WHY is Peter Pan…?

I love PPF and not just because of nostalgia, although that does play a part. I remember the first time I rode--in 1964 at DL--I was shocked, thrilled, and excited when the boat took off through the window. Even though I know it's going to do that, I still get that thrill.

it's just a beautifully done old-school dark ride. Flying over London is my favorite part and when we RD, we try to ride at least a couple of times. The queue at WDW is wonderful.

And while I'm here . . . I miss the dark Snow White ride. It was one of my favorites and I'd always do it at least twice when I was at MK. I was very disappointed they got rid of it when they built 7DMT. I mean, Snow White is a big deal at Disney--she could have 2 rides!

But one other factor that makes a ride popular to hit first that is unrelated to the quality of the attraction is geography. Peter Pan has many of the same characteristics in Tokyo as it does in Anaheim but it's not as popular of a first attraction there because of how they do rope drop. Usually, you have to rush from the gates and Peter Pan is far in Tokyo, especially if they close off the castle area for a morning performance. That makes attractions like Monsters Inc more popular for rope drop in Tokyo. However, in Anaheim, Peter Pan is actually one of the closest attractions to rope drop. If Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan switched locations it's possible that Alice would be the more popular first attraction.

I dont think so. In Disneyland Paris Peter Pan is at the back of Fantasyland. During the early opening for onsite guests is when the wait time is lowest, once the general opening time hits, the wait times go right up, the same as in California.

Disneyland Paris doesn't have the nostalgia factor, at least not as much as the US. As the park didn't open till 1992. But it still the busiest ride in Fantasyland in Paris.

Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice, Toad, are all drive bys, Peter Pan is flying. It's much more exciting, especially for a child to climb aboard a flying ship than a generic vehicle. Toad is slightly more interesting.
Isn't it so that Snow White's scary adventures got more complaints from parents about it being too scary for little ones than all the other rides combined? I can't imagine that Pinocchio and Alice are more popular than Peter Pan as movie, and I doubt that there are many kids (and adults) nowadays who have seen Mr. Toad. Even with it being available on Disney Plus. Besides that, Mr. Toad is also pretty dark.

Peter Pan is way more fun. Peter Pan is a great hero to follow. Who saw the movie and didn't want to be Peter, Wendy or a lost boy? Peter Pan's reputation as a character and a movie is much better than all the other rides.

Combine that with it being for the entire family, it makes total sense that it is this popular.

Peter Pan's Flight can process 1,200 guests per hour, which is not a lot in comparison to other big rides. With it being slow loading, queues build up easily.

Last edited:
Disneyland Paris doesn't have the nostalgia factor, at least not as much as the US. As the park didn't open till 1992. But it still the busiest ride in Fantasyland in Paris.

Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice, Toad, are all drive bys, Peter Pan is flying. It's much more exciting, especially for a child to climb aboard a flying ship than a generic vehicle. Toad is slightly more interesting.
Isn't it so that Snow White's scary adventures got more complaints from parents about it being too scary for little ones than all the other rides combined? I can't imagine that Pinocchio and Alice are more popular than Peter Pan as movie, and I doubt that there are many kids (and adults) nowadays who have seen Mr. Toad. Even with it being available on Disney Plus. Besides that, Mr. Toad is also pretty dark.

Peter Pan is way more fun. Peter Pan is a great hero to follow. Who saw the movie and didn't want to be Peter, Wendy or a lost boy? Peter Pan's reputation as a character and a movie is much better than all the other rides.

Combine that with it being for the entire family, it makes total sense that it is this popular.

Peter Pan's Flight can process 1,200 guests per hour, which is not a lot in comparison to other big rides. With it being slow loading, queues build up easily.
I didn't know that parents complained about Snow White. It was scary, but good scary, at least to me. And I could ride it over and over at certain times of day/night because there was never a huge line. So I loved that as well! Now if only FoP had no line!!!

We decided to do Peter Pan after the fireworks on Friday night... What a nightmare. People were running and pushing, people arguing who was there first etc. They opened 2 of the ropes behind the carousal and it was a free for all. I definitely won't be trying that again. Not sure how they could stop it maybe have one rope and have everyone in line behind each other for it and walk them over to the ride.

We decided to do Peter Pan after the fireworks on Friday night... What a nightmare. People were running and pushing, people arguing who was there first etc. They opened 2 of the ropes behind the carousal and it was a free for all. I definitely won't be trying that again. Not sure how they could stop it maybe have one rope and have everyone in line behind each other for it and walk them over to the ride.

I did this one year. The rick is that there is actually a pre line up. You have to be there BEFORE the fireworks start and the line starts as soon as they put the ropes up to close Fantasyland for the fireworks.

I sat on the wall at the Carousel and watched the CM's. The pre line up starts at the rope at the hedge at Mr Toads Wild ride. When I was there , I was first in line, the hedge was on my left side and the cm's put up a rope on my right side to create a pen and everyone lined up behind me.

We watched the fireworks from that line , and even saw the Fire Marshal doing the checks afterwards. When they were ready to re open, the cm's first opened the rope in front of me and got us to walk into Toads line area. They closed the ropes again once that was full. Then they walked us into Peter Pan queue area. Once we were walking through Peter Pans queue area they opened the rest of the ropes and allowed everyone into Fantasyland. I was first on Peter Pan after the fireworks.

I did this one year. The rick is that there is actually a pre line up. You have to be there BEFORE the fireworks start and the line starts as soon as they put the ropes up to close Fantasyland for the fireworks.

I sat on the wall at the Carousel and watched the CM's. The pre line up starts at the rope at the hedge at Mr Toads Wild ride. When I was there , I was first in line, the hedge was on my left side and the cm's put up a rope on my right side to create a pen and everyone lined up behind me.

We watched the fireworks from that line , and even saw the Fire Marshal doing the checks afterwards. When they were ready to re open, the cm's first opened the rope in front of me and got us to walk into Toads line area. They closed the ropes again once that was full. Then they walked us into Peter Pan queue area. Once we were walking through Peter Pans queue area they opened the rest of the ropes and allowed everyone into Fantasyland. I was first on Peter Pan after the fireworks.
I wish they had of done that the night were were there... They just came over and said they were lowering this rope and the one on the other side. Kids were running ahead of their parents and then the parents were trying to catch up with them. Nightmare....

I've wondered the same thing; and it seems to be a California phenomenon. I don't think Peter Pan in Florida has the same cult following. I could be wrong!
VERY WRONG.....The MK version is packed also and much better than the DL version

Can ANYONE tell me what the heck is going on with Capt. Hook's voice in this ride? I love the ride but I'm immediately wrenched out of the immersion when the Capt. says "help me Mr. Smee, help me" in what sounds like an 18-year old boy's voice, rather than anything approximating Hans Conried.

First ride I ever took my son on - and I did not realize how loud and dark it would seem to a 3-year old lol! He didn't trust m the rest of the trip! Didn't some of the "car" lights in London move like traffic rushing along a busy street or am I just imagining that? In my mind at least that was one of my favorite things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter