• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wifi use in WDW

daver

Dismaniac
So I have seen a few threads that mention Wifi in WDW.
Can any Canucks tell me if they have used wifi in WDW and how well it worked, or didn't ?

It works fairly well. A little spotty in places but more than adequate if you're not the type who is on your phone every second of the day.

It works fairly well. A little spotty in places but more than adequate if you're not the type who is on your phone every second of the day.
Great, I am thinking we will use the cell phones, and we can use instant messenger instead of getting a cell package. Saves a bit of money!

I turned off all cell service on my phone and just used wifi through the parks and resorts. The only time it was an issue was when we were on the bus as it cuts out as soon as you pull out of the parking lot.

I might have to try it again. My last attempt (3 years?), we were trying to use the Lines app to pick our next moves. Wi-fi was so slow that we could walk to a ride and see the time for ourselves faster than the app would load it (if it didn't completely stall out). Never used it again after that, but I have a pretty generous data plan and Roam Like Home coverage now.

We rely heavily on the wi-fi in the room since hubby needs to bring his work laptop with him (he supports a few production systems that his clients would be dead-in-the-water without) and he's never had trouble connecting and doing whatever he needs. Last year we stayed in the Dolphin and it sucked --- even when we paid for the upgraded service -- unless he went to either the lobby or sat outside one of the conference rooms.

I used the Lines & MDE app and only had problems inside some of the rides if i wanted to post an actual wait time. All of our kids used Facebook Messenger to stay in touch with me if i was in the room using the tablet and we texted no problem. Depending on which carrier you use it can cut out. @daver I noticed you're staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the shop and lobby were two places i had no service.

ETA:just realized I'm not sure when i had my data turned on or not but i was EVER able to maintain a connection in AKL

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm a Canuck, but I can tell you it works fine most places. If you leave a park or resort you will lose the connect while in transit. I have no problems with the internet but their own app can be hit and miss and I have to reconnect several times to get anywhere but if I'm reading the news on bbc.com it stays connected. Strange.

Not sure if I'm a Canuck, but I can tell you it works fine most places. If you leave a park or resort you will lose the connect while in transit. I have no problems with the internet but their own app can be hit and miss and I have to reconnect several times to get anywhere but if I'm reading the news on bbc.com it stays connected. Strange.
Canuck -- slang term for a Canadian. So i would assume if you're in this Forum then you're prolly a Cancuk
:clown: Not sure what this lil guy is supposed to be but i always thought he has a Canadian flag on his tummy and as such considered him a Canuck !

I turned off all cell service on my phone and just used wifi through the parks and resorts. The only time it was an issue was when we were on the bus as it cuts out as soon as you pull out of the parking lot.
Wow that's good to hear!

Thanks Nurse Jackie!

I might have to try it again. My last attempt (3 years?), we were trying to use the Lines app to pick our next moves. Wi-fi was so slow that we could walk to a ride and see the time for ourselves faster than the app would load it (if it didn't completely stall out). Never used it again after that, but I have a pretty generous data plan and Roam Like Home coverage now.
Thanks !

We rely heavily on the wi-fi in the room since hubby needs to bring his work laptop with him (he supports a few production systems that his clients would be dead-in-the-water without) and he's never had trouble connecting and doing whatever he needs. Last year we stayed in the Dolphin and it sucked --- even when we paid for the upgraded service -- unless he went to either the lobby or sat outside one of the conference rooms.

I used the Lines & MDE app and only had problems inside some of the rides if i wanted to post an actual wait time. All of our kids used Facebook Messenger to stay in touch with me if i was in the room using the tablet and we texted no problem. Depending on which carrier you use it can cut out. @daver I noticed you're staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the shop and lobby were two places i had no service.

ETA:just realized I'm not sure when i had my data turned on or not but i was EVER able to maintain a connection in AKL
Good thing I'll probably be spending very little time in the hotel!

I use Lines all of the time. I have used it the last two times to time my wait and submit the times. Sometimes once you get to the actual ride if it's inside, you don't have a signal and have to wait until you get out to submit it. But I used it without issue all of the time and it was far more accurate than MDE.

I noticed you're staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the shop and lobby were two places i had no service.

We stayed there in December and had no problems anywhere at the Lodge using wifi. I never used my cell service.

I use Lines all of the time. I have used it the last two times to time my wait and submit the times. Sometimes once you get to the actual ride if it's inside, you don't have a signal and have to wait until you get out to submit it. But I used it without issue all of the time and it was far more accurate than MDE.

We stayed there in December and had no problems anywhere at the Lodge using wifi. I never used my cell service.
:thanks:

I kept my phone on airplane mode and just used the wifi for imessage and FB messanger - it's reliable enough but you will sometimes have to flip over to your wifi finder to connect. Small hassle but worth it for no major international billing from Bell (or whoever your provider is)

That's why i said it depends on your carrier --- hubby was standing next to me and he was fine ... we have 2 different carriers so figured that was the issue.

Never had any issue with wifi at WDW except in some areas at Animal Kingdom where it would be looking for a signal all the time! Especially in the Dinoland area. I also find that my iPhone battery at WDW drains very quickly so I always carry a battery stick with me to charge it.

Never had any issue with wifi at WDW except in some areas at Animal Kingdom where it would be looking for a signal all the time! Especially in the Dinoland area. I also find that my iPhone battery at WDW drains very quickly so I always carry a battery stick with me to charge it.
:thanks:

In January I tried using just the WDW internet. For the most part it worked without a problem. But after a few days of having connectivity problems while trying to book our next FP in queue, I paid $15 to Roam Mobility for a data only plan for the rest of the week. Was worth the extra cost for me

Yeah, 3 years ago it wasn't that good. But they've made great improvements and on our last trip in October had no problems with normal use. Wouldn't try streaming in the parks, too many people trying to use it at once, but that worked ok in our resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter