• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will the back side of the EE mountain ever be finished?

I can't see the arcticle, but I can pretty much promise you it's intentional. Theme parks almost never "finish off" the back sides of buildings or attractions. Those façades are expensive, so they are intentionally stopped where the line of sight from the "on stage" areas stops.

That's not saying that they don't sometimes become visible. Often when an attraction is newer you will be able to see the structure behind the façade until the plants/trees grow to their intended size.

A great example of this is the Flying Dutchman from PoTC2 that you can see at Castaway Cay. If you ever get the chance to see the back side of it, it's actually a hollow shell not a real boat. ;)

I can't see the arcticle, but I can pretty much promise you it's intentional. Theme parks almost never "finish off" the back sides of buildings or attractions.

You are right that Disney doesn't "finish off" attraction buildings...

that is assuming, they are not in public view.

The pictures in the attached link were taken from the AK parking lot.

Anyways...I was just wondering if this is the way it still looks because there was a reference in the article that it wasn't going to be left that way.

There was a post last week on the Orlando Attractions Magazine blog that showed some pics of the back of EE taken from Blizzard Beach. Take a look:

bbblog2.jpg

More here: http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog/?p=171#more-171

There was a post last week on the Orlando Attractions Magazine blog that showed some pics of the back of EE taken from Blizzard Beach. Take a look:

bbblog2.jpg

More here: http://www.attractionsmagazine.com/blog/?p=171#more-171

I hate to bring up "What would Walt do", but this is the kind of thing that spoils "the magic" and I believe would never be allowed during Walt's lifetime. Once again, I have no problem with this unfinished product, as long as it is out of the public eye. That is obviously not the case in regards to EE.

I hate to bring up "What would Walt do", but this is the kind of thing that spoils "the magic" and I believe would never be allowed during Walt's lifetime. Once again, I have no problem with this unfinished product, as long as it is out of the public eye. That is obviously not the case in regards to EE.

these angles are from a perspective that is not someplace teh public can go. from most vantage points, its finished. once the trees grow around it, it wont be visible from teh parking lota anymore either...well at least i hope so

It looks finished to me. How would you have them finish it?

Are you serious? :confused3 From the photographers point of view it looks like a mountain built on top of a building. They couldn't make finish off the backside to make it look like a mountain on all sides?

once the trees grow around it, it wont be visible from teh parking lota anymore either...well at least i hope so

That was my point behind posting this originally...does it still appear this way from the AK parking lot?:confused3 Instead, I get some smart response such as "it looks finished to me!"

I often wonder why they don't try a little harder to "finish" it. Just driving around the property you can sometimes catch glimpses of the back of Everest. The view is great from inside the park, but a little more work to the rest of the structure wouldn't hurt.

That was my point behind posting this originally...does it still appear this way from the AK parking lot?:confused3 Instead, I get some smart response such as "it looks finished to me!"

How was this a "smart response"?? :confused3 I thought it was an honest one. She was simply saying that it looked as if it was finished to her. Sheesh...

How was this a "smart response"?? :confused3 I thought it was an honest one. She was simply saying that it looked as if it was finished to her. Sheesh...

If someone "honestly" considers the back side of EE a finished product, then I guess I'll just move on from this thread. There is nothing more to say.:confused:

From the Summet Plummet and Slush Gusher area of Blizzard Beach, you can definitely see some of the "unfinished" back of Everest, though from my vantage point it wasn't as visible as the photograph posted here. I don't think they considered this when they initiated the design. But then, they didn't design the Haunted Mansion with Google Earth in mind, and the actual building that the ride goes through is hidden inside the park. It doesn't bother me, really.

It is very interesting that this 'appears' to be so visible from different vantage points, but I do wonder if you have to 'work' to get these views. I know on the Backstage Tour they pointed out how they do finish what is visible from common areas. The tops of the buildings on the backside of Epcot are finished because they are visible to the upper floors of some of the resorts.

AK has been around for awhile now, so I am curious to see exactly where these pictures are taken, I know that I have never seen the backside of EE, but I also don't go to Blizzard Beach either.

From the Summet Plummet and Slush Gusher area of Blizzard Beach, you can definitely see some of the "unfinished" back of Everest, though from my vantage point it wasn't as visible as the photograph posted here. I don't think they considered this when they initiated the design. But then, they didn't design the Haunted Mansion with Google Earth in mind, and the actual building that the ride goes through is hidden inside the park. It doesn't bother me, really.

So if I have this right.. when you are a 200 ft ladder at Blizzard Beach.. you can see the unfinished side of EE?

I'm sorry... there's better uses of their money than finishing the backside of a mountain that trees will eventually hide with time anyway... (Like say finishing Pop Century.. The Legendary Years)

That's my opinion... :)

Knox.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter