• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why does Disney make it hard for larger families?

Mark Vines

Earning My Ears
I am married with a step-daughter (16), two sons (10 & 8), one adopted son (5) and two foster daughters (15 months and 4 months). That first and last family trip we took was in December of 2013. Unfortunately, I did not know about this site at the time and hadn’t discovered the DIS Unplugged podcast as well. In fact, that trip did not go as well as I had hoped because I wasn’t as prepared as I wish I had been. When I got back I promised myself I would do the research before planning our next trip. That is when I came across the DIS Unplugged YouTube page and my addiction began!

I am now looking to plan a Disney World trip this upcoming fall but find it difficult to plan the trip and stay on Disney property considering my options are limited unless I am able to spend a ridiculous amount of money (which I cannot). I do realize that if we stay offsite we will spend less money but if I am going to plan a trip for the family we will want to stay onsite. Mainly because of theming but also for the convenience factor, free parking (we will drive to Orlando), fast pass selections and the possibility of free dining (I realize that this is very hard to get now). When we came in 2013 we stayed at All Star Music in one of their suites. This was fine for our family at the time but now we have added two more little ones. This seems to leave me with very few options. The All Star Music & Art of Animation suites state that they can sleep up to 6 adults. Not sure what that means for us since we have two adults and 6 children. Except for the campsites (which my wife would never approve), everything else onsite that would hold our family would be well out of our price range.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any large families out there that have dealt with these same issues?

Mark

Nearly anywhere you go, hotel rooms sleep 4 unless you get a deluxe or upgraded room. I've even seen many that only sleep 2 or 3. So, WDW is not any different than the majority.

When WDW says "sleeps 6 adults", they mean 6 people plus 1 infant in a crib.

You are a family of 8. You could book 2 rooms in a value resort. Ask for connecting rooms. They do their best to accommodate.

Disney doesn't make it any harder than most/all hotels in the US. The average family demographic is not 8 family members. I don't think any hotel will accommodate you all in one room.
Your best bet is to rent points for a 2 BR DVC Villa that can sleep 8.
Your other options are 2 Value rooms or off site
Good Luck.

I responded to your other post on this topic. I would look at renting dvc points but make sure you know the pros and cons and also look at the treehouse villas

I also responded to your other post. We are a large family, I don't expect special accommodations. I understand my large family is not the norm. We camp and I am grateful that Disney allows up to 10 people per site. We camp regularly on vacation in our own trailer because it's far more comfortable and cheaper than staying in two rooms. But two rooms is always an option. The cheapest route would be two rooms in a value, next cheapest would be two rooms in a moderate. You can also rent DVC points or pay for a 2 or 3 bedroom villa. You can also stay offsite.

This is something we regularly encounter when traveling with a large family. We are going to a wedding next week out of town, not Disney related, and we booked two rooms. It's really the only option. I know most hotels don't have suites that sleep 7-8 and when they do the prices are usually pretty high. So we opt for the multiple room option.

It isn't so much that they make it hard for larger families, it just IS hard for larger families.
More people cost more money, always. There is maximum capacity to be considered. While you may feel a family suite is large enough, you don't fit within the guidelines.
Listen, I'm the youngest of 7 and my DH & I have 4 kids ourselves. There are a million benefits to having a large family & I wouldn't trade it for the world. But there's a price to pay for it too.

Yes look into renting points. I rented points for a 1br villa at AKL Jambo House and it was great!!! I paid $1500 for 5 nights - you could look into a 2br for your family.

All the best to you!

The treehouse villas should be a good choice. We had 5 adults in our treehouse and it was comfortable and easily room for 8. The only way the campground would be an option for you is if you look into renting an RV. Many models of rvs have room to sleep large families (local companies will set the rig up for you). The cabins however only sleep 6.

Look into Wyndham Bonnet Creek (the timeshare condos, not the hotel portion)... although technically not on-site, it is immediately adjacent to CBR. WDW parking is not free, and you won't have EMH, etc... but the cost savings can be huge. Condo owners get nervous as a week gets closer, and they cut their rate to keep the unit full. A couple years ago we had a 3 bedroom unit for $500/week! Although not Disney themed, they are nice with lots of swimming pools. Don't book through Wyndham though, try resellers, eBay, VRBO, etc.

We adopted twin teen girls from Colombia. This spring we are going to Disney, and are bringing a friend. We will fit in CBR as one girl is short enough for the fold down bed. In the future we might adopt one more kid, so we will need to go off site thereafter.

I wish WDW had a less expensive answer for families with more kids.

Well, OP, I agree with what you're saying. There are only 4 of us, but I often wonder why Disney followed the norm in hotel room layout in a place that is primarily geared toward families. AOA gives more options, but I really think they could use some similar rooms at some of the mods and deluxes. We've rented points before too; it's a very cost-effective option. Just do your research.

Well, OP, I agree with what you're saying. There are only 4 of us, but I often wonder why Disney followed the norm in hotel room layout in a place that is primarily geared toward families. AOA gives more options, but I really think they could use some similar rooms at some of the mods and deluxes. We've rented points before too; it's a very cost-effective option. Just do your research.

The thing is, the "typical" family is like 3.something. An average American family fits in a regular hotel room. There are several options at Disney that sleep up to 5, including 2 at the moderate level. AOA has many dedicated family suits, which can hold families with up to 4 kids. Families with 5+ kids are really more the exception than the rule.

OP, you could definitely book 2 rooms at a value resort or rent points at a DVC property.

We are a family of 6 and while the standard rooms do not fit, we found just to be creative! We either look at two rooms, or you mentioned the campsites. This last trip we rented a trailer from Florida Camper Rentals and they were amazing! Our trailer slept 12 and are very clean and spacious! They are in no way roughing it! We have all the benefits of staying on a Disney resort and it was cheaper!

As others have said, Disney is the same as any other hotels and actually I think they give more options than most. ALL Disney hotel rooms are overpriced, no reason to expect otherwise no matter your family size. What one could say is that we all have family sizes that we have budgets for and work within.

You have been given good options. We are a family of 5 and when we all go to Disney, not often we all do as DH could take or leave it, we stay off property in a condo or suite. It's what we have to do for our family comfort and Disney budget.

If I were firm on staying on property, I would book two value rooms and put in a "request" for connecting rooms. On the chance it doesn't happen I would have my suitcases packed for one parent in each room and kids accordingly, whether it is a boys room and girls room, or however. The worse would be to get to non-connecting rooms and have to shift all the clothing in the bags.

The thing is, the "typical" family is like 3.something. An average American family fits in a regular hotel room. There are several options at Disney that sleep up to 5, including 2 at the moderate level. AOA has many dedicated family suits, which can hold families with up to 4 kids. Families with 5+ kids are really more the exception than the rule.

OP, you could definitely book 2 rooms at a value resort or rent points at a DVC property.
Which moderates sleep 5? I know about POR (although that really only works if the 3rd kiddo is small). I'm curious since my 2 REALLY hate sharing a bed :/ We love AoA but it's nice to know all my options!!

Which moderates sleep 5? I know about POR (although that really only works if the 3rd kiddo is small). I'm curious since my 2 REALLY hate sharing a bed :/ We love AoA but it's nice to know all my options!!

POR and CBR both have rooms that have a Murphy style pull out that is 63 inches long. So the kid doesn't have to be very small to fit on it.

POR and CBR both have rooms that have a Murphy style pull out that is 63 inches long. So the kid doesn't have to be very small to fit on it.
So POR doesn't have that trundle anymore? Are the Murphy beds in all rooms or just certain ones? Preferred?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter