Windsor Hills....How to chose?

Mophia'sMom

January 2009...Family's 1st Trip To Disney
So I did an inquiry for homes/condos for rent in Windsor Hills, and I received hundreds of replies. I have narrowed it down to about 20 that fit our needs and budget. My problem is I have no idea which to chose. What questions should I ask? Any hidden fees I should be on the look out for? Any help would be great, since I need to get this booked being tha our trip is the first week of January. Thanks

We just returned from a 5-night stay at Windsor Hills, Mickey's Safari (May 7-12th)! They have a wonderful place, very reasonable and many things are provided that other places require you to rent, ex. high chair, bed safety rails, stroller, pool toys, booster seat, children's DVDs, Playstation etc. We were near the clubhouse/pool, and the gate. It took us about 30 minutes from the front door of the condo to the turnstyles at MK, 15 minutes to the turnstyles at AK! I highly rec. this place. The owners were great to deal with.

Nancy

Wow! I remember trying to research Windsor Hills for our trip in January 2008 and I really feel for you. Trying to pick just the right place to stay is almost a painful process isn't it? I had really extensive notes about every single detail or pitfall I could imagine and would love to share with you, but I think I blocked it out after our trip. :lmao: Like you I wrote a list of priorities, narrowed it down, reviewed those 20 or so places every couple days and finally emailed about 8 people back. Having stayed on site for almost all of our previous trips, I was concerned. Basically you have to feel comfortable with the person you are dealing with because there has to be a certain amount of trust between the parties. There were a few people that emailed me back or called me and I just didn't get a good vibe, ya know? We stayed at a condo called Mickey's Hideaway (I think related to Mickey's Safari referenced by the previous poster) and it was absolutely awesome! My in-laws and extended family stayed at a house by the same owner and it was great too! Not sure what your priorities are, but the owner was really nice and informative and to me that is almost as important as the condo/house itself. She always answered my questions in a timely manner and never made me feel as if I was being a pain (occasionally I am a bit too detail oriented for my own good)! Good luck with your decision!

We just returned from a 5-night stay at Windsor Hills, Mickey's Safari (May 7-12th)! They have a wonderful place, very reasonable and many things are provided that other places require you to rent, ex. high chair, bed safety rails, stroller, pool toys, booster seat, children's DVDs, Playstation etc. We were near the clubhouse/pool, and the gate. It took us about 30 minutes from the front door of the condo to the turnstyles at MK, 15 minutes to the turnstyles at AK! I highly rec. this place. The owners were great to deal with.

Nancy

Nancy, you mentioned that you were near the clubhouse/pool - do you remember which building it was. I, too am looking at these condos and would love to know the location in relation to walking to the big pool. Did you use the resort pool? How was it? Thanks for any info.

Sara

First off, check the building number if you are staying in a condo. The higher the number, thc closer the building is to the pool. Look at this resort map.

http://www.davh.com/WINDSOR HILLS RESORT MAP.htm

The condo buildings are numbered. Then, ask yourself if you want to be close to the clubhouse or not. If you go to bed early, the pool noise could keep you awake, although the weather in January may be too cold for outdoor swimming at night anyway.

Ask what is included. We got to our condo and found out we had to buy our own toilet paper (one roll per bathroom was all we got), our own paper towels, trash bags, dishwasher soap, and bath soap. We did get a blow dryer, ironing board & iron, and no extra charge for a crib, high chair (didn't need anyway), free phone and free long distance, and playstation w/ games.

Ask if there is an extra cleaning fee. Many of the owners will waive the fee if you stay at least 7 days. I think some of the owners are negotiable on their prices. We were able to get $10 less per night and no cleaning fee, so ask. All they can say is no. Many will say yes rather than risk an empty condo. The poor economy is hurting them, too.

Ask to see pictures of the actual condo you will be in. I found one owner who said they assign condos upon arrival and only provided stock photos of the resort itself. Not good enough for me.

Check on the cancellation fee. Many owners don't have one at all or the most you lose is 20% while others will take it all. Also, find out the method of payment. Some only take Paypal and want to charge you the paypal fee, but will let you mail a check to waive the fee. That means though that you have to have the money paid up front vs paying it off on a credit card.

And, as others have mentioned, if you feel that the owner is friendly and replies back to you in a timely manner, then thiink of that as well. If you can't get a hold of an owner and your A.C. (or heat in the winter) goes out, you will be miserable!

Good luck! I'm sure you'll find something wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP MOM View Post

Nancy

Nancy, you mentioned that you were near the clubhouse/pool - do you remember which building it was. I, too am looking at these condos and would love to know the location in relation to walking to the big pool. Did you use the resort pool? How was it? Thanks for any info.

We were at Mickey's Clubhouse (5BR home) and it was a couple of blocks from the pool. We let the teens walk there. We were right next to the big playground.

These owners are incredible! As SLP said, they have thought of ebverything and provided it all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter