Will Mulan speak in Chinese?

Babydreamz

Mouseketeer
My daughter is learning Mandarin in school and would love to be able to speak to Mulan. Will Mulan answer? If so, I'm going to prep her on what to say.

I searched and found an old post from 2013 that there is a chance that Mulan isn't even Chinese. Anyone with recent experience that can chime in?

Thanks.

My daughter is learning Mandarin in school and would love to be able to speak to Mulan. Will Mulan answer? If so, I'm going to prep her on what to say.

I searched and found an old post from 2013 that there is a chance that Mulan isn't even Chinese. Anyone with recent experience that can chime in?

Thanks.

Since she speaks English in the movie, my guess is she will only speak English at the M&G. You may be able to find other cm who do. They'll have a something on their name tag that shows which languages they may use when speaking to guests.

Probably not. As pp mentioned, Mulan speaks English in her movie. Speaking another language would be out of character for her. CM's in the China pavilion are all from China and should be bi-lingual. Have your daughter speak Mandarin to the CMs at the Kidcot stop in China. They will write her name and a message in Chinese for her. You can use their free Kidcot "fan" or bring a nicer autograph book or Epcot passport, etc.

Thanks.

My niece is quite fluent in Madarin as she's been learning Chinese in school as well. We didn't suggest she try to speak to Mulan, but she did speak to some of the CMs in the China pavilion and they thought it was great to speak to a little blonde, blue-eyed girl in Chinese. They also wrote some special things for her at the Kidcot station.

I am sure "Ni Hao" and "Xi Xi" would be understood and appreciated by anyone who is Mulan. One our most magical memories was Mulan taking my daughters (both born in China) by the hand and showing them details inside the Temple of Heaven and looking for Mushu among the lily pads. There was no one else waiting to see her at the time. I have heard other stories of Mulan taking special interest in kiddos- so don't be afraid to try speaking a little.

Thanks everyone!

I am sure "Ni Hao" and "Xi Xi" would be understood and appreciated by anyone who is Mulan. One our most magical memories was Mulan taking my daughters (both born in China) by the hand and showing them details inside the Temple of Heaven and looking for Mushu among the lily pads. There was no one else waiting to see her at the time. I have heard other stories of Mulan taking special interest in kiddos- so don't be afraid to try speaking a little.

Thanks, I guess we'll try the "ni hao" and see where it goes from there. We will definitely see the Kidcot Stations and speak to the CMs there.

So cool that you had such a great Mulan. Hope we get a great one too!

My son is taking Chinese in school and talked a bit to the CM's in China at Epcot. They loved chatting with him, and Z had fun using some of his skills.

I understood that there really isn't such a thing as "Chinese". Because the country is so large there are some pretty big differences in language in the country. I worked with a guy of Chinese extraction who was unable to speak with his wife's family because of the difference.

I agree with others; Mulan most likely won't be prepared to speak in any Chinese because her character does not. However, my 2 kids have learned some Japanese via their Okinawan karate training. When in the Japan pavilion they speak Japanese with the cms & it's pretty cool! So definitely try to engage with the cms in China!

I understood that there really isn't such a thing as "Chinese". Because the country is so large there are some pretty big differences in language in the country. I worked with a guy of Chinese extraction who was unable to speak with his wife's family because of the difference.

From what my niece tells me, There are different dialects. However, the CMs in the China pavilion definitely spoke Mandarin and had no problems communicating with her. In fact they told us they wouldn't know she was not from China if they weren't looking at her. Lol

From what my niece tells me, There are different dialects. However, the CMs in the China pavilion definitely spoke Mandarin and had no problems communicating with her. In fact they told us they wouldn't know she was not from China if they weren't looking at her. Lol
They said the same thing to a little boy in front of us who greeted them & then hid behind his mother. :rotfl: He actually said "hi nao," but that was okay. They didn't embarrass him. "His accent is perfect! Are you sure he isn't Chinese?! We'd never know!" The compliment made him so happy, and they wrote something special on his Duffy stick.

OP, if your daughter would like to practice her speaking with them, I'm sure they would make her feel very special.

The only character I've ever met that spoke to me in another language was Pocahontas, which of course is in the movie. There is a good chance Mulan's friend doesn't know Mandarin (or, as someone mentioned, is even of Chinese descent). However the CMs in the China pavilion are, and will be able to communicate with her. Check their nametags, languages they want to speak with guests will be represented (in that language however!).

That's true, but not the whole picture. Every city has it's own dialect (which is basically an entirely different language, really,) but everyone is required to learn Mandarin in school, because it's the official language of the government. There are some older people who didn't learn it, but most people who were raised in China are at least proficient in Mandarin (although their generally much more comfortable speaking their own language.)

Children of Chinese immigrants who were raised in this country are often a different story. Many of them don't speak Mandarin, but only the language(s) of their parents.

Last edited:
Two years ago my daughter was very disappointed that Belle wasn't able to speak French and didn't understand why she would say to her Bonjour but couldn't understand her. Chances are that Mulan won't understand or speak Chinese.

The only character I've ever met that spoke to me in another language was Pocahontas, which of course is in the movie. There is a good chance Mulan's friend doesn't know Mandarin (or, as someone mentioned, is even of Chinese descent). However the CMs in the China pavilion are, and will be able to communicate with her. Check their nametags, languages they want to speak with guests will be represented (in that language however!).
What language did Pocahontas speak to you in? Other than English. Just curious..

Two years ago my daughter was very disappointed that Belle wasn't able to speak French and didn't understand why she would say to her Bonjour but couldn't understand her. Chances are that Mulan won't understand or speak Chinese.
Highly unlikely for Mulan to speak or comprehend Chinese when "friends of" Mulan are 3rd or 4th generation Americans of Vietnamese, Korean, or Filipino descent.

While the original version of Mulan was written in Mandarin, the Disney version was depicted in Cantonese.

You can tell by them referring to her as "Fa" Mulan. Fa is the Cantonese pronunciation of Mulan's family name. In Mandarin it is pronounced "Hua".

So, if they stuck to the Disney version, Mulan would have to speak Cantonese to "stay in character".

ETA: I just realised that this comes off as a know it all, smarty pants comment. That wasn't the intention at all, just a fun bit of trivia I know and wanted to share.

Last edited:
While the original version of Mulan was written in Mandarin, the Disney version was depicted in Cantonese.

You can tell by them referring to her as "Fa" Mulan. Fa is the Cantonese pronunciation of Mulan's family name. In Mandarin it is pronounced "Hua".

So, if they stuck to the Disney version, Mulan would have to speak Cantonese to "stay in character".

ETA: I just realised that this comes off as a know it all, smarty pants comment. That wasn't the intention at all, just a fun bit of trivia I know and wanted to share.
Thanks, I found this interesting!!

not at all, that's really interesting! do you know the reason for the change?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter