• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wilderness or Animal Kingdom Lodge????

PrincessSophiasMom

Mouseketeer
We plan on booking a long weekend late August and we know we want to stay at either Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge but we cant decide. We have never stayed or even been in either resort!!!! Last trip we stayed at Old Key West and we really did not love it. It will just be me, DH, and DD (6) going on this trip. We are doing 3 park days, 1 day at Animal Kingdom and 2 days at Magic Kingdom. If you had to choose between these 2 resorts which one would you choose and why? Thanks for any input!!!

For construction reasons alone, I would go AKV. But even without that, I prefer AKV due to choice of dining, better themed, better pools.

I agree with DisDadDVC. Due to construction at WL on the DVC side, I would choose AKL. We love Kidani with a Savannah view. If your DD enjoys animals, as mine does, AKL is fantastic.

I would go with AKL! If your 6 year old DD is anything like my 6 year old DD, the theming of AKL is more appealing. My daughter would choose the animals any day.

DD does love animals and is currently obsessed with The Lion Guard on Disney Jr., but we have talked about staying at Wilderness for YEARS now!!! I think that is what is making this so difficult, they both have such an appeal to us!!!! We need to start checking out the different resorts each trip so we can say we have at least been to them all lol.

WL is more convenient to MK, but the construction is really an ongoing concern and it's hard to say what impact it will have in 6 months. AKL is a safer option right now.

Construction aside, I like AKL better. They are both great resorts and really have a lot of similarities (it kind of seemed like AKL was modeled after WL but with an African theme), but to me AKL was fresher and seemed more updated. It is definitely nice to boat around the lake at WL and be able to take the boat to the Contemporary and MK, but I'm not rushing to stay at WL again.

We were faced with the same choice, and went with WL for an upcoming trip in September (as well as multiple past trips). We LOVE both lodges, and the architectural features that they share. The construction may be an issue for some, but we knew about it ahead of time and are ok with not having the Villas pool, boat rentals, lobby elevators, spa, and health club. On the plus side half of the main resort is not in use, so crowd levels have been nicer since it closed.

Besides the construction, WL wins for us because of its beautiful location on Bay Lake. We like having boat transportation options to MK, CR, and Fort Wilderness. Even the bus from WL to MK is noticeably quicker than the bus from AKL to AK. AKL does have its advantages too though, such as a zero entry pool, great kids playground, bigger QS food area, and of course the animals.

Either way you should have a great trip, and both resorts share some great features. Good luck with your choice.

They are both fabulous resorts! The WL is more convenient, but we enjoy AKL more because of the animals. Just a magical experience to view the savanna after the hustle and bustle of the parks! You really can't go wrong, but I would go with AKL due to the construction alone. Enjoy!!!

Stayed at both, love them both but I would probably pick AKL at this point in time (construction) and with a young one.
- WL = major construction all around it, clear cut of trees and all bursts the bubble a little for me.
- WL does have the boat to MK but it's not necessarily a speedy option, AKL bus might be faster depending on timing.
- AKL for young kids with the animals is AWESOME, the older kids not so much.
- AKL animals for anyone, I know of no resort in our country where you can sit and watch exotic animals from a balcony or rocking chair.

Same designer, sames plays on architecture, rooms very similar.
Feel like WL is upscale rustic America, while AKL is exotic artsy ethnic.
Both great pool areas and love the intimate feel of WL especially with the lake in the background.
AKL feel is more deluxe from the restaurants to the merchandise to lobby.

We plan on booking a long weekend late August and we know we want to stay at either Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge but we cant decide. We have never stayed or even been in either resort!!!! Last trip we stayed at Old Key West and we really did not love it. It will just be me, DH, and DD (6) going on this trip. We are doing 3 park days, 1 day at Animal Kingdom and 2 days at Magic Kingdom. If you had to choose between these 2 resorts which one would you choose and why? Thanks for any input!!!

We've stayed at both and love both for different reasons. As others have said, WL is currently undergoing construction that is supposed to last awhile, so if construction would be an issue for you, AKL is a great alternative. AKL isn't as convenient to MK as WL is, but we didn't find the buses at AKL to be bad at all. The resort is sort of isolated from everything, but in our experience, it never took more than maybe 5 extra minutes to get around. Also, since the buses only service AKL and Kidani, there's no sharing with any other resort(s). Good luck deciding, but I think you'll have a great trip no matter which one you choose as both resorts are beautiful with great pools, nice atmospheres, and good dining options.

You will love AKL! We stayed there in December for our first time. We ended up coming back to the resort several afternoons to just relax & we never do that! It is such a charming peaceful resort & I loved watching the animals. We booked bounce back for this December at AKL as we loved it there.

I really like WL too as its really pretty. However, I prefer AKL. We always go to WL & eat supper at AP. It is such a pretty resort to visit & look around at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter