WILD animals at WDW

We've seen deer, turkeys, rabbits, alligators, anole lizards, rats (outside of Tusker House, in the greenery around the bases of the trees), armadillos, all kinds of birds. Fortunately no snakes!!

Do cockroaches count? DD bent down once to investigate what she thought was an anole on the outdoor staircase at BWI only to discover a HUGE cockroach, easily about 2" long! She almost passed out; she had to lie down on the sofa in the lobby for a good 20 minutes before we could continue out to the parking lot!

We had a chameleon on our door frame when we stayed at OKW. We left the villa in the morning and DD noticed him, dark green, sitting on top of the doorframe. When we came home that night he was still there, but he was a pastel blue/green, exactly the same color as the stucco on the building. Very cool!

And NOT those supposed to be there

WE have seen wild rabbit at bar b Q place at Animal Kingdom

Wild deer on bike path between WL and Fort Wilderness

Anyone else

In November there was a raccoon digging through the garbage by the cabins at Fort Wilderness. I got him on film but because it was dark he's hard to make out. We also see a lot of "wild" turkeys and deer at Fort Wilderness although none of them seem very wild. :-)

At Pop Century I've seen rats the size of a small cat outside. :/ They also have big rat traps hidden in the shrubbery there if you look for them.

locals.jpg

In canopy of Animal Kingdom just after opening.

tress now gone.jpg

View never to be seen again as these trees have been removed on far bank beside bridge near Lion King Show.

Bird in Dinoland are kinda funny, because aren't birds supposed to be decendents of Dinos in the first place?
Oh, and the large cockroachs? They are called Palmetto bugs. Of course, they are really just big roaches, but I guess the name makes them seem nicer. Couple details about them: They are not German roaches, so if you see one, it is likely the only one in the house, not like the infesting German roach. (not very reassuring when you see it though!). They also don't scatter like a civilized roach should do - I've had a couple "charge" me. And they fly. Yes, they can fly. EEK!

Otter on the way from POR to DTD

A hawk landed in a tree right above me at AK. No one else wvwn noticed it.
I took a couple of pica

I almost stepped on a snake in Animal Kingdom one night - we then stood around to form a barrier so no one else would step on him, and shuffled with him until he made it to the grass - don't know what kind he was, but the CM didn't seem too alarmed.

Reactions: rkw
My wife and I meet a snake at Beach Club. We were walking along the sidewalk that leads along the side of the building where the EPCOT path is on your right. Just at the corner to go behind the building she stops. A snake was about to cross the path and had his head and about 6 inches of his body out of the shrubs. He was knee high off the ground up in the shrub! A jogger came from behind as we watched and almost hit him as she passed! He then decided to go back in his shrub. Could not get his picture.

This January at Fort Wilderness we had 6 wild turkeys strolling around our loop. It was really neat they weren't getting into anyone's food or anything they were just walking around in the morning sunshine.:earseek:

We've seen all the animals previously mentioned with the exception of the otters.

Our most "exotic" bird sighting was a Bald Eagle. Spotted it several times in and around Epcot.

Most notable? An otter in the waterways around downtown Disney. It swam in front of the boat like a dolphin.

We saw several bunnies and a snake at CSR. When we tried to move closer to one of the bunnies for a picture he did not move. He kept eating. Funny! We also saw a few squirrels at the pool trying to get food.

My sister and I were on the Jungle Cruise on Thursday, Feb 26th and there was a racoon walking near one of the scenes. The CM said that it was the first time that had happened.

We were riding the Walt Disney railroad last fall and a deer was walking near some of the statues of deer. The RR person said "yes, folks, that was a real deer you just saw. "

We've seen lots of bunnies and squirrels. We also saw deer one morning when we were riding the monorail from the TTC to the MK.

Bunnies in the family group gorilla enclosure at AK this past thursday. Gorillas were pretty much at the glass and bunnies were about 3 feet from daddy. The baby gorillas are so cute!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter