Will you get the Covid vaccine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time I get a bit questioning is when people say they are doing their part by staying home, wearing masks, limiting contact with people and more but then say they won't get the vaccine or they are going to wait for a long while. The one poster I asked explained their reason and I respect it but it's hard not to look at the phrase 'doing your part' and say a vaccine is just the other side of the coin.

I don't want to get that conversation started again but bringing up the 'righteousness people' made me think of this coin metaphorically.

Some people don't equate putting a piece of fabric on their face, or staying away from people the same as injecting a substance into their body. I definitely don't. I have my reasons, they are valid and people are free to dismiss them but that says more about their willingness (or lack there of) to see another's perspective.

She's factually correct that in order to attain herd immunity, those who CANNOT get vaccinated need to be the only ones who don't.

I'm disagreeing with her multiple "I think" statements.
Hope that helps you with your comprehension problem.

Really? Hundreds of thousands have received the vaccines? Got any thing to back that up? I thought Pfizer's study was 46K, and half got the placebo. Moderna had 30K, of which half got the placebo. You haven't even gotten to 50K of people with the vaccine, much less hundreds of thousands (yet).
Actually: 2 people received vaccine to 1 person receiving placebo. Also, the side effects experienced are caused by the body's immune response.

Some people don't equate putting a piece of fabric on their face, or staying away from people the same as injecting a substance into their body. I definitely don't. I have my reasons, they are valid and people are free to dismiss them but that says more about their willingness (or lack there of) to see another's perspective.
Understood but don't use the phrase doing your part. It's really that that I take issue with because without it you're already taking your own choice into your hands. When you say it you say you're listening to the medical experts in your area, you're trusting science who tells you these are the necessary measures at this time, you're listening to your local officials who are saying stay home when possible...and then you turn around and decide to reject those very same things when you're advised, pleaded with and more to take the vaccine to protect others. And I don't think this is the way with the other person at all that I asked but a lot of people have inadvertently taken on a :snooty: regarding their precautions they are taking but some of them now are saying all the reasons why they don't, valid or not, want to get the vaccine. I don't think it's hard not to see how that comes off, at least it doesn't seem hard to me.

Understood but don't use the phrase doing your part. It's really that that I take issue with because without it you're already taking your own choice into your hands. When you say it you say you're listening to the medical experts in your area, you're trusting science who tells you these are the necessary measures at this time, you're listening to your local officials who are saying stay home when possible...and then you turn around and decide to reject those very same things when you're advised, pleaded with and more to take the vaccine to protect others. And I don't think this is the way with the other person at all that I asked but a lot of people have inadvertently taken on a :snooty: regarding their precautions they are taking but some of them now are saying all the reasons why they don't, valid or not, I don't think it's hard not to see how that comes off, at least it doesn't seem hard to me.

YES. The same people who told you masks and social distancing work are the ones telling you it's safe and incredibly important to get vaxxed.

Oh please with all the righteousness people. We have no duty to inject ourselves with anything to protect you. You hold no moral high-ground here, the reason you are getting the vaccine is to protect yourself first and foremost. You aren't doing it for anyone else and you know it.
No one has a duty to do anything. However, businesses do have a right to refuse admission if they desire. I can believe that airlines could refuse to carry unvaccinated customers.

Heck yes, I'm vaccinating for me! I want to return to my pre-Covid life. The sooner the better. I'm hoping that others feel the same. I am sick of hiding under my bed!

Oh please with all the righteousness people. We have no duty to inject ourselves with anything to protect you. You hold no moral high-ground here, the reason you are getting the vaccine is to protect yourself first and foremost. You aren't doing it for anyone else and you know it.
This is so offensive to me. Thanks for telling me my motivation. You know nothing about my situation. I’m doing it for my husband in his early 40s who was born with a heart condition, has a pacemaker, and has had 2 open heart surgeries. He is high risk. So you bet your last dollar I am getting the vaccine to protect him first...I don’t want to bring anything home to him. And my kid will be the vaccine as well.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not taking a brand new vaccine or drug until you see it used effectively in the population with no side effects. I think the anti-vaccine crowd are generally nutbags but I also think it is important to think very hard about putting a new drug or vaccine into your body. I also don't think it is in the same league as wearing masks, social distancing, closing non-essential businesses or anything else.

YMMV.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not taking a brand new vaccine or drug until you see it used effectively in the population with no side effects. I think the anti-vaccine crowd are generally nutbags but I also think it is important to think very hard about putting a new drug or vaccine into your body. I also don't think it is in the same league as wearing masks, social distancing, closing non-essential businesses or anything else.

YMMV.
But did you think it was OK to close down businesses, some of them for good? At great personal loss to the owners? Do you think it's OK to keep them closed while you think about whether to take the vaccine?
I'm not weighing taking the vaccine against the "cost" of wearing a mask and social distancing. I'm weighing it against the loss of livelihood through closed businesses for many.

But did you think it was OK to close down businesses, some of them for good? At great personal loss to the owners? Do you think it's OK to keep them closed while you think about whether to take the vaccine?

I am perfectly fine with closing down businesses during a pandemic. Businesses come and go, lives and health does not. I do think once there is a vaccine and it has been distributed to the at risk population it is ok to start opening everything up again.

I also don't think it is in the same league as wearing masks, social distancing, closing non-essential businesses or anything else.
I disagree. Those were things done to protect people and to limit spread. A vaccine is designed to protect people and limit spread. Just because any one person may feel more strongly towards a vaccine (understandable or not) than towards masks, social distancing or closing non-essential businesses does not in fact make them not in the same league.

I disagree. Those were things done to protect people and to limit spread. A vaccine is designed to protect people and limit spread. Just because any one person may feel more strongly towards a vaccine (understandable or not) than towards masks, social distancing or closing non-essential businesses does not in fact make them not in the same league.

I will agree to disagree.

Yes, my DH and I are 72 and we want to get our life back like most everyone. We wear our masks, do pick-up for our groceries, doing carry out to support our local restaurants, and stay home unless absolutely necessary.
We want to see our grandchildren, travel, go to movies, and just live! My Great Grandmother died of the Spanish Flu in 1918 and I don't want my name/info added that same way on our family tree.

Fingers are crossed that by the end of summer our country/world will be awakened from this long nightmare!

As soon as I can. DDs, one teacher and one EMT, should be able to get it soon. And our parents (70s with health conditions). DH and I are mid 40s and healthy, knock wood, so we won't be in the line up for a while I presume.

I don't usually get flu vaccines, and never had the flu that is covered by them.
However, I will definitely get the covid vaccine. We are in the high risk group, so will get it as soon as we can.
I agree with "Trip" on all points. Can't wait to get back to living a normal life. I know, I know, it is not the be all and end all but it is a start.:)

I am perfectly fine with closing down businesses during a pandemic. Businesses come and go, lives and health does not. I do think once there is a vaccine and it has been distributed to the at risk population it is ok to start opening everything up again.
So the situation is critical enough to strip people of their business income. Just not critical enough for you to take the vaccine?

So the situation is critical enough to strip people of their business income. Just not critical enough for you to take the vaccine?

I didn't state whether or not I was going to get it. I'm in the lowest risk group so once I'm allowed to get it I very well might.

I was talking about the general belief that it isn't out of the ordinary to wait on any new medication before you put it into your body. I don't think that is unreasonable and while a closed business can come back any negative health effects from any medication may not. It is a much higher bar than anything done economically in my opinion.

But we can also agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter