• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is POFQ never included in discounts?

alyssa18o6

Disney Obsessed.
I'm just generally curious. I'm staying at POR for our trip, but I was wondering why they always exclude POFQ.

It really depends on occupancy at the resort. POFQ is a smaller resort and if it's mostly full during that time frame they don't have to offer a discount. POR is larger so usually has a discount. Same goes for little mermaid rooms at AoA not many of them and they fill up fast therefore no need to offer a discount if Disney can get full price for them.

PP is correct. POFQ is the smallest resort on property - thus making it one of the most popular. Due to the size and popularity, they don't need to offer discounts here to fill the resort up. It's usually sold to capacity.

I would go along with that theory... except, the last time we stayed there (and POFQ was excluded from discounts) the resort was unusually quiet. In fact, when we asked to stay in a specific building, they said that two of the buildings were not being occupied at the moment due to low guest numbers, so they were only placing guests in the remaining buildings (I suppose this is so they don't have to worry about housekeeping for two entire buildings if there are only a handful of guests staying in them). We even met a couple who had been upgraded to POFQ as POP was overbooked, so they relocated them as there was plenty of room at the French Quarter.
Love the resort, but don't love that it's always excluded from discounts, even if there are rooms available.

I would go along with that theory... except, the last time we stayed there (and POFQ was excluded from discounts) the resort was unusually quiet. In fact, when we asked to stay in a specific building, they said that two of the buildings were not being occupied at the moment due to low guest numbers, so they were only placing guests in the remaining buildings (I suppose this is so they don't have to worry about housekeeping for two entire buildings if there are only a handful of guests staying in them). We even met a couple who had been upgraded to POFQ as POP was overbooked, so they relocated them as there was plenty of room at the French Quarter.
Love the resort, but don't love that it's always excluded from discounts, even if there are rooms available.

Never say never, as I recall in 2012 they were part of a Fall free-dining offer, at least for a few hours until they sold it out.

I've stayed at POFQ with the stay, play, dine offer. And I used to get a 20% AAA room only discount. Seems Disney excludes POFQ from room only discounts mostly.
Plenty of people willing to pay rack rate I guess!!

We love POR, prob more then POFQ, I enjoy the mansion section. And the lounge has great entertainment, Bob Jacksons show is not to be missed.

This may explain why they've added it back in for the most recent round of discounts. And I wonder if their definition of "full" is 100% booked. Maybe they just have to get to a certain % to feel they don't need to push a promotion to fill more rooms. I do know it was included when I booked my bounceback, my TA didn't have any trouble getting me availability there.

POFQ is available in discounts. We were at WDW in October and booked the bounceback at POFQ with free dining for next October 2015. They must put aside a few rooms for bouncebacks and discounts and once they are taken then the rest of the rooms are only available for full price.

This may explain why they've added it back in for the most recent round of discounts. And I wonder if their definition of "full" is 100% booked. Maybe they just have to get to a certain % to feel they don't need to push a promotion to fill more rooms. I do know it was included when I booked my bounceback, my TA didn't have any trouble getting me availability there.

It's not in the recent round of discounts... I just tried yesterday and even though the spring code doesn't state that any resorts are excluded, after an hour wait on the phone, they told me it was. Also, POR is only available in the discounts for a Royal room, no standards are discounted.

They definitely do "Fall" bounce backs and some FD rates (again, mostly for Sept or early Fall) but we don't do FD (just can't eat nearly enough to make it worthwhile) and our holiday times are always different, so bouncebacks wouldn't apply (even if we did get offered one, which has never happened).

We've stayed at POFQ twice with discounts - in 2012 with a FD pin code and in 2014 with a FD bounceback offer. We also booked POFQ with FD bounceback for next September. (Is it obvious that POFQ is our favorite?) It's not that POFQ is completely excluded from all discounts, but I think all of their discounted rooms are typically taken before general public offers are released. This resort is much smaller than many others, so they have less discounted rooms to offer in the first place, or they might not need to offer any discounts during peak season.

I agree that POFQ is not always excluded from discounts. We have stayed there twice with excellent RO pin discounts. But I agree that due to their small size, the number of discounted rooms available are probably few, and there is rarely a need (from their perspective) for them to include the resort in GP discount offers.

Stayed at POFQ last August, booked with a FD PIN. While there, we were able to book the FD bounceback for this coming August. So it's not always excluded, but the number of rooms available may be very small.

Because it is small and popular, and they can reach a desired level of occupancy there without offering discounts.

Agreed, it is not excluded from all discounts, but is now usually excluded from all discounts open to the general public. It can still be had via a targeted discount if you are lucky enough to be eligible for one.

Seems to only be excluded from RO discounts these days. When I booked in October, the CM told me to watch for RO discounts around January and I could switch my reservation to the discounted room. No such luck.

Guess it's payback for the sweet deal I got a year ago. Travelocity had a big sale and I ended up getting a POFQ "River View" room for $74 a night. Couldn't believe it at the time and thought I would check-in and they would tell me it wasn't valid, but it worked out perfectly. Probably won't see deals like that again... but it's always worth it to check Travelocity now and then :)

I only book with discounts ;) and I've booked POFQ with discounts several times. POR just always has a lot more availability.

As PPs have mentioned, POFQ aren't ALWAYS excluded from discounts. They are often available through pins as well. It will solely depend on the projections and bookings. Last free dining, POR was blacked out too which was a first. You never know.

That being said, POFQ has gotten increasingly popular in the last 1-2 years and since they are still the smallest, you'll see them blacked out first before another resort in the mod category.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter