Will you spend whatever it takes on a pet?

DawnM

DIS Veteran
Long story short, my co-worker told me today that between her two dogs, she has spent over $15K on surgeries and treatments.

That does not include regular check ups, or shots, or food, etc.....JUST speciality care.

Do you have a finite number you will spend? Does it depend on the age? The problem the dog is having? The possible results?

So many factors come into play. We have a dog that had a stroke when he was only 3 years old. At that time we spent about $2000 on him and in the end it was a toss up as to whether he would survive. He did. Fast forward to today. He's 10 years old, almost blind, has trouble getting around and is diabetic. He is on prescription food and gets insulin twice a day. He goes in every few months for appointments. We spend a decent amount monthly on him. But if he got worse I don't think we'd spend more. Right now we are just trying to prolong his life and he is comfortable and still has a good quality of life. But yeah I couldn't do $15000, I don't have that kind of money.

I would do what I could, but wouldn't break the bank and jeopardize my finances because of it. Our dog that passed away two years ago had a massive amount of issues--heart condition, Cushing's, and Hypothyroidism. Thankfully we were able to financially manage his conditions and afford his daily meds, medical testing, and special diet.

A few years ago, both our large dogs got out. One ended up in an animal hospital with some serious damage. We spent as much on his treatment as we spent at the hospital to have our child. Luckily, we had savings to pay for his care without any trouble.

My pet of choice are cats.

How much I'd spend would greatly depend on age and overall health.

I don't have a specific amount that I would be unwilling to go over but I'd know it when I saw it.

A little over a year ago my 15yr old cat had a blood clot that went to his hind legs paralyzing him.
The vet said there was a surgery that SHOULD reverse it but he has never seen it actually work.
It would have cost $2,000.
At my cat's age and overall health having been declining for a year I felt the cost was too much so we put him down.
Had he been half that age and in good health otherwise I would have done it.

I think if you are willing to spend whatever it takes on your pet then pet health insurance would be a very good investment.

I would not spend beyond my means. $15K is beyond my means!

Our pets are wonderful, but they are not the same as a person.

Long story short, my co-worker told me today that between her two dogs, she has spent over $15K on surgeries and treatments.

That does not include regular check ups, or shots, or food, etc.....JUST speciality care.

Do you have a finite number you will spend? Does it depend on the age? The problem the dog is having? The possible results?

DW & I have discussed this regarding our 14 y/o DD (Dear Dog :D ). We do have a finite number, and all these factors will weigh on it.

We spent $400 (yes 4 hundred, no zeros missing) on a dog to get a tumor removed. They found out it was imbedded in his bone, so when it came back, we put him down. They suggested a $7,000 surgery, rehab, etc....but the dog was 12 and wasn't going to live more than another couple of years (as per his breed), so we opted to put him down ($85) My husband thought that was a lot.

Our last dog died at home. We were planning to possibly have to put her down. She was 13, in bad health, and had a tumor of some sort. She had perked back up, so we thought she was ok. I found her dead in the dining room. My husband and sons dug a hole and buried her in the backyard.

I couldn't see myself paying more than $2000 to save either my dog or cat, and for $2000 it would have to be a sure thing. I love my pets, but I wouldn't make myself financially uncomfortable to prolong their lives. I'm not the kind of person that treats my pets like my kids. To me, pets are pets. I love them and enjoy them while they're here with us, but they're not worth spending thousands of dollars on. Probably not a popular opinion, but an honest one. :)

There is really no hard limit, but as others have said it will depend greatly on the circumstances and the quality of life the pet will have afterwards.

My mom spent a good chunk getting some radiation for her cat's tumor, and it worked very well. The poor thing had a tumor in her sinuses making it hard for her to breathe. The radiation shrunk it down to almost nothing, and the cat was breathing normally and was back to her old self for years afterward. Eventually the tumor came back, but the cat lived a long life and was more comfortable after the treatment, so I would do that. I don't know the exact amount, but thousands for sure.

We bought pet insurance so that we don't have to make a decision on our pet's health based on money.

What exactly does it cover and how much is yours? What I am looking at costs roughly $50/mo (so $600 per year, plus $250 deductible and 90% reimbursable) and only covers up to $5,000 per year. So, when the pet is 15, it will have cost around $10K.

Yes, I would spend any amount for my dog. However, I wouldn't do anything that would cause more or extend any kind of suffering if that makes sense.

Its important to find the right vet. Some have become the closest thing to a time share salesman

This is my thought as well. My pets of choice are cats. I admit that my Morgan, who inspired my DIS name, was hyperthyroid and we did spend quite a bit on the radioiodine treatment. However, it greatly improved her quality of life and she lived until she was almost 17.

However, more recently I do believe that there are vets who push the envelope and are way too fast to recommend tests, drugs and other very $$$ treatments that would have been considered crazy not that many years ago. I think the medical advancements are great, and so are having choices, but there are vets who make people feel guilty for not spending thousands on their pets.

I love my cats, but $15k would probably be beyond my limit for one pet. I also feel that since pets do not necessarily understand what is going on, I am not sure subjecting them to countless office visits, pills and other things that they hate is really the way to go. I want them to be happy, healthy and live a long life, but not one that is unreasonable or uncomfortably extended due to expensive intervention.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter