Why don't I get Wishes and Illuminations?

I ADORE Wishes! I cried the both time I saw it on my trip, it was so emotional. For me it was my first time, so that fed into it, but for me it was Disney magic at it's peak.
I like Illuminations too, but I don't think it's as great as people say.

I like Wishes (it has repeat value!), Illuminations was cool (Though I've only seen it once recently.), and New Years at MK was spectacular! (But I really LOVE fireworks so....)

I liked the Magic Memories, and You projection show best. :)

~Bill

. . . But its ok really, and yes both have story lines to them. I can not even listen to Wishes without getting a lump in my throat . . .

1) I find that the words to Wishes are tough to hear at times.
2) When one knows the words, it makes more sense.
3) If you read Sammie's lyrics, they do have meaning.

NOTE: Kind of like singing along with "Louie, Louie" or "Jumpin'
Jack Flash". When one knows all the words, the song takes on
a totally different meaning than many think.

NOTE2: Whether "Wishes" or "Illuminations", the presentation that
always got to me was the original "Colors" from the Kodak intro.

A mistake is looking at both Wishes and Illuminations as "just fireworks."
They are perfectly timed, layered, firework shows. For instance, they know exactly how long it takes each shell to go up and explode right in time with the music or narration. If a piece requires 2.8 seconds to go up and explode, it is fired 2.8 seconds ahead of that music cue. That's precision. Plus there will be layers of high altitude pieces with low altitude exploding at the same time to produce a certain look. Illuminations can be viewed from all around the lagoon, but best viewed directly across from the American Pavillion. Wishes is best viewed from Main Street directly in front of the Cinderella Castle because the Castle is part of the overall picture. I like to be in the area of Casey's Corner. Worst place on Main Street is down by the Train Station. Yes, you get out of the park quicker but you miss the real beauty of the fireworks show. And that's a big part of why I am there. Enjoy the fireworks, it is not just people lighting some stuff. It is Imagineers that have designed a rehearsed a show for you.

Thanks, Light. I'll check out the view from Casey's Corner. Much like I should have realized that by skipping Splash Mountain I was missing much more than a flume ride, it didn't occur to me that there would be so much detail. I'm going to print out a copy of the lyrics to Wishes to have with me as well. After seeing so much amazing magic, I guess it can be easy to sometimes forget that it's everywhere--I just found out about Tinker Bell flying around the castle. I actually feel kind of dumb for not noticing all of this before. :laughing:

I've always loved the drama of Illuminations. The fireballs, the timing of the fireworks with the music. After seeing it multiple times it is not as exciting but I still love the music and the timing of the fireworks.

DW loves Wishes much more. We saw the holiday Wishes this time and she commented after that the regular Wishes show is till her favorite. It is very Disney is all I can describe.

While I love Wishes I don't get Illuminations either. It's neat and ok but that's it, just ok. Once you have seen it I don't see the appeal of seeing it again. I have wanted to love it and get it like others do around here but I've tried several times and it's still just ok. Not worth changing my plan around for or fighting the mass exodus after the show either.

The first time I saw Illuminations was in a private viewing area across the pond from WS around the gift shop and it was amazing! Seeing the globe up close to be able to understand the story along with the fireworks teared me up. I thought it was amazing. Since then have viewed from around WS without clearly seeing the pictures projected on the globe. Definitely not the same effect for me although I do enjoy the fireworks.

Illuminations is my favorite. I think some people are reading too much into the "story". Yes - the composer had a story in mind when composing but like many musical compositions, it's not the type of story with a narrative that someone can "get" just from listening to it. Yes - even without knowing anything it can create a mood and feelings but you're not going to see Illuminations and go "oh wow! That was about creating the world! However, also like many musical compositions, when you know the story the composer is trying to tell, you'll hear the music differently as well.

I actually have the score on a CD that I play now and then in the car - I love listening to how it's put together - it's really a great uplifting piece of music.

I don't "get" them either. I thought it was just me. :confused3

We're not alone, but I feel a little like my heart must be made of ice. I do my best to avoid crowds. Wishes = crowds. Not a huge fireworks fan, but even less of a fireworks + music fan - adding crowds = cranky mommy :sick:

Parades, I feel, are between me and where I want to be. Yup, heart is an icy core. :upsidedow

Hey Lucas! See you on the boat for some turkey!

Different strokes for different folks.

I've seen Illuminations more times that I needed to. I stopped watching it and now we use it as time to ride Test Track just....one....more....time...before the park closes. :) When everyone else is picking spots to see the show, we hit the rides.

I like Wishes much more but again, after seeing these shows numerous times, we use the shorter ride lines to our favor. (but be warned, the line for Peter Pan will still be HUGE!).

:wizard:

My 19yo dd and I have been playing the Wishes/Parade music on our iPods for weeks now and can't wait to get there in less than a week! For our family, there is something truly magical about standing in the center of the MK watching the parade (MSE this year) and then Wishes with the music and castle and everything! My dh suprised me with one of the 100th Anniversary Mickey Mouse stuffed toys during the parade that visit and it made me cry! That meant more than any really expensive gift could have. Now my dh's fuzzy moments are on Pirates and Spaceship Earth! :rotfl2:

I love the music to both and have them in my car..But the shows are ok...I will watch them if I am already there, but not going out of my way to see them.I feel the same about Fantasmic..Maybe because they all generate ridiculous crowds and I would rather not deal with it

I like both shows, as I appreciate the cost and effort Disney puts in to making them happen. Wishes is sometimes too crowded for us, so we've skipped it on at least as many trips as we've watched it.

I'm not the sort to pay much attention to the "this represents that" bit. I'm a fairly smart gal...if the meaning of a painting/movie/show has to be explained in detail for me to "get" it, I don't bother contemplating it too much. With Illuminations, I pretty much say to myself "Gee. That's a good bit of technology with that globe there".

I'm a Philistine, I suppose. :rotfl:

I love fireworks, but to me Wishes is just a good fireworks display. Not great, certainly not bad, just good.
Worst place on Main Street is down by the Train Station. Yes, you get out of the park quicker but you miss the real beauty of the fireworks show.
Maybe that's why, though; the time we saw it from inside the park we were at the train station.

Illuminations is the best fireworks show I have seen in person. I think the Sydney new year's eve fireworks is probably the best show there is, period but I haven't seen it live.

I like Wishes but the crowds are so crazy that I never get close enough to get the full effect and don't enjoy it as much. I do like it over the 4th weekend, probably my favorite version of the MK fireworks.

I will likely cry just trying to type up this post at work. Awesome.

One of my favorite memories from our Disney trip was standing on Main Street, my husband and I each holding one of our children, watching Wishes. Listening to the words, and seeing their little faces and wondering what the future holds for them...well, it sent me into a blubbering mess. And here I am again, at work, just thinking about that moment. LOL.

Not silly to me at all!! Thank you for posting the lyrics. Wasn't even listening to the music and I started crying just READING them and KNOWING how I feel when I'm there. Thanks!! You're AWESOME!! :thumbsup2

SAME HERE! :thumbsup2

Wishes has never really done anything for me, but Illuminations gets me every time and I listen to it in the car frequently.

It also holds a lot of personal sentimental value to me. I am glad I have it on CD so when it changes one day I will still be able to enjoy it.

One of the reasons we love staying at the Boardwalk is being able to walk over for Illuminations at night. I love watching the images on the globe and each time I try to notice something I haven't noticed in the past. I must have seen Illuminations at least 50 or 60 times and I still love it. As a PP stated, the holiday "Peace on Earth" tag makes it even better. I would go to Disney in December just to enjoy that extra 4 minutes of Illuminations. I think that the whole theme of Epcot is beautifully summarized in Illuminations.

Agreed. For me its much harder to understand why folks would not stay for these night shows. :confused3 To each their own I guess. The music is great and its all a feast for the eyes/ears at no additional charge, and usually great weather. I'm not in a hurry to get back to 4 walls in a resort room-except maybe when one wall is glass overlooking the MK at BLT of course. :thumbsup2

SAME HERE! :thumbsup2

Wishes has never really done anything for me, but Illuminations gets me every time and I listen to it in the car frequently.

It also holds a lot of personal sentimental value to me. I am glad I have it on CD so when it changes one day I will still be able to enjoy it.

Same here (except Wishes is great for us)-only problem I have is keeping the volume from making me hearing impaired, such a great score. :listen:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter