. Most in WH or similar can be had for under $200 night including tax and pool heat. Go out further into the Davenport area and I've seen 4 bdr's off-season under $1000 week. We wanted to be close and wanted a nicer villa, so we paid toward the higher end, but the home was well appointed, and our trip was booked on 6 weeks notice for what is a prime rental season so I didn't have much time to shop/negotiate. But even at top rates these villas are still less expensive than 2 WDW value rooms, a family suite, FW cabin, DVC points rentals, etc, which just can't compare from a comfort/ammenities standpoint - and you are no further to the parks. I think the villas and townhomes at WH and other nearby resort communities are a great value compared to other accomodations in the area.

As to driving? No, I'm not insane - we flew.;) We arrived back in Manchester and drove down to NYC for the game and to see relatives and then back here. I traded some Marriott Rewards points for lodging at the Courtyard 5th Ave (nice hotel with great location BTW). The Yankee's tiks were courtesy of my wife's boss who has season tiks and wasn't using them - we bought them at cost. A nice cheap mini-vacation on top of a really nice WDW trip - well, cheap until the girls got started shopping on 5th Ave, but that's another story...:scared1: :rotfl:

I can't imagine driving to Orlando from here(near Littleton, NH). It's a 2 hour+ drive south just to get to Manchester airport. 5 of us cost $800 with taxes total for airfare. It just isn't worth driving long distances: At roughly 3000 miles RT gasoline and tolls would have been around $500, plus 3000 miles wear and tear at an absolute minimum value of .15/mile of $450. Even with the added cost of a car rental in FL, once you figure in 4 to 6 days of driving, lodging, food, and an extra weeks vacation pay driving is simply pointless unless one has a flying phobia. I left out the part about driving 3000 miles being downright painful as well.

Welcome home 4eyedbuzzard!!!! Glad you had such a wonderful trip! :thumbsup2

~Connie

I just faxed the signed booking agreement for this exact property this morning. I am so glad you enjoyed staying here. I too saw a property that fit my needs farther out and less expensive but I decided to spring for luxury. It sounds like I made a good decision. :cool1:

I just faxed the signed booking agreement for this exact property this morning. I am so glad you enjoyed staying here. I too saw a property that fit my needs farther out and less expensive but I decided to spring for luxury. It sounds like I made a good decision. :cool1:

Just wondering, did Jan say whether or not the spa(hot tub) would be installed by your visit? She mentioned to us that they were going to install one but that it would be later this year. The only possible lack in the home right now compared to other WH villas is the lack of a connected pool spa which is pretty common in many of the other WH villas. Personally I think going for a stand alone spa as they are doing is a better way of doing it as the seating/jetting/water quality and temperature is better controlled. This wasn't an issue during our visit as the pool was quite warm and we hung out most evenings in the pool or in front of the TV but for a winter visit we would have used a spa a few times.

We also temporarily moved one of the loveseats and a coffee table during our visit in order to provide better TV seating/viewing for the five of us. Personally I'd have the LR furniture arranged a bit differently in the home, more centered on the TV, but that is a pretty minor item coming from a couch potato family.

A couple of other items:

The home's computer runs Vista(gag) and has a parental control installed. You have to wait about 30 seconds when you open a new browser window for the parental control to connect to an outside server and validate the session. Just ignore(do not close) the warning windows and refresh the page after 15 or 30 seconds and it will then connect to the internet.

Oh, we also found AAA diamond parking wonderful, especially at Epcot and MGM, but less so at AK(a trade off, a bit of a walk vs the tram delay) and MK(just park normally and take the tram). It allows you to park closer in near the handicapped parking and helps get you in and out of the park quicker. If you purchase park tiks through AAA you must request one when buying them and they will include it(not automatically enclosed).

If buying in advance I would simply buy a single one day base tik in order to get the AAA diamond and then upgrade to hoppers or waterpark+ options when I knew what the weather was going to be like that week and/or I actually needed the desired upgrade.

Oh, yeah, BTW, I think you'll be really pleased with the villa. I figured I'd just let you in on some of the nuances.

I appreciate the hints. Yes, she promised the stand alone spa/hot tub will be installed before our trip in January. It was one of the must haves in my selection criteria. I know there is a good chance we will run into cold weather and I want to be able to soak in something hot and bubbly after walking in the parks all day.

Funny thing about the furniture, my DS and I love our tv and I thought we would probably have to do some rearranging to enjoy it.

Thanks again.

Great review:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
And the nuances are the best part...a great vacation is in the details:)

So glad you enjoyed your vacation...when are you going back??;)
I'll move you over to the Reviews Board:)

:sunny:

Great review:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
And the nuances are the best part...a great vacation is in the details:)

So glad you enjoyed your vacation...when are you going back??;)
I'll move you over to the Reviews Board:)

TY, I guess I should have posted it here to begin with - I forgot that there's a sub-forum.

We probably won't be going back for a few years. We usually go back every 4 or 5 years - we wait until Haunted Mansion is closed! Seriously, I've been to WDW 5 times now over the years and EVERY time I've been there it's been closed either temporarily or for refurb. :confused3 :headache: Maybe next time...

TY, I guess I should have posted it here to begin with - I forgot that there's a sub-forum.

We probably won't be going back for a few years. We usually go back every 4 or 5 years - we wait until Haunted Mansion is closed! Seriously, I've been to WDW 5 times now over the years and EVERY time I've been there it's been closed either temporarily or for refurb. :confused3 :headache: Maybe next time...

Not to worry - it really is good to post reviews first on the "Big" board...lots of views, and then I'll move it, hopefully more folks will follow and read more:)

...and LOL on the HM!
:wizard:that it's open next trip!!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter