Why is Tower or Tower always so long of a wait?

JennCa

DIS Veteran
I have been watching wait times and it seems that Tower of Terror is not always open first thing, a long wait all day and also at park closing. Back in the day I thought TOT and Rock and Roll had similar wait times but it looks like it doesn't. Has anything changed?

Any recommendations as we want to ride it at least 2 times and only have 1 day at HS.

Jenn

I have been watching wait times and it seems that Tower of Terror is not always open first thing, a long wait all day and also at park closing. Back in the day I thought TOT and Rock and Roll had similar wait times but it looks like it doesn't. Has anything changed?

Any recommendations as we want to ride it at least 2 times and only have 1 day at HS.

Jenn
Due to distancing restrictions each ride vehicle has fewer people than in the past. That decreases the hourly capacity.

My recommendation is to get in line early for your first ride then ride it as your last ride of the day.

They are not filling the elevators full. They are not running all available elevator shafts. It takes longer to load an elevator than the limousine.

Go to it first. Or just after RnR. That is if you get to park in that pre-opening time. Good reports that the line will be shorter then. Then get in the line at the end of the day.

Even pre-COVID it could have ridiculous wait. My opinion, very few cars that hold very few people and a very very slow load and unload.

Even pre-COVID it could have ridiculous wait. My opinion, very few cars that hold very few people and a very very slow load and unload.
Actually, ToT has a high maximum hourly capacity (more potential throughput than most rides at HS, and more throughput than a significant number of rides at the other parks). Despite how they make it appear when loading, there isn't just one car per elevator shaft that gets loaded, dropped and then unloaded. At maximum capacity, there are actually 8 cars (4 cars of up to 22 people each per side) running at any given time. So because there's a car loading while another is unloading, and another is in the pre-drop show section, and yet another car is in the drop shaft, the ride is constantly running in a loop, and doesn't actually pause for loading/unloading which makes it very efficient.

Long pre-COVID waits were typically due to the ride not running at maximum capacity (like when half the elevators were shut down for the recent refurb, or something's broken, or Disney is just being cheap and doesn't want to pay to fully staff and run it), and nothing to do with the ride's potential throughput rate.

, or Disney is just being cheap and doesn't want to pay to fully staff and run it), and nothing to do with the ride's potential throughput rate.
This happens all over the place including Dollywood, which we go to a lot.

Actually, ToT has a high maximum hourly capacity (more potential throughput than most rides at HS, and more throughput than a significant number of rides at the other parks). Despite how they make it appear when loading, there isn't just one car per elevator shaft that gets loaded, dropped and then unloaded. At maximum capacity, there are actually 8 cars (4 cars of up to 22 people each per side) running at any given time. So because there's a car loading while another is unloading, and another is in the pre-drop show section, and yet another car is in the drop shaft, the ride is constantly running in a loop, and doesn't actually pause for loading/unloading which makes it very efficient.

Long pre-COVID waits were typically due to the ride not running at maximum capacity (like when half the elevators were shut down for the recent refurb, or something's broken, or Disney is just being cheap and doesn't want to pay to fully staff and run it), and nothing to do with the ride's potential throughput rate.

Well if they aren't running it at capacity then it's low capacity. It really doesn't matter what the potential is - only the actual performance. Most rides the line consistently moves. That is the one line where we stand still for longer periods of time, especially before the room, then after that move a short distance then wait. The car does pause, just like Slinky pauses while the other car goes, like 7DMT pauses while other cars go ... Then the counting, putting you on numbers and loading you on, the checks of each row .... it takes time all of which impacts the wait times.

Well if they aren't running it at capacity then it's low capacity. It really doesn't matter what the potential is - only the actual performance. Most rides the line consistently moves. That is the one line where we stand still for longer periods of time, especially before the room, then after that move a short distance then wait. The car does pause, just like Slinky pauses while the other car goes, like 7DMT pauses while other cars go ... Then the counting, putting you on numbers and loading you on, the checks of each row .... it takes time all of which impacts the wait times.

No need to get defensive. You expressed your opinion that you felt the ride is intrinsically slow, and low capacity. I simply pointed out facts about the ride which show that that is not the case - it actually has one of the highest throughput capabilities in the parks. That they sometimes don't run it at full capacity for one reason or another doesn't make it an inherently slow ride. By your logic, if a 60-seat bus was only carrying 5 people, it should be considered a low-capacity vehicle.

You know what's funny is that my brain just saw it as Tower of Terror. I never looked at it twice. I'm guessing others are in the same boat. Weird.

Dan
Same here. I had to go back and re-read the title. Our brains actually take in less information than we think they do, and much of what we perceive is actually just our brains filling in the information gaps with "best guesses" based on what they expect to see.

Thanks! I only have 1 day at HS so crossing fingers to get a 2nd one so I can do a bit more.

Long pre-COVID waits were typically due to the ride not running at maximum capacity (like when half the elevators were shut down for the recent refurb, or something's broken, or Disney is just being cheap and doesn't want to pay to fully staff and run it)
I have long been utterly dumbfounded by this practice. You have thousands of guests who have collectively paid millions of dollars waiting in long, miserable lines that could be substantially alleviated just by paying a few more cast members $15 an hour. And yet Disney won't do it. I can remember numerous times where we stood in line for longer than we expected, only to find that the ride was being run at half capacity. I believe that other websites have demonstrated that this has recently (but pre-Covid) become a common practice, and it is unusally not the result of a breakdown or equipment failure. How can the loss of goodwill be worth the drop-in-the-bucket savings in labor costs? Heck, Disney would easily make that money back just be getting those people out of lines and into stores and restaurants. I suppose that this practice also cuts down on wear and tear, and thus reduces long-term maintenance costs. But again, I just don't see the logic in pinching those pennies. It's almost like Disney wants to increase the wait times, and is going to great lengths to do so artificially. Makes no sense to me.

Agree- while we are not in normal times these due to covid- where throwing more manpower at things isn't always the answer or possible. But outside of that factor- don't see why every major attraction shouldn't be running to capacity. Disney makes money hand over fist, so its not a matter of them note being able to afford to do so Unless the wait is less than 15 minutes- then you better be running all of those "ride cars".

But I'm sure they have a formula on just how much grief they can right put people through before it affects long run attendance and it likely takes a lot to keep them from coming. In the meantime, they got your admission either way (though you'd think they'd rather have people in the parks where they can spend on concessions and merch, and not trapped in lines most the day.)

Got in line last night 30 mins prior to park close with 35 min wait posted. Took about 80 mins to board. It was brutal. DHS had a bad bad day yesterday. SDD was down almost the entire day, and at various points I believe several other headliners were down. We left at 10:30 am and went back later to finish the night it was so bad from the start with wait times at attractions that were open.

They're only boarding 4 parties per elevator, and it was already a lower throughput ride. It's also still one of the best rides in the park.

Not for single riders, in my previous two trips to Disney World in 2015 and 2017 the line for the rides moved quick. Again, I was a single rider both those times so I am sure that played a factor into it. Both times I walked in and out of the attraction within like 30-40 mins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter